What high end 'phones for me who prefers musicality over accuracy?
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:
Ha, ha. So OP´s "...emotionally involving, endlessly musical, smooth, and just makes you want to listen to the music rather than analyze technical merits of your rig.  Something that can make anything, even bad recordings, sound musically endearing.  Accuracy and all that is not something I focus on too much.." excludes the LCD-2 - and the SR-007 is the only right answer.

Interesting.

God knows why you bought the LCD-2, then - and said ""These are pretty good headphones" at the other place. 
rolleyes.gif

I think you need to take a deep breath.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 54
Inhale. Ahh. Done. Still loving your LCD-2 Rosewood? 

Over to something far more important: What did CountChoculaBot actually buy?

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:
Inhale. Ahh. Done. Still loving your LCD-2 Rosewood? 

lol, touche.  Yeah, I really like them a lot.  To me, the LCD-2 just has a really satisfying sound.  I wish they were a bit lighter, but definitely not a deal-breaker.  I am considering changing the cable for better ergonomics, but even that isn't a big deal.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #50 of 54
Quote:
The HD650 I feel is comparable to the LCD rev 2. The HD650 has the advantage that they are light weight and don't threaten to fall off if you tilt your head too much to one side !

I would agree that the LCD-2 rev 2 has a sonic signature that is reminesent of the HD650 rev 2. The both share a very full bodied warm sound with a small to medium soundstage, they are both also very good in the bass department and pretty forgiving towards the source material despite their high detail retrival.

There are however also BIG diffrences depending on what kind of music you listen to. If you listen to slowish pop/rock/metal you might not notice much difference and some people might even prefer the HD650 - I think I do.

But if you listen to faster pop/rock/metal with alot of bass/drums you will realize that the HD650 actually is a pretty slow headphone and the LCD-2 will begin to shine. The HD650 has a wonderful sound but speed isn't its strongest point - I'd give it 4/10 where the LCD-2 gets 9/10.

And if we start listening to acoustic instuments such as - for instance - a single violin played against a black background the LCD-2 completely and utterly destroys the HD650. The HD650 will feel like a cheap toy in comparison - there's simply no nicer way to put it.

That beeing said I'm a BIG fan of the HD650 when setup properly with good source and amp as long as you understand what its limitations and strength are.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:
And if we start listening to acoustic instuments such as - for instance - a single violin played against a black background the LCD-2 completely and utterly destroys the HD650. The HD650 will feel like a cheap toy in comparison - there's simply no nicer way to put it.

Not just a single violin. A symphony orchestra will really show up the vast difference between these phones (and I too am a fan of the 650).
One sounds like a good quality headphone, the other like real instruments.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #52 of 54
Sorry for the long silence on what my decision was, I've been tryna research all my options and especially trying to see if I can make the SR 007 practical in my system.

Unfortunately, due to recent finanical unfortunalities, this setup wont be put together in the near future, but it can't hurt to plan :)

Anyway, I'd really like to avoid investing a few grand into an electrostat amp that can only power a very small number of headphones, so I'm trying to look into the WEE as a possibility to use speaker amps instead.  Any thoughts on driving a SR 007 MK1/MK2 via a WEE hooked up to a decent speaker amp? 

Right now the speaker amps I'm considering are the Almarro A318B ($2250 18W SET amp), or a Decware Zen Torii ($3000 25W tube amp that mimics the SET sound).  Both are very well reviewed as speaker amps and most tend to say they can compete above their price points.

My wish with the WEE -> Speaker Amp setup would be to just at least match a KGSS in sound quality.  Any thoughts as to whether either of these two amps can accomplish that, and power the SR007 well?  From what I've read, I believe this oughta be possible, but the reviews I read are rather old and I'd like to make sure if thoughts haven't changed since.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #53 of 54
Both of those amps are more expensive than a used KGSS in addition to being a (considerably imo) worse option (via transformer) sound quality wise.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:
Both of those amps are more expensive than a used KGSS in addition to being a (considerably imo) worse option (via transformer) sound quality wise.  

I'd like speaker amps since I have a pair of speakers whose sound I absolutely adore that they can power.

Is your input based on conjecture or experience?  I read through the two WEE topics I could find, and both had people saying a WEE with a decent speaker amp could equal the KGSS, which I'd be fine with.  I don't mean to sound like I'm calling you out with this question... it's just that I'd really like if this route worked :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back