What is the Minimum Age to use Custom IEMS?
Jul 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

violinvirtuoso

1000+ Head-Fier
So what is the minimum age to get a custom IEM? Obviously you shouldn't get a custom IEM for a 5 year old (new impressions every few months), but I can't see anyone waiting until they are 60 either. So how long should you wait?

Please back-up your answer (don't just throw out a number).

Custom IEM Manufacturers are especially welcome to impress their wisdom upon us youngsters.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 17
Well technically any age, dont knos if that would be a smart decision as they would out grow them in two seconds. So I personally wouldnt get a pair for a kid at least until he has gone through puberty  

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 17
You can get a custom earphone at any age... The youngest I've seen is a 10-yr old who made a pair of Livewires. But that would mean every year (or less, depending on how fast you grow!) you may have to get a refit, as your ears, ear canals, etc would have changed in shape.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Also if he/she hasn't even hit puberty Im not to sure if they have it in them to respect a custom enough were its more than a simple toy

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 17
I wouldn't say that. There are members here who are definitely under 18 but have expensive earphones but at the same time take good care of them.

I got my customs remolded pretty recently at 23 years of age. I'm actually pretty happy I didn't get it done earlier since I did go through weight changes from around 18-22. College does that to you and so does right after.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 17
well 18 is generally when puberty has ended in men and girls end around 14-16. But it hits obviously earlier, so they would be alittle to young in my eyes to own a pair of thousand dollar wires if they haven't hit puberty at all.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 17
Past puberty would be best to avoid rapid changes in ear shape/size. The audiologist I went to mentioned that significant weight gain(+/- 20) can affect ear size as well. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 17
My 6 year old loves his UE10 Pro custom IEM. The only problem is that he took them to school for show and tell and someone stole them.
Now he's mad at me and demands a new pair for Christmas. Does he think I'm made of money?

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
My 6 year old loves his UE10 Pro custom IEM. The only problem is that he took them to school for show and tell and someone stole them.
Now he's mad at me and demands a new pair for Christmas. Does he think I'm made of money?

He's too spoilt you know? He does....he might even think money only comes from daddy.
It's a good lesson for him to learn, IF you let him.

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 17
maybe you should make him work to get YOU one
devil_face.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

What...you let your kid actually show it for show and tell!? Bad parenting tbh!If I was you, I would of emphasised how precious (see expensive) they are thus he wouldn't bring it to school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back