What is likable about the W5000?
Aug 1, 2007 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a pair and have not a clue why these are considered decent headphones........the bass is almost non existant, the high mids are deafening and the soundstage seems wide but almost unrealistic........I've used 10 dollar headphones that were more satisfying........is it possible that I'm wearing them incorrectly, I'm not stupid, but I just can't imagine that people can like this sound. It wasn't pleasant in any way. I love the HD650s, the D5000s, the K701s....I even heard these were the closed sister of the K701.........not at all.......they sound like the K701 with hyped upper mids and a bass driver blown.

They also were incredibly uncomfortable and odd looking on the head......I would not wear these in public. Heck if anyone wants to buy my pair, they've only been worn for 10 minutes and I'll take 50 bucks off what I paid for it.....but I highly suggest you don't buy them.

Dave

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 31
Whats your source, whats your amp...also, they probably just don't fit your head right, thats something alot of people had trouble with. When I had these, the fit was ultra-comfortable, the upper mids had some boost to them but nothing troublesome, the bass was audible, extended and textured, although not aggressive. They sounded incredible with some of the gear I tried, beating some of the giants in some areas. Big-time matter of fit. I'd want your pair actually, but I have some other headphones I am trying to experiment with.

Does my avatar look odd?

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 31
It's because AT designed a headphone that doesn't fit a lot of people. No seal = no bass. I had the exact same issue with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does my avatar look odd?

Very.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very.

Quiet. To you any head without Stax looks odd! xD

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quiet. To you any head without Stax looks odd! xD

Yes, Sigmas are the world's most normal looking headphone.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Sigmas are the world's most normal looking headphone.

Well if people don't mind relying on air conditioners for comfort, why not rely on something that looks like one for musical satisfaction>?

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 31
They are sensitive to fit. I had the same problem as the poster above.... could not get the earpads to seal completely around my ears. The result was exactly as you describe. I'm bummed. I wanted these cans to compliment my RS1, but after a ~25 minute demo session it was clear that these cans aren't for me.

The fit and finish are impecable... (looks at his RS1) THIS is what a $750 headphone SHOULD look/feel like. They are a solid piece of gear all around.

Even with the poor fit, they had the makings of a top tier headphone (even by headfi standards). They are fast and very detail revealing.

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 31
I love mine! Having a large head probably helps though, the fit is important. If I pull them out just a tiny bit from the head the bass disappears quickly and it gets a bit hollow. Perhaps that's how they sound if they don't clamp properly?

To my ears they are wonderful with acoustic and soft jazz music in particular, and anything with vocals really. Very open and crystal clear sound, sharp and fast with a slight warmth in the vocal range. Seductive!

Whenever I put them on I find myself playing tune after tune, looking for new tracks to enjoy them with. They fit me so nicely too, that helps a lot. The W5000 is probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Round cups don't fit as well as oval ones ?

It's a width thing. They aren't tollerant of those with narrow heads.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 31
I didn't have a lot of problems with the fit in stock form, have an average size head, but some headband bending increased clamp and bass response. They are extremely sensitive to amplification though. With GS-1 they just trounce all my other headphones. Of course if you switching from bass heave phones you need some head time with them for adaptation.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 31
I recently spent a day with the w5000s.... with my rig and all... I still can't figure out what makes them so famous around here.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently spent a day with the w5000s.... with my rig and all... I still can't figure out what makes them so famous around here.

fit issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back