What is the added value of the FiiO E18 if you already have a FiiO X3?
Dec 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Posmentis

New Head-Fier
Dear (head)audio enthusiasts!

As the title might suggest, I wondered whether owning the FiiO X3, makes buying the FiiO E18 (Kunlun) obsolete? Since the X3 holds the components of the well-appreciated E17 amp and offers the possibility to act as a DAC (and OTG).

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, you already reach the conclusion yourself so there isn't much to add. If you have the X3, you must be using it as a source. Having an E18 will mean you want to use your smartphone as source. Unless you really want to carry two sources, there is really no need to own both.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 6
  Well, you already reach the conclusion yourself so there isn't much to add. If you have the X3, you must be using it as a source. Having an E18 will mean you want to use your smartphone as source. Unless you really want to carry two sources, there is really no need to own both.

Thanks for your response, and that is indeed my point. The only thing is: Alongside my DAP, I want to use my smartphone and laptop as well (for streaming from my NAS, spotify, etc.). Small side note: at the moment I have neither (X3 nor E18), but I want to buy one, depending on whether the X3 at least offers the functionality that the E18 offers (in terms of DAC/AMP besides the DAP functionality)...

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 6
I am curious about this too. Currently I am using an android phone that can play FLAC files. I have played around with the E7 and I am really enjoying it. The version I got was free and has a dead battery. Because it isn't portable I was considering buying the E18 but if the X3 (or X5 when released) provides sufficient amplification, does it make more sense to just buy the X3? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back