What is the best DAC-AMP for MDR-SA5000 under $350
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tidal

100+ Head-Fier
What is the best DAC-AMP for MDR-SA5000 under $350?
I'm thinking of Maverick D1 or Matrix mini-i.
Do they suit the cans? If not, please guide me other models.

The issue is that SA5000 is so fatiguing, and I want to have them softened or smoothened

Thank you

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 6
try explicit eq - much cheaper, more effective than trying to do the same by buying a "synergistic" amp

above average sensitivity for full size cans and intermediate low Z makes SA5000 fairly easy to drive so you probably aren't clipping - but do check - then change listening levels to preserve your hearing or just maybe you do need more power

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Hmmm, thank you for your post. But I still think that the amp might be the best solution.
I think that the SA5000 are not working well with low volume, which I prefer more than high volume.
I don't know why. Maybe it's the stage and some bass zone that do not present themselves with the low volume.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 6
If anybody can compare the D1 to the Matrix, that would be cool.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 6
look up Fletcher Munson effect - at low SPL levels frequency perception changes - you need boost for highs and lows - the justification for the "loudness" knob on really old consumer stuff

frequency response and the interaction with listening SPL are 1st order effects on "sound quality" - for all you won't hear any discussion of on the forum

poor source, really bad built in amplification could be problems - loop-back testing with free RMAA audio analyzer software can find some problems - you may need an attenuator for testing an amp

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
What is the best DAC-AMP for MDR-SA5000 under $350?
I'm thinking of Maverick D1 or Matrix mini-i.
Do they suit the cans? If not, please guide me other models.

The issue is that SA5000 is so fatiguing, and I want to have them softened or smoothened

Thank you

Late to the party but the Matrix Mini-i gets my vote as it's a very musical DAC. I've found myself listening longer without any fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back