What is the best noise insulation IEM?
May 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jy p

Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers!

I know, the question seems to be just a repeated one again and again...

What I am really interested in is the find the IEM which offers the best noise insulation and then, the best sound as a secondary criteria.

I can not find any details on the Klipsch x5 and x10 noise insulation factors.  The Etys are really good for both noise insulation and sound quality, but is there any other IEM that have an even better noise insulation. 

I had even check in custom IEM but they just offer 26dB, not much. Not enough for this thread.  So I guess that also eliminate the SEs.

Any ideas?

May 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 22
No universal IEM will be able to beat the Etymotics with isolation.  Many can beat them for comfort though.  But usually people can get used to it after about a week or so.

Some customs, I think, can isolate better, but not all customs are equal in that aspect.  That said, I don't know enough about customs to know which ones isolate more.

May 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 22
I have a set of HK EP730 (based in Etys assembly) and ER6i and yes, they are awsome for noise insulation.  

I want to upgrade and the ER4 is in my suggestions list already, but I was just trying to see if anything could be better.

May 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 22
Ety HF5 / ER4 + Shure Olive tips/sleeves = best isolation + best comfort.

May 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 22
Have to pitch ACS Ety custom silicone tips here. I didn't think there was room for improvement in the isolation of Ety tri-flanges and the comfort of Olives on my HF3 but the custom tips take both a half-step further. At a price, of course.

May 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 22
I am surprise to read this.  According to ACS, their custom fit offers only -26dB isolation.  The triple flange certainly offers a better isolation than -26dB.  
blink.gif

May 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 22
On paper, maybe, and I don't know what tests are done to obtain these figures. Out in the real world, the isolation of my in-ears is something like this:

ACS HF3 >= UM Miracle > Tri-flange HF3/ER4 >= Olive HF3/ER4 >= 1964-T ~ Tri-flange CK10 

May 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 22
At the end of the day, many are pretty on par with each other as long as they are a sealed unit and using a tip with a good seal.  You can find that products with the smaller housing tend bring in a little less.  An open chamber and surface area is a thing that can vibration and bring in outside sounds, so the small things fair a little better.

May 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 22
with my limited experience with my IEMs, the best noise isolation for me is the Shure Olives(black foam). It's freaking amazing for airplane and riding mower(those suckers are LOUD)
I use the olives on my ER-6i, and it's perfect.
I've also used the stock Sennheiser CX-300 stock(like sony hybrids) are also pretty good for cheaper alternative.
I have really large ear canal, so i have to use the LARGE shure olives to get good seal, that might also explain why those double-flange, triple flange(medium size as standard?) never work very well for me.

May 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 22
And if we look on the custom IEM, Does anyone can tell me how they perform on the noise isolation side?  JH, UE, ...  They all specs their IEM at 26dB isolation.  That is, again, quite low.  Does anyone compare those with ER4 triple flanges?  

And, can anyone tell me how you can fit the Olive on the UE universal IEM (SUPER.FI and TRIPLE.FI)?  

May 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
And if we look on the custom IEM, Does anyone can tell me how they perform on the noise isolation side?  JH, UE, ...  They all specs their IEM at 26dB isolation.  That is, again, quite low.  Does anyone compare those with ER4 triple flanges?  

And, can anyone tell me how you can fit the Olive on the UE universal IEM (SUPER.FI and TRIPLE.FI)?  

For the first part.  I think it has to do with the fact that the Ety's have to hit brain-matter before you can use them.  This causes the full isolation.  Customs don't go in that deeply (correct me if I'm wrong).  If they did, they would be the best isolating IEMs ever :p

For the second part, it would end up being stretched on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back