What is likable about the W5000?
Aug 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the purchase of the DT880 - 600Ω, my W5000's are now serving as paper weights.

For me that's the other way around. Both DT880 and HD650 are just collecting dust on the shelf, pretty sure D2000 that arrives today will join them after initial break in.
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 31
I have HD650s balanced and W5000s single ended driven both from Apogee Mini Dac and I must also add that I have a big head
smily_headphones1.gif
(they sound bad if I remove the ear pads abit from my head). I pick W5000s more frequently than my HD650s. They are very good to my ears. DT880s are around the same level as HD650s single ended, they do some things better than HD650s but my choice would be HD650s anyway. If you balance HD650s and leave DT880s single ended, DT880s are blown away by Sennheisers. As of now, to my ears: W5000s > HD650s balanced > HD650s single ended >= DT880s (every can is driven with the same source and amp, but I do not have a balanced amp to fully utilize Sennheisers)...

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, I have a very large head and still could not get any seal good enough to supply adequate bass. I felt it was the angle of the earcups that prevented the seal. Am I doing something wrong?

Move them forward so the back of your ears is almost touching the pads, your ear should be in perfect opposition with the driver while the pads should be touching at every point.

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 31
As I read this thread, it really reinforces my belief that a trial listen, whenever possible, is important when choosing headphones.

Fit, sound preferences and system synergy all impact the final choice.

The last time I tried the W5000 on my system, it did not quite light my fire.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 31
I got my new W5000's today and am using them right now. I have a big noggin and they fit very well. They sound excellent straight out of the case. Can't wait until I have a few hours on them.

I bought these as a closed can to compliment my GS1000's and I do believe they will.
icon10.gif

cheers
Simon

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Move them forward so the back of your ears is almost touching the pads, your ear should be in perfect opposition with the driver while the pads should be touching at every point.

What happens with cans like these if you wear glasses? Does the arm break the seal in a way that substantially affects the sound?

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 31
I just got some AD900s and the pads rotate and are asymmetrical so you can adjust the fit. Are the 5000s the same?

Mooch

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happens with cans like these if you wear glasses? Does the arm break the seal in a way that substantially affects the sound?

Not in my case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some AD900s and the pads rotate and are asymmetrical so you can adjust the fit. Are the 5000s the same?

Mooch

Yes.

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't had any issues with glasses either.

cheers
Simon

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #27 of 31
I wear them with glasses too, no problems, the frame just sinks into the leather pads.

As for the OP, I suggest you try the fit adjustment and see if that helps.
I don't find them uncomfortable at all, although they do get a little hot with this weather.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 31
My experience with the W5000 was the same as the OP. FAR from my cup of sonic tea. Painfully bright sounding. I had a really hard time imagining how anyone could like them.

Moral: one man gathers what another man spills.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 31
I agree with the premise of the thread and that the solution (or at least partial solution) is bending the headband. You want the earcups tight against your head. I have mine bent to look similar to an AKG K1000, with the top relatively flat and bends at about the 1/3 and 2/3 points of the metal headband. This really clamped the earcups around my ears and balanced the bass with the upper mids/treble. The bass, while listening to Holly Cole Shade and Doug McCloud You Can't Take My Blues had much better impact, while maintaining its tunefulness and texture. No, tightening the earcups does not turn these headphones into Darth Beyers, but it does help a great deal.

Also, after breaking them in, spend some time getting used to their sound. I went from the JVC DX1000 to the W5000 the other day and it took a good day for my brain to become accustomed to them. Once there, I really liked the sound.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mooch

Yes, and it helps to a point, but no amount of rotation will help if they simply don't fit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back