what is the difference between copper and silver cable?
Nov 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:
Has your Clever Little Clock been treated with the Telepotation Tweak?
biggrin.gif

Needs moar Shakti Stone.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #47 of 72
I was going to do the teleportation tweak, but it costs more per minute than Miss Cleo.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:
All I've said is that to date, no one has ever demonstrated actual audible differences between cables, save for instances where the measured differences were within currently known audible thresholds. That's just a simple statement of fact.

As for my cables, the primary target is myself. And my pursuit of audio is not a utilitarian, objective pursuit but rather a wholly subjective pursuit. All I care about at the end of the day is the subjective pleasure and enjoyment I get, regardless of what the reasons for it might be. And the cables I designed give me the greatest pleasure sonically, aesthetically and philosophically. Do they make an audible difference? I don't know. Nor do I really care. I'm only concerned with the subjective pleasure I get from them at the end of the day.

se

The funny thing in this is that as someone who doesn't believe in an audible difference in cable, I may still one day buy cables from Steve Eddy simple because his cables look and feel nice, and their maker doesn't try to b******t people with pseudo science.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #53 of 72
Has your Clever Little Clock been treated with the Telepotation Tweak? :D

se

impossible. the clock is just a placebo. time does not exist. it's an illusion like everything else on this planet. we live in the matrix.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #55 of 72
As for my cables, the primary target is myself. And my pursuit of audio is not a utilitarian, objective pursuit but rather a wholly subjective pursuit. All I care about at the end of the day is the subjective pleasure and enjoyment I get, regardless of what the reasons for it might be. And the cables I designed give me the greatest pleasure sonically, aesthetically and philosophically. Do they make an audible difference? I don't know. Nor do I really care. I'm only concerned with the subjective pleasure I get from them at the end of the day.

se

So you target yourself subjectively in the design of your product, yet claim no subjective component in its sale, only an objective one. :rolleyes: How can you be both subjective and objective toward a particular product yet claim to be unaware of any subjective component ?

If your cable has no known subjective benefits that you can list, then why would anyone else [other than youself] purchase it?

One has to earn a living and I prefer earn a living doing something I enjoy rather than something that simply makes money. Audio has been a love of mine since I was a kid and that's the area I most enjoy earning a living doing.

One should keep this in mind when commenting on another.:cool:

So, Steve, why do you make cables, and at the prices you charge ($300 - $600, and more)? Aren't you doing the same thing as everyone else in the business? What makes your cables audibly better than RS, AQ, Cardas, etc? They do have interesting packaging, unique names, appear to be well made (at least mostly in the USA), and interestingly, they get good reviews in the major audio e-zines (e.g. Q-Tao reviewed by SixMoons, PFO). Maybe they were set up to take advantage of the placebo effect from a marketing perspective? And, why do you hang out in the Sound Science forum giving the "impression" that cables don't make a difference, but sell your cables obviously targeted for the audiophile market (who else could afford them)? 

The cables that I make and sell are the cables I first and foremost designed and made for myself. One has to earn a living and I prefer earn a living doing something I enjoy rather than something that simply makes money. Audio has been a love of mine since I was a kid and that's the area I most enjoy earning a living doing.

As for prices, prices are dictated by their cost to produce along with a sufficient profit to assure that the business is sustainable. The cables require a significant amount of hand labor and that accounts for a good portion of the pricing. I'd tried having them machine made to reduce the amount of hand labor, but the litz wire that I like doesn't get along well with the process of braiding cotton over it (for some reason it causes the litz wire to become kinked and twisted). So the prices I'm asking aren't for any lack of trying to make them lower.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Care to elaborate a bit?

I don't recall making any such claim so I'm not sure why you're asking this.

If I were to take such a cynical approach, I would be selling quite a different cable than I am now and marketing it in quite a different way.

As I said above, the cables I make and sell are first and foremost the cables I designed and made for myself. The only marketing is to simply say what they are, what they're made of and what they cost. In fact the other day someone suggested that perhaps I suck at marketing. To that I replied that perhaps I do, and that given what marketing has become these days, I would take some pride in that.

All I've said is that to date, no one has ever demonstrated actual audible differences between cables, save for instances where the measured differences were within currently known audible thresholds. That's just a simple statement of fact.

se

And then you have humans who have put photographs of themselves in their freezers and professed improvements in the sound of their systems.

Yet it's trivially easy to get people to subjectively perceive differences even when there are no actual differences.

So much for reliability.

That depends on what you're trusting them to do. If you're trusting them to tell you what sounds good/bad/better to you, whatever the reason may be, that's fine. But if you're trusting them to determine whether or not there is an actual audible difference, that's a whole other matter.

Tell that to those who brought up technical/measurement issues. I was only responding to those posts.

se

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #56 of 72

Quote:
 And the cables I designed give me the greatest pleasure sonically, aesthetically and philosophically. Do they make an audible difference? I don't know. Nor do I really care. I'm only concerned with the subjective pleasure I get from them at the end of the day.

se

With that kind of doublespeak, you should run for office. Seriously.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #57 of 72

Quote:

X2

Note to Steve Eddy: you're a nice guy, usually I enjoy your comments.........but seriously?

Note to Joe:  as a cable manufacturer, can you tell us why audiophile cables are so damn expensive?

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #58 of 72

Quote:
So you target yourself subjectively in the design of your product, yet claim no subjective component in its sale, only an objective one.
rolleyes.gif
How can you be both subjective and objective toward a particular product yet claim to be unaware of any subjective component ?

I don't claim any subjective benefits because any such benefits are, by definition (DUH!), subjective.

Not everyone has the same subjective experience in response to a given thing. Nor does everyone have the same subjective tastes and preferences as everyone else. I can only relate to my own subjective experience. I can't possibly tell anyone else what their particular subjective experience will be. So what would be the point other than a cynical attempt to predispose people to have certain expectations?

Quote:
If your cable has no known subjective benefits that you can list, then why would anyone else [other than youself] purchase it?

Perhaps in order to discover what their particular subjective experience will be?

And I'm afraid that's just going to have to do, because I could never bring myself to be so arrogant as to try and tell someone what their subjective experience will be or should be. If one could do that, then it would no longer be subjective, would it?

se

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #59 of 72

Quote:

What doublespeak is that? My pursuit of the enjoyment of audio and reproduced music is purely hedonistic and subjective. And to that end, I don't care whether or not something produces an actual audible difference. So I fail to see where you get the doublespeak from. Would you care to explain it?

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back