What is going on over at Ultimate Ears???
Sep 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #166 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our Hong Kong office oversees the market for Australia. Not that it's any less expensive, but it's preferred for customers to contact the actual reseller, then the reseller contacts us or our distributor. Technically, this is how it's supposed to go.

So lets say I purchase some SE530s in HK from an authorized dealer and everything. If they do fail whilst I am back here in Australia, what can be done?

I have to make sure there is some way for repair work to be carried out when I'm here in Australia. Can't exactly just send them back to HK, and I'm uber-paranoid about them getting lost in mail (A cable I purchased from somebody in Australia was lost in transit, so imagine something expensive like these Shures!). Shipping isn't exactly cheap either unless Shure covers it.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #167 of 215
Quote:

Much appreciated. I'd like to think that it's a two way street and that they would do the same for us.

In a past life I considered moving out west, and if that had happened UE would have been on my list of companies to talk with.

While I consider some of their marketing claims to be unfounded (specifically the fact that they claim "75% of today's top touring rock musicians" use their products), they are stand-up people in my opinion. I sincerely hope that doesn't change with the Logitech buyout.

Not a problem. I enjoy dishing out worthy compliments and appraisal
tongue.gif

I too would hope other companies such as UE's would share the same sensibility towards Shure and/or their competitors. Of course, a healthy repoir can only exist like this if both companies are 'clean', if you know what I mean, and working the market 'legitimately' or fairly. So long as thats there, I see no reason for competitors to not share a healthy respect and positive relationship with one another! I think to view it in any way to the contrary, given the prerequesite aforementioned is met, would only really be detrimental to the concerned company suscribing to such a stance.

I own both the SE530's and the triplfi's and thus I appreciate and like both companie's IEM's and the style they bring to the table (sonic and otherwise). On this somewhat selfish basis, I too hope UE's retain their current stand-up properties!

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #168 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So lets say I purchase some SE530s in HK from an authorized dealer and everything. If they do fail whilst I am back here in Australia, what can be done?

I have to make sure there is some way for repair work to be carried out when I'm here in Australia. Can't exactly just send them back to HK, and I'm uber-paranoid about them getting lost in mail (A cable I purchased from somebody in Australia was lost in transit, so imagine something expensive like these Shures!). Shipping isn't exactly cheap either unless Shure covers it.

Good question.

Best option is to email techsupport@shure.com.hk

It may end up that they have you ship your product to our Australian distributor (Jands) and have them either replace it for you or send it to the HK office and exchange it there. Whichever is most cost and time efficient.

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #169 of 215
Quote:

The (well documented) E500 cable problem is fixed. Anything packaged in an SE530/SE530PTH box has the updated cable and will not fail for that reason.

E2 cables had different problems, it was a process foul on the part of the cable manufacturing. Specifically, the position the raw cable sat in prior to the 1/8" jack overmold was "crimping" the shield, making it only a matter of time before it frayed internally and became intermittent. This too was fixed.
Massive amounts of quality testing are conducted for each and every product we design and manufacture, not just earphones. I hope you never go through what I (we) went through during that time. I won't go over that stuff here (check my posts in the E500 cable failure thread), but I'll just say that our raw parts suppliers were 'ripped a new one' in that case.

Bummer, after I got my SE530 back from sending in my busted E500, I put the SE530 drivers into a Livewires custom shell to avoid the cable problem in the future, because I didn't know it was resolved. That's 5 months of time where I coulda' had my SE530 to listen to while the transformation was being done (it was a one-time thing, had to tune the sound tubes to the drivers, complicated)...

If it's any consolation, I started at E2c, then E4c, then SE310, then E500, then SE530, and I thought the SE530 were better than the Triple.fi 10 Pro. I still "kinda" have the SE530 - while I have sold 2 pairs of Super.fi 5 Pro and a pair of Triple.fi 10 Pro and no longer have any UE earphones. They need to fix their fit and size problems too.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #170 of 215
Quote:

Your loss, I make great coffee.

wink.gif

Matt, I absolutely believe you! If there's one guy who just possibly could persuade me re the SE530 it just has to be you...if we didn't live on different continents, I'd sure as heck not be surprised to see you toting a double espresso down my yard path one morning, lol. And, despite my jesting post, it would be a pleasure to invite you in
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #171 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no way...call me a fanboy if you will....but I'd take UE & Triple Fi any day, even w/ an irregular CS, over Shure. Shure may have great CS, but their phones? Just not for me. At Triple Fi level, it's the SE530, which I wouldn't want even if they included a spare pair (just in case) and had a Shure rep come over for coffee. And they bring the coffee.

Stevie, you have to try those Shures with the X10's gels, they are really fantastic. Klipsch really needs to safeguard the patent on their gels.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #172 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevie, you have to try those Shures with the X10's gels, they are really fantastic. Klipsch really needs to safeguard the patent on their gels.

WHOA! X10 Gels fit on SE530's? I suppose the barb keeps them on nice and secure? Is the SQ equivalent to Shure Olives? What size would match up to mediums on the olives?

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #173 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHOA! X10 Gels fit on SE530's? I suppose the barb keeps them on nice and secure?

I keep mine right in front of the ridge you are referring to. Otherwise the gel wouldn't go in deep enough. But I haven't had any issues with them coming off. They fit really tight and don't actually need the ridge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the SQ equivalent to Shure Olives? What size would match up to mediums on the olives?

I use them for comfort, mainly, the sound quality is outstanding, though. I'd say the largest gels would be slightly smaller than the medium olives...maybe, or right about the same size.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #174 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm...I have a friend with SE530, so maybe a trip to Klipsch land would be in order.

Brief scrip' on how they sound with the gels?
Oooooooooh, temptation! Get thee behind me, Lewis
biggrin.gif

I know...I could be lining myself up for a sucker punch here
wink.gif

Mmmmm, my words on toast? LOL, tasty...

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #175 of 215
Quote:

Hmmm...I have a friend with SE530, so maybe a trip to Klipsch land would be in order.

Brief scrip' on how they sound with the gels?
Oooooooooh, temptation! Get thee behind me, Lewis
biggrin.gif

I really can't say there's much of a difference in quality, because I haven't used any other sleeve/foam with them since using the gels and I pretty much started pretty early with those. I have assessed these with the gels and nothing else.

Quote:

I know...I could be lining myself up for a sucker punch here
wink.gif

Mmmmm, my words on toast? LOL, tasty...

Hehe..no punches here, only comfort and already outstanding sound quality. They really do fit near perfectly. Very easy to put in and get a perfect seal and immediate comfort.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #179 of 215
Quote:

I wonder if they'd fit on my SF5pros, as I'm looking for a more comfortable fit.

The super.fi nozzle is much wider than Klipsch or SE530 sound nozzle, so unless the gels are very stretchy, then no.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #180 of 215
Quote:

I wonder if they'd fit on my SF5pros, as I'm looking for a more comfortable fit.

It's very doubtful they will work with large nozzle sizes like the UEs. However, I will try it and see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back