what is exactly PEM D/D? (CD player as a DAC?)
Jul 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
hi, i'm new here so i'm not specific on where to ask this so i deeply apologize for my ignorance. i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to source equipment or audio for that matter. that's why i joined so i can learn :)

i searched the forums first to make sure but found nothing. google i found close to zero results that i was looking for. Now that.. i have a JVC XL-F108 cd player that my aunt gave my dad sometime ago and he never used it. it's in mint condition and works flawlessly. just curious what exactly PEM d/d is. Read it's a type of D/A or DAC form that JVC uses and it's better then SACD(i think it's called)

i'm guessing cause it was manufactured in the early 90's and out of production. that's why i can find zero info on it.

i'm curious if i can use it in any form other then just a cd player? just curious about that one specific thing about the cd player and if possible i can use it as a dedicated dac source and how good it is as a source.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 7

Bump! anything? yes? no? maybe so?

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 7
I remember it from some of JVC's older gear, here is a link from a receiver that I used to have and enjoyed very much:

http://www.quicklink.biz/public_html/jvc_rx.htm

Basically it is their name for their own DAC chips, which as I recall were pretty nice but perhaps not as earth shaking as they claim. Basically it means that your CD player is likely pretty decent and better than the average from that era.

I doubt you can do much else with it besides spinning discs. Check on the back to see if there is a digital input, either optical or coaxial. I don't recall seeing any JVC models like that but I could be wrong.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 7
thanx alot! i really appreciate the feedback. it dosen't have any digital inputs. it has rca output tho and i decided to hook it up using a rca to 3.5mm adapter in back of my turtle beach riviera soundcard's headphone jack. i think it bypassed the soundcard processing cause i use to have the EQ tweaked on it before hooking up the cd player using my sennheiser hd 205-II headphones.

EQ and volume control on my soundcard no longer functions when trying to use it in the software so i assume the cd players own built-in dac or d/a bypassed it right? 

i plan on buying a vantage stereo receiver for it also on ebay cause i read old vantage receivers supposedly pack a lot of punch in the voltage and current department and be useful for higher impedance headphones

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
thanx alot! i really appreciate the feedback. it dosen't have any digital inputs. it has rca output tho and i decided to hook it up using a rca to 3.5mm adapter in back of my turtle beach riviera soundcard's headphone jack. i think it bypassed the soundcard processing cause i use to have the EQ tweaked on it before hooking up the cd player using my sennheiser hd 205-II headphones.

EQ and volume control on my soundcard no longer functions when trying to use it in the software so i assume the cd players own built-in dac or d/a bypassed it right? 

i plan on buying a vantage stereo receiver for it also on ebay cause i read old vantage receivers supposedly pack a lot of punch in the voltage and current department and be useful for higher impedance headphones

Look at at vintage integrated amp since those tend to have really good headphone outputs on them (tied to the power amp outputs). The modern receivers usually have a puny opamp based headamp added as an afterthought.......in any event take your cans with you and test out various receivers at your local store to see which one does the job best. At the very least you will find out/have an idea what they sound like.

Peete.

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand your connection with your soundcard. Are you using that RCA to 3.5mm cable to go out from the CD player to the line-in jack on the soundcard? And then connecting the headphones to the line-out jack on the soundcard? That's really the only way it should work, but you said you connected it to your "headphone jack" which would indicate an output, not an input.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 7
yea i have in the headphone jack output. sorry for confusing. i notice tho a slight hiss when music is not playing. i read it's due to my headphones being low impedance? dose that mean higher impedance headphones should work fine running through this player on it's dac source?

EDIT: nevermind about the hissing issue. i fixed it. it was my soundcards mixer line-in audio volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back