What IEM sounds closest to the signature of the HD580/600?
Feb 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tim3320070

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't expect the soundstage offered by the 600 but what has the natural sound and detail of these in an IEM? I have the RE0 but am not impressed too much. Music I listen to includes acoustic/folk and female singers mostly.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 17
I own and love my HD600 and have to say the Senn IE8 is the closest thing to the HD600 I have heard. They have a huge sound stage (not quite as big and airy as the HD600 but close), and similar signature. The bass is more prominant and impactfull though and the mids are more forward and warmer so may be closer the HD650. But my IE8 are also new with 35hr or so of burnin an about 30hrs of head time so their signature is from what I have read still on the dark side compared to what they will be at 100 or more hours. But by far they are the nicest IEM I have owned which includes ATH CKS70, Monster Turbine, Ultimate Ears Triple-fi 10, Klipsch S4, and others.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 17
Maybe E-Q7, CK100 and UM3x...........

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 17
The answers here are something I'm really looking forward to. Props to the TS for posting this. Of all the cans I've tried over the years, nothing hits the spot like the HD600 (for me and many others too I presume). Getting the HD600 (or HD580/650) sound in an IEM package would be awesome indeed.

So far I've yet to come across a pair of IEMs that sound like them - though my IEM experience is very limited. I'd imagine that the IE7/IE8 would carry the Senn house sound over but have no personal experience.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanke1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 will sound as HD600 but IE8 will be slightly more bassy

Is this your conclusion from experience, or from what you've read?

I'm incredibly interested in the answers to this same question, so I'd like separate experience from speculation here.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 17
I have never heard/own the HD 600 but I have the HD 595 and the IE8 sounds very close to the HD 595 but is way more detailed and have a punchier and deeper bass.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe E-Q7, CK100 and UM3x...........

Count the UM3x out, it does not sound anything like the HD 580. It has more bass presence and its midrange richness presentation is entirely different. The soundstage is narrow on the UM3x which is acceptable for a monitor

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 17
The HD600 is my all time favorite headphone by Senns. Just put a bullet through my wallet and bought myself an IE8. Cross my fingers and hope it'll sound like the HD600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600 is my all time favorite headphone by Senns. Just put a bullet through my wallet and bought myself an IE8. Cross my fingers and hope it'll sound like the HD600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Please post your impressions. When do you expect to receive it?

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 17
I haven't heard a HD600. But from what I have read the RE1 (with a bright amp) will come pretty close IMHO. The soundstage in the RE1 is almost as good as the soundstage on the HD650.

The RE1 has a more neutral sound compared to the HD650 and the bass is more tight and controlled as opposed to the heavy and slightly uncontrolled bass of the HD650.

But it is the amp that makes a big difference to the sound.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Bump.

Any more thoughts on this subject?

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 17
I haven't heard the HD600, but here's an interesting post from the e-Q7 thread, comparing them to the HD600.

Concerning the RE1, when properly amped they have some similarity to the e-Q7 (and with filter mod the amp needn't be bright). But between these two the e-Q7 is clearly the much better refined sounding phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checking in on this thread. I've been listening to a new set set of e-Q7's for 3 days now, thanks to curiosity generated by this thread. I've sorted the inevitable fit issues down to sony hybrids for now. Not an absolutely perfect fit but an adequate seal for now.

So far I'm impressed with the e-Q7 . I am generally a full size can listener and only use IEM's peripherally. I've been settled on TripleFi10's for the last couple years for IEMs after owning Se530's and Ety Er4P's. The Trips have a sound signature that I find appealing for "on the go" IEM use although they are definitely much more colored than any fullsize can I would keep. Trips remind me a lot of the Ultrasone phones I've heard. I have a distaste for Ultrasones when sitting down for critical listening but for portable use, the Trip's similar sound is very appealing.

My impression of the e-Q7 so far is it is very different in presentation from IEM's I'm familiar with. It's very very "polite", which is something that isn't designed into the IEM's I'm familiar with. It doesn't have exaggerations that call attention to it. In general I've found that colorations are much much more tolerated in IEMs than full size cans and appear to be included by design in many cases. So far, the e-Q7 is striking me as very similar to the HD600 signature. I am fond of the HD600 when it's well driven and the e-Q7 has a lot of the positives of the HD600. The e-Q7 is neutral with a touch of warmth, very good extension on both high and lows, has very impressive layering of soundstage. I wouldn't call it the absolute most transparent IEM I've heard but it has top tier clarity.

I'm wondering if eventually I may find the e-Q7 sound not suitable for an IEM keeper though. I would never bring along an HD600 rig to the places I use IEMs and not just because of the weight & unwieldiness. Most of the places I use IEM's -on planes, at the gym and at work when I want isolation/distraction- aren't critical listening environments. I tend to like a lot more "flashiness" in an IEM than I would tolerate in a can. The e-Q7 may be too honest and polite to get enough IEM use by me. I'm definitely enjoying and impressed by them now while "new toy" syndrome is in effect.

I'll check back on this thread and update when I have something to add. I also have a pair of CK10's to pick up in a few days, so it is going to be fun contrasting a couple new toys. Hopefully the CK10 lives up to the discussions, the e-Q7 certainly is. It is very impressive how far/fast the IEM market is moving ahead right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back