what is the cheapest/best value/budget amp?
Nov 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 30
The cheapest, best value amps are used diy. Hands down, no question. If you patiently stalk the FS forums, you will find a great deal eventually. Usually people just charge parts cost when selling DIY amps, so they are very cheap and good amps.

DIY in general can be very cheap. Building a starving student can ring in at less than $50 and that is a decent amp.

All of that said, amp recommendations don't mean much if we don't know what you want to amp. What phones do you have? What kind of music do you listen to etc?

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 30
expxe, there are lots of useful information in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking to spend maybe less than a hundred bucks, but will to go up to 200 if it is worth it

thanks

I used to own the HD555s. They are pretty good unamped but don't scale that well with better amplification. Maybe you should consider buying another pair of 'phones.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking to spend maybe less than a hundred bucks, but will to go up to 200 if it is worth it

thanks

You may want to check out the Musical Fidelity V-CAN. It goes for $169. You can get one brand new from AudioAdvisor.com

I have this amp; and it is very good for the price.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 30
You may want to look also at the Little Dot amps (Little-Tube) - I have bought from them myself and they are of high quality and very well priced (paying for direct import from China rather than western economy prices). Search through the forums for reviews / comments.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 30
Get an Indeed Hybrid amp from Ebay for less than US$50 each incl. tube and power supply and other electronics, good value and sounds very good. I bought 2. You can find reviews of this amp from this website and the same sub-forum.

Cheers.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 30
Under 200 from the top of my head not mentioned above: cmoy, total bithead/airhead, Aune, Zero, iBasso, Muse.

Another cheap amp popped up on ebay. Bravo Audi. I swear wherever you look, you can find them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 30
hi,
ive got a sennheiser pc-350 and im listening to games&music on a pc with creative x-fi titanium sound card. would an amplifier greatly increase the quality (bass, highs) of sound on pc-350? and if so, what brands do you recommend - for a price not higher than $150?
do you think this will do the trick(i live in romania and this is a romanian site): SM Pro Audio Q Amp - Amplificatoare casti | instrumente muzicale, echipamente de studio, comunitate pro-audio
it costs the equivalent of some $115. is this a portable amp or one for home use? i can see it has 4 jacks for several headphones, but i will be the only one listening, so...is this the type of amp i really need?
if not, what other type?
thank you

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 30
You might want to try looking for deals on Audiogon.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 30
ok, ive found these two headphone amps:
Pro-Ject Head Box II
Pro-Ject Head Box SE II

the second is more than double the price of first - is it worth the difference?
i will not listen loud in headphones and i will be the only one using the amp (so no need for second headphone). is the difference between 30 hz and 20 hz that big? of course im interested in a good bass response. i will only use it at my pc for games and maybe music.
or are the other characteristics relevant enough to make the bigger price worthy?

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back