what is the best portable music player to have?
May 27, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #226 of 383
I guess storage is still crap in part because DAP with flash memory are preferred. no mechanical movement= less fear of breaking something. no idea if it's still a legitimate fear nowadays, but I suspect people would still fear it.
then you have all the products from guys like sony apple... where they clearly make money on storage so they have little interest in selling only the cheapest stuff where you can add as much storage as you want yourself for cheap.

and then sure streaming is a real thing and we go with it more and more as internet improves and music providers at long last decided that living in the past might not be the brightest business model. but do we go with it because it's what we prefer, or do we go with it because we still lack storage on our own?

May 27, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #228 of 383
Yes, I think Apple was probably getting too many dropped iPods back for servicing under Apple Care.

May 27, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #229 of 383
I noticed a difference in playback quality of files through Google's Play Music App and the one that comes with LG software. Even when playing the same files through the LG player, they are noticeably more bold even when the files are offline from the Play Music App. Not a night and day difference however they do sound like they did on my computer.

As much I would like consider an iPod it's just against my ethics and would be very hypocritical of me. 

The iBasso DAP would appear to have internal memory along with SD card expansion. I read somewhere it has about 1TB support (or was that a dream) and some making comparisons to A&K DAP which 3 times the cost.....so the result is just more indecision.

When buying headphones it is much easier as you have a criteria of what they get used for and what with. Whilst using common market brands like Sony and Creative seems to be the norm when it comes to DAP I guess it's time to take music more seriously. I bookmarked a High Definition music website with DSD Single Stream, FLAC 24/96, FLAC 24/44.1 files which is suprisingly OK because they offer more than classical and jazz.

This is a very niche market and I hope it doesn't die out due to lack of support. For years, I've been wanting FLAC and WAV being buying options in more commercial releases in the digital downloads. These are few and far between it would seem. For the most part of my experience ever since getting into all of this, progress is being held back by lack of education about what really is available. 

Well my eyes have been opened once again.....

May 27, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #230 of 383

Yes. You can get a 240 gig replacement hard drive to fit in an iPod classic. Pick up a busted one cheap, add the drive and you are styling! (streaming and solid state drives are the reason why storage hasn't advanced.)

I meant more "is there something that can play HD+ video" :frowning2:

and then sure streaming is a real thing and we go with it more and more as internet improves and music providers at long last decided that living in the past might not be the brightest business model. but do we go with it because it's what we prefer, or do we go with it because we still lack storage on our own?

Once I can stream from any remote corner of the populated world at any quality I want, streaming will be great
biggrin.gif
. Until then I want more than 128G on a product that is visually and audibly appealing.

May 27, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #231 of 383

Not for me as streaming makes me depend on the current fashion, how music should sound for the majority of the customers. Network connection is also bad for the battery runtime.
I still prefer to buy the best mastering I can find and then export to the format that my current player plays best. So storage is important. But since I usually listen to a few pieces for a while, storage wise I am already happy with what I can buy today.

May 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #232 of 383
  I meant more "is there something that can play HD+ video" :frowning2:

You need to plug into a big screen TV and play back 1080p? I don't think there's any portable device that does that. But you could certainly carry a portable hard drive packed with MKVs around with you and plug in to a blu-ray player with a USB connection. That's probably the best way to transport HD video.

May 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #233 of 383

You need to plug into a big screen TV and play back 1080p? I don't think there's any portable device that does that. But you could certainly carry a portable hard drive packed with MKVs around with you and plug in to a blu-ray player with a USB connection. That's probably the best way to transport HD video.

It would be nice to have such a setup, but also nice to have a screen bigger than the Classic's to watch videos on during various travels. Having something with a native resolution of at least HD would just mean I wouldn't have to do any video re-sizing, which is a bonus.

May 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #234 of 383
I guess you're talking a tablet or laptop then.

May 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #236 of 383
I just looked it up and the iPhone 6 does 1080. But you would have to hold it right up to your face to be able to see the full resolution, because the screen is only 5.5 inches. You'd need very sharp eyes! Maybe they could make some sort of goggles that the iPhone drops into that optically makes it seem like the screen is bigger and further away. Kind of like a stereoptican viewer

May 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #237 of 383
  I just looked it up and the iPhone 6 does 1080. But you would have to hold it right up to your face to be able to see the full resolution, because the screen is only 5.5 inches. You'd need very sharp eyes! Maybe they could make some sort of goggles that the iPhone drops into that optically makes it seem like the screen is bigger and further away. Kind of like a stereoptican viewer

And something for the ears to better hear hires audiofiles.

May 27, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #238 of 383

Like I said, the resolution is more about convenience than any visible improvement. I'd basically love to see the following:

.Screen size like current "big" phones
.Screen resolution 1080+
.OS on reasonably-sized solid state
.Built-in higher capacity disc for data files
.Headphone amp with selectable gain and low output impedance

That can be a phone or not a phone. Unfortunately it will never happen, since it's basically an audio/video-phile niche product. People want to stream from a watch to wireless cans, not have their own personal CD collection with them.

May 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #239 of 383
Maybe a big phone and an iPod classic and headphones that don't require amping would be the closest to what you want.

May 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #240 of 383
  Maybe a big phone and an iPod classic and headphones that don't require amping would be the closest to what you want.

Already have two of those, and adding the 3rd wouldn't be what I want. I want what I said I want 
biggrin.gif
 If I have to dream forever, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back