What IEM?
Apr 2, 2022 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DavidHiFi

New Head-Fier
Source will be lossless on iPhone connected to Audioquest Dragonfly Red. I previously have used Etymotic ER4P (20 years ago), and from about 10 years ago the Shure 535. I liked the attenuation and neutrality of the ER4P, I thought overall sound was a bit better on the Shure 535. I just broke the 535s, and the etymotic was left on an airplane.

There are so many brands now, it is hard to figure out which one to go with. Most important use is for travel, so external noise attenuation is important. Secondarily, it would be nice to use them while riding a stationary bike, so sweat resistance is a factor. And of course comfort.

Most of my music listening is jazz and indy rock. I have a nice home system that I use for listening at home - very rarely use headphones in this situation.

What are folks thoughts on what to get? Is custom ear mold worth it for comfort? for sound quality?

Budget is $2Kish or less. I note the new ETY4XR os only $230 on amazon, which is sure tempting.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 3
U12t by 64 audio. Fan favorite and budget right at 2k.

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi @DavidHiFi,

Based on your requirements, I would suggest the following IEMs in no particular order.

CustomArt Fibae Black (Universal)
Audio Technica E70 (Used this solidly everyday for 3 years, now has honorary retirement but still comes out every now & then)
Tipsy Dunmer Pro
Tipsy Lava
Tipsy Ttromso
Sony IER M7
1Custom Senior
1Custom Junior
Dunu SA6
Dunu SA3

At the time of this posting, I do not yet own SA6 & SA3 but I have heard both extensively, I am just in no rush to buy these.

Regarding custom fit, this is both subjective & personal which may be pricey in your area & also depends on how good the audiologist doing your ear molds is as well.
Another factor to consider is most ear molds last an average of 3 years before requiring refit.

I would also suggest looking into Senda eartips & experiment with different sizes to see which fits you better.

Feel free to ask on any of the above IEMs if you need more info.

Hope you have a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back