What is the ultimate, cost-no-object solid state amp today?
Apr 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Polls on something like this are going to be misleading and of little use to you. There are few enough people here who have heard even one of the amps we're talking about here, let alone 3 or 4 or all of them. Your poll will only reveal which amp has been heard by the most people, not necessarily the "best" or the best for you.

Yep, that did cross my mind as well and struck me as an unavoidable problem. That's why I'm thinking to ask people who are voting to explain why they voted the way they did, what else they've heard from the list and what sound(sig) they're after.
You're right, but it still appears interesting, to me at least.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 78
Anyone familar with either the Audio Technica DHA 3000 or the Gilmore Reference caring to tell whether they are on par or not with amps I never had the opportunity to listen to, like e.g. Balanced B22, Headamp GSX, Max Headroom, Meier Audio Opera, Ray Samuels Apache, RudiStor RP010, Singlepower SS1, Naim Headline 2...?

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the source thing, covered, thanks.
wink.gif

Off topic. I was wondering about your results of the secondary mods on the Marantz, have your impressions been written up yet?

Cheers,

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #66 of 78
I'm curious, as I'm always thinking of upgrading, what the top amps listed in this thread have in single-ended mode that betters the Graham Slee Solo. The only flaw with the Solo to my ears is the lack of certain types of coloration, if that's what one is after. What do you get with upgrading to something like a B22, RPX-100, Apache, from a Solo? (other than balanced mode) I suppose the obvious answer is more of everything good?

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #68 of 78
digger945
eek.gif

Has anyone ever told you you must be psychic?

I'm not kidding. I'm literally 20 minutes away from making a post on just this subject. How did you know? Your spider sense must have been tingling...

Eerie!
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #69 of 78
I don't know big guy, I just "click" with the fine folks here on the best forum on the planet
ksc75smile.gif
Basically the reason I asked is because I have been researching heavily since looking at the FS ad for an Apache (ouch!) a couple of days ago.
I just got my answer from naamanf about the Buffalo vs. 0404usb as source. He picks the Buffalo of course.

OK, your next. I eagerly await your post and findings, oh and btw, have you looked at the latest objectivist and subjectivist forums over at the Members lounge? I think you will like. Thanks a bunch Mark.

Now gimme 20 bucks and I'll give you next weeks lotto numbers
biggrin.gif
(blush)
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #71 of 78
I was going to maybe experiment with another top-level SS amp just to see, but eventually decided, since all I wanted was balanced functionality, to replace my single-ended Rudistor RP010 with the version that adds balanced functionality, the RP010B (small difference in name, big difference in price
tongue.gif
). I was so happy with the RP010, why not skip the expense and hassle of trying another amp and just upgrade within Rudi's line (besides, where else can I get remote volume control?
L3000.gif
).

Here's the thread on this so far:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hic...lanced-355367/

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #72 of 78
I think that once you reach certain level of performance, the choice is more a matter of preference and what you are after in music, and maybe the synergy between the system and the headphones of preference, than the actual topology...
I'm not very fond of judging electronic gear, just based on topologies alone, and just for the academic value that they may have, or whom the designer was, sound is all for me, and IMO regardless of how a device was designed, I have to listen it to form an opinion...People could rave all they want, but for sad experience, sorry my ears must be the judge...and I encourage all to do the same...hearing first hand expereince is all about in this hobby...
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #73 of 78
I think I understand Mark.

I'm not there yet, Sovkiller, but soon.

Not knowing what a new piece of gear will sound like, for me, is most of the enjoyment of the hobby anyway.
Finally being "in the zone" would no doubt quickly become boring, for me of course.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #74 of 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Back