What is the advantage of wooden structure?
Apr 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Well, if you are referring to the wooden cups that many companies employ in the design, wood gives the sound a "smoother" signature. For instance, going from the d2k to the d5k which adds the wooden cups you will notice the "smoother" texture of the mids. It's just a nicer sound. Also, they are easy on the eyes. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
means wood actually better than synthetic material in the aspect of sound quality?

Wood is a very good material for sound quality, but it is not the only good option.  Plus their are many more factors in play, including the synergy or lack thereof of the other components of the headphone with the wood of  the cups.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 14
Wood has no advantage other than looking good. In fact, it may be detrimental to sound quality if the wood resonates with the music. You want musical instruments to resonate, not tools for music reproduction. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 14
I understand the difference in sound texture in closed cans. What about changing open cans cups like the grado prestige series?
Will one might not notice any changes?

Regards

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Wood is relatively strong, lightweight, self damping, and due to its fibrous nature it disperses resonances into a broader frequency spectrum making them less audible at any one particular frequency. Unfinished wood can have unique reflective properties depending on what you're trying to achieve. Any/all of these characteristics could be mimicked with a synthetic material, but wood isn't really that expensive to begin with. Like others have mentioned it looks really nice. It's also a relatively easy material to be shaped for DIY purposes. 

Sony used/uses Magnesium alloys for certain components specifically to kill resonances and/or keep weight down. I'm guessing you mean Grados, though, and their Aluminum driver housings? Not a clue.

Imo, wood isn't a selling point, or even a legitimate bonus. It just is. Many headphones both look and sound great without it. I wouldn't pay too much attention to its use.

Wood has no advantage other than looking good. In fact, it may be detrimental to sound quality if the wood resonates with the music. You want musical instruments to resonate, not tools for music reproduction. 

What would you use that doesn't resonate?

I understand the difference in sound texture in closed cans. What about changing open cans cups like the grado prestige series?
Will one might not notice any changes?

Regards

They're is a whole cult sort of thing with tube diameter, length, material, etc. to impart a certain sound signature. I won't get into that. Wood could potentially kill and disperse baffle resonances even if it's an open cup design. Not much else I can think of, and again, not really legitimate or that big of a deal, imo.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Wood is relatively strong, lightweight, self damping, and due to its fibrous nature it disperses resonances into a broader frequency spectrum making them less audible at any one particular frequency. Unfinished wood can have unique reflective properties depending on what you're trying to achieve. Any/all of these characteristics could be mimicked with a synthetic material, but wood isn't really that expensive to begin with. Like others have mentioned it looks really nice. It's also a relatively easy material to be shaped for DIY purposes. 

Sony used/uses Magnesium alloys for certain components specifically to kill resonances and/or keep weight down. I'm guessing you mean Grados, though, and their Aluminum driver housings? Not a clue.

Imo, wood isn't a selling point, or even a legitimate bonus. It just is. Many headphones both look and sound great without it. I wouldn't pay too much attention to its use.

What would you use that doesn't resonate?

They're is a whole cult sort of thing with tube diameter, length, material, etc. to impart a certain sound signature. I won't get into that. Wood could potentially kill and disperse baffle resonances even if it's an open cup design. Not much else I can think of, and again, not really legitimate or that big of a deal, imo.

I own a Grado sr80i for about two years, i saw many users change the plastic cup into wood, wonder whether the wood is better than the stock plastic.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Better? I'd be hesitant to definitively use that word. It will be different. How? You'd have to talk to a Grado fan which I am not. Personally, I'd put that money into another set of headphones. Since you've owned the Grados for two years, however, I'm guessing you're happy with where you're at. I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back