What is on your remastering wish list ?
Apr 30, 2010 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
What albums would you love to see remastered? Or to simplify which albums do you wish were better recorded

PT In Absentia top of my list
The Wall "again"
RHCP blood sex magic
New Order Substance
Jay-z the blue print

What about you guys?

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 15
None. Most remasters sound worse.

If we're assuming good remasters, then everything by the White Stripes, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP, and Oasis.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 15
Remastered stuff I would buy in a heart beat:

Entire Capitol & Reprise Era Frank Sinatra including dedicated mono mixes done by Steve Hoffman.
Entire Capitol Era Nat King Cole including dedicated mono mixes done by Steve Hoffman.
Entire Capitol & Reprise Era Dean Martin including dedicated mono mixes done by Steve Hoffman.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication done by Steve Hoffman
TOOL - all albums redone by Steve Hoffman
Complete Led Zeppelin Catalog remixed and remastered by Steve Hoffman.
The Beatles - all albums remixed and remastered by Steve Hoffman.
Rolling Stones - all albums remastered by Steve Hoffman.

May 1, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 15
i think a shorter list would be albums i don't want to see remastered properly (because a good release already exists)

May 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 15
I'd love to see Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" given the same SACD treatment as DSoTM.

That, and the entire Wilco catalog released on digital hi-rez. Yes, black discs are available (and I have them) but a SACD or DVD-A treatment would be wonderful.

May 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by teren41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All early blues music.

The problem there isn't with the mastering, it's with the original recording medium and equipment, which anything you would do wouldn't be remastering, but digital editing.

May 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Oasis's entire catalog, please. By Steve Hoffman if possible.

I actually have a few hundred dollars set aside for the minute this happens so that I can buy it in every format released.

May 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Bt - "These Hopeful Machines"
Really bad mastering.

Tool - 10,000 days
Everything sounds compressed and distorted unlike anemia.

May 2, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oasis's entire catalog, please. By Steve Hoffman if possible..

If only.

I'll stay in kinda of the same ballpark and say Black Holes and Revelations by Muse. Loved the album. Too bad it sounded so horrid.

May 6, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Remastered stuff I would buy in a heart beat:

Entire Capitol & Reprise Era Frank Sinatra including dedicated mono mixes done by Steve Hoffman.
Entire Capitol Era Nat King Cole including dedicated mono mixes done by Steve Hoffman.
Entire Capitol & Reprise Era Dean Martin including dedicated mono mixes done by Steve Hoffman.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication done by Steve Hoffman
TOOL - all albums redone by Steve Hoffman
Complete Led Zeppelin Catalog remixed and remastered by Steve Hoffman.
The Beatles - all albums remixed and remastered by Steve Hoffman.
Rolling Stones - all albums remastered by Steve Hoffman.

Dude, no offence, but are you serious? You'd like to have all Tool albums remastered? Did you listen to Lateralus? Man, even their first official record (Opiate) sounds good. Lateralus is soundwise actually one of the greatest(!) rock/metal records I have ever heard, and hey, I have heard many records. I actually dislike quite a number of records David Bottrill (producer of this record) mixed/produced, but his job on Lateralus is truly, TRULY precious. Most people are like "dynamics, dynamics, dynamics!", but this is not the whole story. Lateralus is not just a record with a lot of headroom, but it is also... Hell, I can't even describe it. To me, it's as if I can just put my hand into that record and grab whatever instrument I like. Nothing is muffled, distant in an annoying way that probably wasn't intended by the artist(s), there is no ridiculous amount of compression - it is just the talent of this band, tinned. This is how refined it is, this is how music ought to be recorded/produced/mixed/mastered. It sounds great without HDCD decoding, and with it sounds even better. Technically, there is no remastering needed. And hey, I'm not planning to sound cocky here, but I think that I'm not alone with this opinion.

May 7, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

Dude, no offence, but are you serious? You'd like to have all Tool albums remastered? Did you listen to Lateralus? Man, even their first official record (Opiate) sounds good. Lateralus is soundwise actually one of the greatest(!) rock/metal records I have ever heard, and hey, I have heard many records. I actually dislike quite a number of records David Bottrill (producer of this record) mixed/produced, but his job on Lateralus is truly, TRULY precious. Most people are like "dynamics, dynamics, dynamics!", but this is not the whole story. Lateralus is not just a record with a lot of headroom, but it is also... Hell, I can't even describe it. To me, it's as if I can just put my hand into that record and grab whatever instrument I like. Nothing is muffled, distant in an annoying way that probably wasn't intended by the artist(s), there is no ridiculous amount of compression - it is just the talent of this band, tinned. This is how refined it is, this is how music ought to be recorded/produced/mixed/mastered. It sounds great without HDCD decoding, and with it sounds even better. Technically, there is no remastering needed. And hey, I'm not planning to sound cocky here, but I think that I'm not alone with this opinion.

None taken and yes...I am serious.
biggrin.gif

Lateralus doesn't sound bad on CD. The vinyl sounds so much better though and I always wonder what an engineer like Hoffman could add to it. It's not bad but I am willing to bet it could sound great.

May 8, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 15
I have never heard the vinyl version, but I have heard and read several times that the vinyl version of Lateralus actually sounds disappointing. It is one of these picture discs, right? Well, I've got to admit that I never heard that version myself; it is hard to get in my area. Then again, I am just not really interested to spend a lot of money for it because I'm happy with the redbook version...
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back