What is a "topkit", what does it do, where can I buy it and how can I install it?
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chezzy79

100+ Head-Fier
Complete beginner here in terms of headphone and amps.  I just purchased an iBasso D6 amp (have not purchased a headphone yet), and I've been constantly hearing this thing called "operational amp" or "topkit".  I honestly have no clue what it does, I was guessing maybe it adjusts the power output or impedance or something but I couldn't find any detailed info.  

Anyways, if somebody could kindly explain that to me that will be awesome.  Also, if you could recommend me a full-size headphone with good portability under $500 that goes great with D6 amp that will be great (I got my eyes on Beyerdynamic T70p and Ultrasone Pro 900)

Thank you!

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 6
op amps are circuit components that change the characteristics of an amplifier - essentially swapping out engines (or turbochargers) in a car and getting different performance as a result. 

Some amps are easier to "op amp roll" and mix and match systems to customize the sound... or upgrade from a relatively inexpensive amp down the line. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Complete beginner here in terms of headphone and amps.  I just purchased an iBasso D6 amp (have not purchased a headphone yet), and I've been constantly hearing this thing called "operational amp" or "topkit".  I honestly have no clue what it does, I was guessing maybe it adjusts the power output or impedance or something but I couldn't find any detailed info.  

Anyways, if somebody could kindly explain that to me that will be awesome.

Thank you!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

2. PM Head-Fier 'hiflight' : his feedback goes back several years and is uniformly positive.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/128794/hiflight

Depending on who you listen to here, an opamp change can either be an 'OMG!' difference or very, very subtle. Be aware that any time you remove the PCB from the case of a portable amp, you run the risk of damaging it and iBasso are unlikely to honor any warranty claim - I may be one of the few here who has managed to totally destroy a $245 amp, but I still think its worth mentioning. 
frown.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

Anyways, if somebody could kindly explain that to me that will be awesome.  Also, if you could recommend me a full-size headphone with good portability under $500 that goes great with D6 amp that will be great (I got my eyes on Beyerdynamic T70p and Ultrasone Pro 900)

Thank you!

For portable use, the DT1350 has been very highly regarded since it was introduced.  It should pair very well with your D6. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 6
I use the 1350 with a PB-2 which has a newly installed Topkit and love it. Whoever makes these Topkit things knows their stuff. :wink:

Seriously, HiFlight is the guy to talk to if you are interested in tweaking your amp's sound using different op-amps. He is very knowledgeable about the different op-amps and the nuances of their sound signature. If you describe what you are looking for he can almost certainly provide a topkit to get you there.

He also set me up with some options for my STX sound card which worked out wonderfully. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing. He can tailor a topkit to what you think you want.

As far as the 1350's - they aren't technically full size, but rather 'on ear'. They are incredibly detailed, provide excellent separation, and are good from top to bottom in my opinion. I love them, especially with the PB-2 and especially especially with the new topkit installed. But it depends what you are after as far as sound signature goes. Personally I find the 1350's transparent and crystal clear without being harsh or fatiguing - which is what I want from them. My biggest gripe is the cord which has some microphonic tendencies. There are a couple of threads about them if you are interested.

Some find that full sized and portable don't really go well together, others think the LCD2s are a great portable option. I'm firmly in the former camp.

Have you seen this review?

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 6
hmm I was thinking in more of a line of Ultrasone Pro 900, Beyerdynamic T70p, or Sennheiser HD650 (rewired with 4ft cable).  The suggestions and recommendations are definitely making me drool, (especially Pudu mentioned LCD-2, too bad I don't have that much money to spend).  Anyways I just purchased the iBasso D6 (receiving it this afternoon) so it should definitely interesting to pair it with my future headphone.  I heard it is strong enough for most full size cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back