What is the best portable Amp available?
Feb 8, 2008 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking of getting the headroom portable desktop to replace my xin super macro 3. Any other ones I should consider. Your comments are apreciated.

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 44
"Best", as in?
* Sound quality?
* Build quality?
* Design?
* Price?
* Price/performance ratio?
* Features?
* Portability (size)?
* Battery time?
* ...?

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 44
Sound is the only concern although I do not want to carry a car battery with me to power it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 44
The Lisa from Triad Audio is wonderful. I enjoy mine. More Transportable than Portable. Go the XP/LLP route. O.K. battery life. That would flatten the already empty wallet. But it would keep the smile on the face.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 44
There is no universal consensus about what is "best" when it comes to anything in audio. What is best can only be answered in individual terms based on personal preferences.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Best" is a very subjective term when it comes to audio. But as of right now, the Pico with DAC seems to be the accepted "best" portable. Unfortunately, I can't comment personally on its performance as I haven't heard it yet.

That post is not appropriate.

Since you haven't heard the Pico yet and agree that you can't comment personally, please do not comment.

As your first sentence hints, there is NO accepted best. This is not a community of consensus based on the latest and loudest and most-oft posted opinions.

Many Pico owners enjoy their amps very much and feel it's their favorite, as well they should since it's true for them. Likewise, many owners of other amps feel that theirs is best -- which is certainly true for them.

As always, after researching and taking in other opinions, the OP is still best served by hearing whatever turn out to be the likely candidates up-close and personal -- at meets, via loaners, buy-and try -- as possible.

Pity we don't have access to all the toys all the time, but meets -- big and small -- are a good start.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 44
I'm enjoying my desktop portable right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Sound is the only concern

I've got no other amps to compare it to. It sounds fabulous to me. I just wanted to mention that I'm also finding it to be very versatile. I use 2 of the 3 digital inputs regularly (USB and optical) and I also use the line out to my computer speakers. I also find the Crossfeed useful on a couple tunes.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 44
Well, from the many review I've read, in term of Portable amp, there are several choices among the very top.
LISA III
PICO
PREDATOR
DIABLO
PRII
and some others if you want to add to this list.
I personally own a Predator and really enjoy it
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 44
Consensus seems to be the Lisa, Pico, iQubes, or possibly the Predator. The desktop is really large to be called "portable", but I suppose it technically is.

If sound is the only concern, I'd have to say the desktop or Lisa is the best bet, with the Lisa being the one I've heard the best feedback on. Don't think I've seen anything short of a glowing review anywhere.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 44
The Lisa III looks good, haven't heard it personally but the design is very nice and reminds me of a few nice discrete buffer amps I have heard.

I have no idea why everybody is so over this Pico thing. Yes, it's a cute little amp, the DAC is very good, no questions asked, but as an amp... meh, my PPAS handed its ass back to it on a platter when I was testing it at the Fairfax meet last week. Amps I liked more than it were the RSA SR71, Larocco Diablo and PRII and Xin SuperMacro 3 (AD744 and 4x BUF634). To me, it sounded like my Mini3, well, it should, it's an AD8397 based amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't want seriously bring down the amp, it's small and cute with a nice battery. The DAC is amazing and as a package it's very well worth it. As a separate amp, it's nothing special.

To say the truth, my favorite amp right now is the PPAS with LMH6321 buffers. Too bad more boards weren't made, great little amp. Second best amp would be a high-end Pimeta with discrete buffers or LMH6321.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkwlb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, from the many review I've read, in term of Portable amp, there are several choices among the very top.
LISA III
PICO
PREDATOR
DIABLO
PRII
and some others if you want to add to this list.
I personally own a Predator and really enjoy it
biggrin.gif

I'd add.....SR71.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 44
Fallen,

I have that version of the super macro and was hoping to exceed the sound of it (somewhat) for my Ultrasone Es9's headphones. Which are not exactly portable but, addictive non the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back