What is the "sweet spot" of amps prices?
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Corbet

100+ Head-Fier
We all know this is Head-fi, where people are known to have Audio setups ranging from $5 to $15,000+, but for some of the audiophile "noobs," it can be quite confusing regarding prices. We all know you get to a certain price when buying amps or headphones that the performance increase isn't that big compared to, say, a $10 pair of ear buds and a $50 pair of IEMs.

We all know adding an amp to your headphones can result in a huge performance increase, but at what price is the results only minimal? How much should someone really spend if they are just looking for a quality amp that will increase their performance as much as possible but not break the bank? Hell, the same applies for headphones. At what point is the performance increase not worth the extra cash?

EDIT: The real reason I'm posting this is because I'm kinda stuck at pricepoints. I've got my heart set on the DT880s and I still can't decide if I wanna spend $250 on a MKIII or something in the $100-$150 range (Headphonia, MK I)

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 21
I would say the ~$500 range is where you stop getting radical jumps in performance, and begin a slow curve on diminishing returns. That isn't to say a $1000 amp won't blow away a $500 amp, but each dollar spent is less effective than the last.

Amps like the Gilmore Lite, Woo Audio 6, M³, etc... all offer pretty substantial performance in that price range.

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 21
I agree that $500 is a "sweet" spot for home amplifiers.
Above this limit you get less sound improvements for the money than you get below this limit. Imo that is...

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 21
yep, $400 to $600

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 21
spent 600 on my eddie current rig on the strength of ryan's review on 6moons. previous to this i had only experienced the grado ra-1 and the creek obh-11...niether of which are in no way close to the ec-01 ec/dc combo.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 21
I will second what the others have said. Although I'm pretty new, I'm still educating myself daily. And from what I've read, $500 seems to be the spot. Of course buying USED helps, as well as borderline items around $400.

If you're considering the MKIII, I'd highly consider Darvoice 336i. I just ordered mine for $275 brand new, shipped from eBay. From the "comparisons thread" between the two, it seems the 336i is more recommended than the LD.

Not to mention the 336i looks better, and has better rolling options IMO.

Amp.jpg

Now tell me that doesn't look cool, at the same time calming? I can't wait for mine!

-Nick
600smile.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 21
IMO it's hard to tell.. amps of comparable quality from china are cheaper, usa/european made, on the other hand, are more expensive..

like most things you buy with money, there is a big difference between the really cheap and the 'expensive'.. yet there is little difference between the expensive and the 'really, really expensive'..

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that $500 is a "sweet" spot for home amplifiers.
Above this limit you get less sound improvements for the money than you get below this limit. Imo that is...

The price of Cantate
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will second what the others have said. Although I'm pretty new, I'm still educating myself daily. And from what I've read, $500 seems to be the spot. Of course buying USED helps, as well as borderline items around $400.

If you're considering the MKIII, I'd highly consider Darvoice 336i. I just ordered mine for $275 brand new, shipped from eBay. From the "comparisons thread" between the two, it seems the 336i is more recommended than the LD.

Not to mention the 336i looks better, and has better rolling options IMO.

Amp.jpg

Now tell me that doesn't look cool, at the same time calming? I can't wait for mine!

-Nick
600smile.gif

Are they still having flaky paint issues though? Let me know when you get yours!

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 21
I guess it is dependent on your income and what your experience with components is. Also, the quality of headphone and source will determine if the investment can be recognized. The majority of folks here like to follow the upgrade road to find their sweet spot. If they haven't lived with the higher priced systems, how can they determine the performance curve? To say that $500 is the % performance point for an amp is subjective. I might say $1k is. Someone else might think $2500 or $5000. Spending this much money does not mean the value is wasted.

This question is subjective to the viewer based on my first two sentences.

IMO

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it is dependent on your income and what your experience with components is. Also, the quality of headphone and source will determine if the investment can be recognized. The majority of folks here like to follow the upgrade road to find their sweet spot. If they haven't lived with the higher priced systems, how can they determine the performance curve? To say that $500 is the % performance point for an amp is subjective. I might say $1k is. Someone else might think $2500 or $5000. Spending this much money does not mean the value is wasted.

This question is subjective to the viewer based on my first two sentences.

IMO

I think this is largely true with anything we discuss on this site whether it be headphones, sources, or amps: the value "sweet spot', like all matters of taste, will be subjective. However, because a person cannot reasonably be expected to have heard every amplification solution between $100 and $10,000, one had to rely on the combined opinions of others.

I think it's interesting that most of the replies agree that the sweet spot is around $500. I would have no problem dropping over $5000 on an amp, but I would still tell someone that I thought $500 is the sweet spot.

I don't think your point about quality source and headphones can be stressed enough though, if you don't have a decent line level signal going into your amplifier, it doesn't matter if you're listening on an ES-2, it will still sound terrible - probably even more terrible since a good amp will accentuate the faults in a weak source. The same goes for finding a pair of cans that match well with your source.

The sweet spot is going to be necessarily higher for headphones like the R10, HE90, Omega II, etc...

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 21
IMHO...

Solid State:
The first sweet spot is right around $125. That'll get you a Mister-X XP, or Rockhopper mini^3. They further sweeten up right around the $350 mark. That should get you a nice PPA or M^3 with steps, or a used EC/SS. (flame suit on) I don't really see/hear the value in scaling things up beyond that point... at least with my cans. IMHO $$$ is better spent on a source upgrade after that point.

Tubes:
I really liked the darkvoice amps I've heard in the $300 range. I prefer them over the Little Dot amps. Next sugary spot from there would be a used Woo6, PPX, or maple-Tree at the $450-600 mark.

Maybe I am crazy, but the older Singlepower MPX "Toaster" amp sounds really sweet. Ive seen them drop to ~$650 used.

PPX-Slam is IMHO the mother of all RS1 amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back