What is the Saddest song ever written?
Dec 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #436 of 656
This isn't like highlander unfortunately ... there canNOT "be only one."

wink.gif

But these would top my list for sure:

Sufjan Stephens - Sister Winter(the harmonies will raise hairs)
Iron and Wine - Naked as We Came
Pernice Brothers - Chicken Wire
Bright Eyes - Waste of Paint (tragic)

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #437 of 656
Well, three of my top five have already been mentioned, but they bear re-mentioning (no order):

Billie Holiday, Strange Fruit -- beautiful song, incredibly haunting, and the context makes it ridiculously sad
Blues Traveler, Pretty Angry (for J. Sheehan) -- Definitely one of BT's best songs, can bring me to tears with the rage and sadness in John Popper's voice
Jean Michel Jarre, Ron's Piece (Rondez-vous 6) -- I'm not usually a sax fan, but that song just wails sadness
Philosopher Kings, Leave That Man -- If you want relationship despair, this song has it in spades. I can't listen to it any more.
Phil Collins, Against All Odds -- Yes, it's cheesy. Yes, it's Phil Collins. But good god, man. One of the quintessential breakup songs of all time.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #438 of 656
Didn't see this one mentioned yet:

Roberta Flack - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Another personal fave, though few will know it:

Christine Collister & Clive Gregson - No Word Of A Lie

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #439 of 656
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mozart's Requiem

Theme from Schindler's List played by the maestro Itzhak Perlman

+3 Mozart's Requiem the entire piece but more specifically the (Lacrimosa)
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
it is said that the great maestro began it (wrote the first couple of measures) and never finished it as he eventually died. knowing a little bit of this and his life while listening to it is truly one of the most moving moments in all of music. goosebumps each and every time!

not big on the Theme from Schindler's list. Decent movie, though the music is kinda cheap! typical John Williams. Can write some great music when he needs and wants to but can really stink it up big time also. always manages to fit the picture which is what i guess really counts in the end.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #444 of 656
There's plenty of sad songs around but some of the ones I particularly like

The Last Song - Elton John
The Soft Rains of April - Aha
Teddybear - Red Sovine
Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
Crying - Don McLean
Unbreak My Heart - Toni Braxton
My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion
Feelings - Morris Albert
Without You - Nielsen

There are many more but that's enough tearjerkers for now!

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #446 of 656
I can't remember the name of it, but that one from the Wedding Singer that Adam Sandler writes after his fiancee leaves him. Seriously. That hurt.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #447 of 656
You're Gonna Leave - Stephen Marley

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #450 of 656
From the Japanese side of things, I think "Aojiroi Tsuki" by Fra-Foa is by far the saddest song I've ever heard. If you understand Japanese at all, I'm positive you'll agree with me. It's about the singer losing her brother and the effect it's had on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back