What is the Saddest song ever written?
Jan 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #453 of 656
A few come to mind, but if you understand the backstory of it, none really hits me harder than Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven. Based on Clapton's own son, who fell through a 53rd-floor window screen to his death.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #454 of 656
Got an unusual one for you. But i think there are a couple of ATPR people on here (they know what i mean).

Taijin Kayofusho by The Evpatoria Report

Its an instrumental track by a swiss post-rock band. Begins off with a sound sample of the last few radio transmission between the Columbia space shuttle and Houston. The song gradually builds up till at the end you have a massive crushing wall of sound that still manages to sound beautiful.

Might be hard to get hold of since the label doesnt seem to press more copies when it runs out.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #455 of 656
The saddest song I've ever heard is also the most honest it is "Here It Is" by Leonard Cohen The chorus goes: "May everyone live. May everyone die. Hello my love. My love good bye." The whole song is pure zen. But the line that got me, and when I first heard it, I broke down and sobbed, and I cry every time I hear it is:
"Here is your death, in the heart of your son." The line alone is out of context The song is really beautiful and breathtaking. Literally. It is on the CD. "Leonard Cohen: 10 Recent Songs" Not "Easy Listening," but worth the focus, attention, and willingness to endure it's beauty and bite.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #456 of 656
I don't know if it's the saddEST song I've ever heard, but it has made me cry: If This Is Goodbye on Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris' All the Road Running. I'd heard the CD a few times through before finding out what the song was actually about. Don't really want to delve into the whole 9/11 thing, but this song is told from the perspective of the folks on Flight 93 & the ones that were in the WTC, especially on the upper floors (that did not die right away). They knew they had a certain number of minutes before they were going to die. The song is about their cell phone calls to their loved ones...& what is it that you really say in those minutes.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #458 of 656
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it's the saddEST song I've ever heard, but it has made me cry: If This Is Goodbye on Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris' All the Road Running. I'd heard the CD a few times through before finding out what the song was actually about. Don't really want to delve into the whole 9/11 thing, but this song is told from the perspective of the folks on Flight 93 & the ones that were in the WTC, especially on the upper floors (that did not die right away). They knew they had a certain number of minutes before they were going to die. The song is about their cell phone calls to their loved ones...& what is it that you really say in those minutes.

Wow, I never knew that. There are 4 songs from that album that I enjoy immensely, and that's one of them.

Incidentally, the latest Mark Knopfler record is fantastic too.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #459 of 656
What an amazing thread. My personal choices:

Staralfur by Sigur Ros,
4 Minute Warning by Radiohead,
No Suprises by Radiohead

I'm sure I can think of more later.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #460 of 656
Letter to hermione by David Bowie
Its on the Space Oddity abum
Its about his girlfriend who he dated for about 3 years and formed a small trio with called feathers!
Its only a short song but its the saddest song ive ever heard
Very simple but really heart wrenching.
You can tell it cut him up quite a bit!

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #463 of 656
Bonnie Raitt's - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

Don Henley's - "The Last Worthless Evening"

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #464 of 656
Oh man.

How about:

Fairest of the Seasons- Nico
These Days- Nico

Or maybe Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead.

Then again, who does sad better than Tom Waits?

Ruby's Arms
Broken Bicycles

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #465 of 656
there are several, but today for me it is:

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's - Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World

Users who are viewing this thread

Back