what is the difference between copper and silver cable?
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Hughkk

100+ Head-Fier
As stated in the topic, what is the difference between copper and silver cable, these two looks like the most common upgrade cable.
what is the pros and cons of both of them?

i am totaly new to this topic, so it might be a completely stupid question.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 72
The existence of difference between cables has been argued over a lot. With one side saying it doesn't do anything audible, and the other saying it does wonders like improving sound stage and tightening bass. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576426/do-high-end-audio-cables-matter

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 72
Those who believe power cables make a difference are an ever smaller subset... audio signal cables seem almost reasonable to find audible differences in.

Power cables - provided they are well shielded and of high enough capacitance, don't really matter much.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 72

Quote:
Those who believe power cables make a difference are an ever smaller subset... audio signal cables seem almost reasonable to find audible differences in.

Power cables - provided they are well shielded and of high enough capacitance, don't really matter much.

i saw people in this forum saying Burson 160 is more dependent on cables and power supply more than any other amp.
so this guy is probably in minor group? so powering an amp with usb and a power socket will result the same, if this guy is not 'right'?

and i also saw isolation wooden rack. are those also mostly placebo?

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 72
It depends on who you ask. But those of us who ask for objective scientific evidence for these things, tend to say yes - mostly placebo.

With the caveat that you do still need solid racks, and reasonably stable power, cables with enough capacitance and well soldered connectors, etc. But exotic materials, uber expensive isolation points, custom power cables, etc, fall under my personal snake oil categories.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 72
Subjectively, some people will tell you silver yields better imaging and better details while copper gives you a midbass bump to give you better bass and thus richer sound.

Objectively, silver has a lower resistance (15vs 16 nano ohms per metre) and its oxide is more stable (non-flaking, more resistance to water in the same way aluminium oxide is), which means none of that copper cable turning green aka oxidising. Copper cable oxidation is a serious issue so most cables (phone, speaker, electric) have to be changed, anywhere from 3-30 years, depending on conditions. You should also be aware that both cables will lose their metallic lattice structure with constant bending (cryoed copper treatment reduces this) and that anything beyon 99.99% pure copper is BS. 

Personally, i use copper.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 72

Quote:
Subjectively, some people will tell you silver yields better imaging and better details while copper gives you a midbass bump to give you better bass and thus richer sound.

Objectively, silver has a lower resistance (15vs 16 nano ohms per metre) and its oxide is more stable (non-flaking, more resistance to water in the same way aluminium oxide is), which means none of that copper cable turning green aka oxidising. Copper cable oxidation is a serious issue so most cables (phone, speaker, electric) have to be changed, anywhere from 3-30 years, depending on conditions. You should also be aware that both cables will lose their metallic lattice structure with constant bending (cryoed copper treatment reduces this) and that anything beyon 99.99% pure copper is BS. 

Personally, i use copper.

do u noticed significant difference before changing cable?
have u done a blindtest?

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 72
Like i told you, objectively, there is definitely a difference between silver and copper cables that can be measured by instruments. It's a matter of simple physics, higher resistance=lower power. However, i can't hear any difference between them and doubt any human can. Good quality cables are very much alike in terms of sound.

Quote:
do u noticed significant difference before changing cable?
have u done a blindtest?

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 72

The best investment I have made this year was the purchase of the Music Streamer II – found it at MacWorld 2011. I have been happily listening to my music "as new" ever since. After hearing new details in songs that have been familiar for decades, I decided that I had to go back and re-rip my entire CD collection (2,000+) using the best possible digital quality (Apple Lossless – in iTunes). If you truly love music, you must try this product. For best results, invest in a better-than-average USB cable as well, and you will be hearing every detail that your favorite artists included in the recording.

this is a review from streamerII dac,
so the guy mentioned getting a better USB. Is this guy talking BS?

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 72
Pretty much. As long as you don't have a broken USB cable - they are all made to a specific specification... audiophile USB (to me) sounds like BS - at the very least, I have not seen any reliable evidence to suggest that they make any difference whatsoever. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 72

Quote:
Pretty much. As long as you don't have a broken USB cable - they are all made to a specific specification... audiophile USB (to me) sounds like BS - at the very least, I have not seen any reliable evidence to suggest that they make any difference whatsoever. 

well i have friends having a 300USD cable for his triple fi iem.
guess it is placebo mostly then. And it makes him feel rich

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 72
I have no problem with recables for function, aesthetics, better or specialty connectors (balanced etc.) - but $300 for IEM's seems a bit much. But if he's happy - who am I to say he's wrong to spend his money that way. It's something I wouldn't do personally, and I won't recommend the product or ever suggest such a thing is necessary or will make any improvement in sound. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 72
The real problem with the silver vs. copper debate is that people assume all copper sounds one way and all silver sounds another way.  There's a lot of overlap, unexpected things...you never know, the metal sounds unique depending on a number of factors.  This is such a huge problem - that all people think copper sounds "warm" and so on - that it even clouds my judgement when I'm trying to get a handle on how something sounds.  The silver color of the silver wire, the word silver in your head, messes with you and tells you it will sound a certain way.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back