What is a Monitor Headphone?
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 9
Monitor headphones are those mainly suited for registering and mixing, and as such they must color the sound as little as possible. They obviously can also be used for normal music listening, but the average consumer usually prefers a more colored and "musical" sound (bassy, v-shaped ecc) to a neutral and uncolored sound.
Hope this answers to your question.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 9
I've always thought that a monitor headphone is more for analyzing audio, then audio enjoyment.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Although studio monitor headphones are intended for studio use, it's a myth that they are accurate. The reality is, studio monitor headphones can have all sorts of sound signatures, from bassy to harsh and bright to neutral-ish. (I would know; I've owned more than a few.) Even the most accurate ones aren't nearly as accurate as the best audiophile headphones like STAX. Studios use headphones for many purposes, so the variety makes sense. Some of them are even used to intentionally have bad sound quality for testing purposes. If you're looking at buying studio monitor headphones, just know that you'll have to take into account the same things you do when you buy other types of headphones. (Especially the sound signature.)

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Monitoring headphones, are primarily for monitoring vocals and instruments. They are designed typically for isolation, studio environments (ruggedness) and theatre. Now, you can check your mixes on them, and they can bring a different perspective. They are typically not designed for reference mixing, as it is more practical to acoustically treat a room and have it measured and have your speakers equalized.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Just a simple question because I have been looking at more high end headphones recently and I just want to know what it means by monitor headphone beause I only use headphones for music.

A headphone with relatively smooth response curve, even if in most cases they roll off earlier at the bass region. Usually closed back too if they're going to be used in the same room as the recording mic.

Just note that, totally flat response not having been achieved yet, "relatively flat" can mean different things. An engineer will likely pick the HD600 despite the 3500hz peak vs the HD650 which has no narrow peaks but has a relatively tall and wide plateau from 1000hz down to 30hz vs above 1000hz for example.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Monitor headphones are those mainly suited for registering and mixing, and as such they must color the sound as little as possible. They obviously can also be used for normal music listening, but the average consumer usually prefers a more colored and "musical" sound (bassy, v-shaped ecc) to a neutral and uncolored sound.
Hope this answers to your question.

This is the best answer you will get. It is not that the average consumers prefer brassy, or V-shaped, it is actually scientifically proven that human nature, we all love bass, and bass is the heart of many music, and genres, one way or another. Mainly we are affected by our mother heart rhythms inside the womb when we were just fetuses.

However, the correct setup of references/monitor headphones can pump out plenty of bass while adding little to no extra colorations while having everything else just at the highest fidelity as possible. It is pretty hard to beat a proper Stax 009 setup, and then we have HE-1 Orpheous as well :D

Just saying, nothing is impossible, just as long as you throw enough money into it, wiping out humanity with nukes is also possible, but what is the fun of it ? Lol

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Just have to say I don't think I would classify the 009's to be monitor headphones reference yes . I believe there is a difference there. Yes hard to beat a good 009 setup for sure. The HE-1's is easy to say is the best headphone on the planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back