What is the state of MQA and would it influence your decision to purchase an expensive DAC today ?
Oct 2, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #121 of 125
Not sure who to believe here. Paul seems like a shill and currawong is the same guy who says the Hugo 2 sounds better than a Yggy. I feel like I'm surrounded by people who actually don't know anything they're talking about. Then again, it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about either.

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #122 of 125
Yes. I think the Hugo 2 sounds better than my Yggy. Some people, who seem to have such a deeply emotionally invested in Schiit Audio to the point that they cannot handle anything at the same prices performing better, were offended when I said it. That is truly sad. Especially so given what great designers, and great guys Jason and Mike are. They don't need that kind of obsessive fanboy-ish behaviour.

I have Tidal Masters and they provide better sound period. You can disagree and say it is using different master. I don’t care if the add ground up coffee grounds to the filter. It sounds better even using the software Tidal App.

The next DAC I purchase will have MQA.

I don’t need to change the pitch of the music from what the Artist recorded. I’ll take the improvements MQA offers to everyone.

If it already sounds better, then you don't need an MQA capable DAC. What you're hearing are the modifications made to the original mastering, which are present in the regular, CD-quality version. If the "high res" unfolding sounds better on an MQA DAC, then it is because the filters on the DAC are so poor that the high-res output (ie: the MQA-derived filter) taking place of the DAC filters, is better. Personally I'd rather own gear that sounds good with CD-quality material instead of having my listening locked into a dubious, proprietary system.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #123 of 125
Yes. I think the Hugo 2 sounds better than my Yggy. Some people, who seem to have such a deeply emotionally invested in Schiit Audio to the point that they cannot handle anything at the same prices performing better, were offended when I said it. That is truly sad. Especially so given what great designers, and great guys Jason and Mike are. They don't need that kind of obsessive fanboy-ish behaviour.

If it already sounds better, then you don't need an MQA capable DAC. What you're hearing are the modifications made to the original mastering, which are present in the regular, CD-quality version. If the "high res" unfolding sounds better on an MQA DAC, then it is because the filters on the DAC are so poor that the high-res output (ie: the MQA-derived filter) taking place of the DAC filters, is better. Personally I'd rather own gear that sounds good with CD-quality material instead of having my listening locked into a dubious, proprietary system.

I agree with you and that was my standpoint as well. I use Roon 100% of time now. I try to listen to Tidal App with MQA unfold but when connected to yggy with usb both a cheap and $250 usb cable the track did not play consistently a few weeks ago. There are a lot of places failure can occur. I just want to listen to music sometime and not mess with the technology.

Schiit provides no way to update their firmware and I don’t buy into their planned upgrade path any longer after the usb gen5 board issues I have had.

There will be better dacs at the same prices and open to other formats and experience to implement them.

For now I’ll stick with the yggy and hope Roon delivers on their overdue MQA software unfold support
To

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #125 of 125
MQA is just a way to make smaller files sound almost as good a larger files. As internet speeds get faster and storage cheaper, MQA becomes less and less relevant. MQA might have been some kind of breakthrough 10 years ago. These days it is hard to see the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back