What hirez music have you purchased lately?
Jul 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 31
Picked up the following on a recent Concord SACD sale ($5.98 each). Thing is with the complications of getting an unencrypted digital signal to connect to a DAC of choice or price of getting a decent dedicated player that would compete with a DAC of choice, I may never own a SACD device.
frown.gif

Anyway, currently using the redbook layer of...

The Modern Jazz QuartetDjangoPRSA-7057-6
Various ArtistsAmadeus2WAMSA-1791-6
Ray Charles & The Count Basie OrchestraRay Sings, Basie Swings63679
McCoy TynerIlluminations63599
McCoy TynerLand Of Giants63576
Chet BakerIn New YorkRISA-1119-6
Ladysmith Black MambazoLong Walk To FreedomHUSA9109
Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony OrchestraBerlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14 / Love Scene From Romeo And Juliette60578
Michel CamiloRhapsody In Blue63611
Ray CharlesGenius Loves CompanySACD-1033-6
Lang LangRachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3 / Scriabin: Etudes60582
Tierney SuttonDancing In The Dark63592
Leonard Slatkin & Saint Louis Symphony OrchestraMahler: Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"60081
Jacques LoussierImpressions On Chopin's Nocturnes63602
Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony OrchestraDvorak: Symphony No. 9 "From The New World" / Martinu: Symphony No. 260616
Mel Torme And George ShearingA Vintage YearSACD-1026-6
Monica ManciniUltimate ManciniSACD-1034-6
Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony OrchestraProkofiev: Lieutenant Kije Suite and Symphony No. 560683
Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony OrchestraDebussy: Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune/Nocturnes/La Mer/Berceuse Heroique60617
Wynton KellyKelly BlueRISA-1142-6
Gerry Mulligan & Thelonious MonkMulligan Meets Monk

Currently, I get most of my high-res music downloaded from B&W's Society of Sound.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
probably the multi-track DVD ... i guess; but no DVD-A means you'll either get hi-rez stereo or a DD 5.1 mix.

edit: no I just read the DVD contains multi-track masters in WAV format ...
frown.gif

someone could mix them in 5.1 if they wanted, but it doens;t look like there's a native 5.1 mix anywhere

edit 2: looks like someone did and made it into a 5.1 DTS CD

Who made it into 5.1 DTS CD? Where could one acquire this?

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

the sound on the Flaming Lips discs (Yoshimi, and At War With the Mystics) is a bit raw compared to the other DVD-As but they are both mixed very aggressively.

Same with Yoshimi. I was never happy with those two. The Lips write such good music, they don't have to dress it up even more in the 5.1. Use the surround to add depth and let the sound breath so the listener may swim around in the space, not chase. The mentioned Morph the Cat was one of the better I've heard in that regard.

There are my two bits on that.

Reading about surround depresses me. I wish there were more pop/rock studio albums, not just concert discs.

Oh BTW DLeeWeb, Tweaker has a surround disc for 2 A.M Wakeup Call. It's only Dolby Digital but fun nonetheless.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same with Yoshimi. I was never happy with those two. The Lips write such good music, they don't have to dress it up even more in the 5.1. Use the surround to add depth and let the sound breath so the listener may swim around in the space, not chase. The mentioned Morph the Cat was one of the better I've heard in that regard.

There are my two bits on that.

Reading about surround depresses me. I wish there were more pop/rock studio albums, not just concert discs.

Oh BTW DLeeWeb, Tweaker has a surround disc for 2 A.M Wakeup Call. It's only Dolby Digital but fun nonetheless.

Viro,
I wish there were more pop/rock discs in surround as well. I can't believe that DVD-A | DTS discs haven't caught on to a greater degree. They sound so good. I'm going to have to look for that Tweeker disc...I have it as a regular CD and I love it. I'm also going to invest some time to see if I can track down that surround disc of "Ghosts." (though that one doesn't sound to hopeful...)

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

there's a discussion on the NIN board some guy called 'demo'

Interesting...have only read a couple of pages of this discussion so far. However, I'm getting quite an education on hi-def stereo vs. 5.1 surround etc. Thanks for the link...How is SACD different than DVD-A?

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 31
just a different way to arrive at the same destination i.e high resolution music

SACD uses DSD which is 1bit sampled @ 2.88MHz, DVD-A is traditional PCM.

Most SACDs are hybrid - meaning there's a layer you can play in your regular CD player, and you never need a video display to listen to SACDs

DVD-A are DVD media meaning you need a DVD player to at least play the discs' DVD-V layer

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

just a different way to arrive at the same destination i.e high resolution music

SACD uses DSD which is 1bit sampled @ 2.88MHz, DVD-A is traditional PCM.

Most SACDs are hybrid - meaning there's a layer you can play in your regular CD player, and you never need a video display to listen to SACDs

DVD-A are DVD media meaning you need a DVD player to at least play the discs' DVD-V layer

I may have to start looking for SACD's then, considering that DVD-A's are so hard to find...

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Pop/Rock SACDs are as thin on the ground as DVD-As are - there are new releases of classical works but other than that...

You bet, one of my later purchases was Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I spent $40 for a rather unexceptional disc.

I would consider it a little late to get started in either format seriously for pop/rock, unless one enjoys lurking ebay or combing retail for little reward, plus paying high prices for the more rare discs. You can still build a decent collection, but it will cost you time and money.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #27 of 31
SACDs are fairly easy to find online and the Dylans and Stones SACDs are still in the B&M stores.

There are some OOP ones that are tough like the Peter Gabriel and Police discs.

HMV Japan is a good source for great jazz sacds that are well mastered. Amazon is good for hundreds as well.

Perhaps the best resource is The Super Audio CD | SA-CD | SACD Reference which lists inventory at several major online vendors and has a forum for discussion and is great on keeping up with new titles. There are still dozens of new titles out every month.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 31
Found a nice copy of the multi-channel Time Out today used.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #29 of 31
I've been on an SACD spree lately: R.L. Burnside, Joarm Kaukonen, Leo Kottke, and 3 Patricia Barbers. The best tonight is the Kaukonen; the best last night was Barber (Cafe Blue), the best two nights ago was etc. etc. . . .

Also Linda Ronstadt Heart Like a Wheel in Gold CD, which was a mistake. It's totally dead and not in the same league as Hasten Down the Wind (mofi).

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been on an SACD spree lately: R.L. Burnside, Joarm Kaukonen, Leo Kottke, and 3 Patricia Barbers. The best tonight is the Kaukonen; the best last night was Barber (Cafe Blue), the best two nights ago was etc. etc. . . .

Also Linda Ronstadt Heart Like a Wheel in Gold CD, which was a mistake. It's totally dead and not in the same league as Hasten Down the Wind (mofi).

Interesting, I thought the Heart Like a Wheel gold CD was superb.

I'm continuing to buy SACDs as they are getting scarce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back