What is the ultimate, cost-no-object solid state amp today?
Apr 20, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #46 of 78
A huge difference between the NAPSC and Supercap.
smily_headphones1.gif

And even a better improvements heard when hooked to a 552 tape out.

That said, it also depends on which fones are used as well. Obviously, more resolving the fones, the improvements are more apparent.

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

The only one I haven't heard with the R10 is the RP010, which I listened to with the Qualia (which fits me well, and I prefer to the R10) among other cans. Another point to keep in mind, is that these top-class amps, some of which can be had for less than $2k, are transparent enough to show what $10k+ sources are capable of. I wouldn't bother dumping the cash into one of these amps, unless I had at minimum a ~$3.5k source (used EMM Labs DCC2 comes to mind at that price). Perhaps the dynahi or B22 would be otherwise justifiable if one primarily uses the K1000. But I think these amps are overkill for the mid-high end DAC's and CDP's that a lot of folks on head-fi favor.

I've got the source thing, covered, thanks.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #48 of 78
Apr 20, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #49 of 78
My balanced β22 is the best amp I've heard to date. Mine has dual Sigma22 power supplies in a separate enclosure which I'd highly recommend.

As far as builders go the ones that come to mind are fierce_freak, naamanf, thrice and ferrari. You'd have to check with them as to availability, I'm not sure they all take on outside work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We had a Seattle Meet not too long ago, with a head to head comparison of a RPX-100 and a Beta 22.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/su...5-08-a-282351/

However it was a balanced RPX-100 vs. a SE β22. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Senns. sound much, much better through the balanced outputs of my β22 than from the SE output. So not really a fair comparison IMO.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a GS-X and balanced beta22 and in my opinion there are as good as it gets. At listening volumes I can not tell the difference between the two after a couple weeks of listening. Both are amazing with the HD-650s.

With the AH-D5000's I'm assuming markl is using I thought I should state that actually in my case (single box beta22) the GS-X is slightly preferred to the beta22 because it's got a little less noise when the volume is cranked (no way to listen to music I'd blow my ear drums out) but I know that this can be rectified easily because it's only in one channel (I'm going to give it a try this weekend but it appears to a wire sitting somewhere it shouldn't).

Well my beta is now off at Vlad's for some repair something went south in the sigma22 board late last night and it now has no output voltage
frown.gif
Oh well it'll be up and running sometime soon. I may (or Vlad may) rewire it too since the current cabling is stiffer than heck and puts a lot of stress on the solder. I want the next owner to enjoy it and not have to worry about issues.

Oh well I still have the GS-X which is flat out amazing. I can state categorically after weeks of comparison (volume matched with a SPL meter) that I can't hear any difference other than the noise issue. The have equal levels of slam but again I don't listen very loud in general (louder than conversation but not ROCK CONCERT) and maybe that's why I can't hear any difference. I tried some stuff up at higher volumes but couldn't really get a good volume match (stepped attenuators) and in general they sounded identical except the one that was louder had "more slam".

I'd vote GS-X in the end but mostly because you don't have to worry about fit and finish and it's designed to be upgradeable (though the MOSFET board still seems to be mythical at this stage).

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My balanced β22 is the best amp I've heard to date. Mine has dual Sigma22 power supplies in a separate enclosure which I'd highly recommend.

What is the advantage of having two Sigma22's?

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the advantage of having two Sigma22's?

As far as dual sigma22s go I'm not sure for headphones other than the possibilty of driving more load. The separate enclosure is a big plus since it gets the transformer away from the beta22 amplifier boards and cuts down on the electromagnetic interference which can be significant.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

As far as builders go the ones that come to mind are fierce_freak, naamanf, thrice and ferrari. You'd have to check with them as to availability, I'm not sure they all take on outside work.

However it was a balanced RPX-100 vs. a SE β22. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Senns. sound much, much better through the balanced outputs of my β22 than from the SE output. So not really a fair comparison IMO.

It had Balanced and 1/4 jack connections, obviously the comparisons were made with the quarter jack, but yeah it woulda been a better comparison had the b22 been dual mono.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Having also heard Steve's Beta22, I concur, and, in fact, better than most dynamic tube amps I have heard as well.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Me, defenitely not! Due to a very busy full time job, I don't have much free time.
I build amps (not only headphone amps) and speakers just for fun in my limited spare time.
Actually, I have been starting doing that almost 20 years ago, when I was a college student electronics engineering.
My current job is non-technical and has nothing to do with electronics, but hey... I have a GREAT hobby !!!

I'm pretty sure that naamanf and thrice are very reliable builders and they have built amps for other Head-fiers.
Just shoot them a PM.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #57 of 78
I haven't heard these amps, but can somebody who has heard them comment on how they compare with an Audio Technica DHA3000 (can't refrain from posting a pic, what a beauty!
smily_headphones1.gif
) or with a Gilmore Reference (no pic because it's ugly - but what a fantastic sound it has...)?

Sooo... would the DHA3000 and / or the Gilmore Reference compete / win / loose in a comparison with the amps mentioned in this thread so far?

Amp-01.jpg

_DSC0001.jpg

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the source thing, covered, thanks.
wink.gif

That post was not so much for your benefit, but just to be clear that as nice as it might be to debate some of these amps, they are overkill for a very large number of people. Such people might be able to afford a $2k amp, but not necessarily the source needed to fully utilize it.

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #59 of 78
Absolutely interesting thread. I have only looked at the Rudistor amps so far and it struck me that the price of the Beta is actually les than the RPX-33 while, if I get it right, is being rated above the latter.
I still have to save up my money before taking the plunge so I'm using this time figuring out what's out there on the market.
It would have been nice if this thread contained a poll so I'm thinking about making one soon...keep the amps coming please!

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #60 of 78
Polls on something like this are going to be misleading and of little use to you. There are few enough people here who have heard even one of the amps we're talking about here, let alone 3 or 4 or all of them. Your poll will only reveal which amp has been heard by the most people, not necessarily the "best" or the best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back