What high end 'phones for me who prefers musicality over accuracy?
Jun 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #18 of 54
The 717 is a good match for around $1200.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #19 of 54
Would a used KGSS be good for a SR007 MK1 or MK2?  I see them go up for around 1.8-2k every few months.  The GES and 323S are okay, but if there's something that's just $500 more with a good bit more power, I'd recommend to go for that.

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 54
KGSS is an excellent choice for the SR007.  717 is another great pairing.  727 should pair well also, and you can do the simple feedback mod for improved performance.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:
Audeze LCD2 + Violectric V200 (using its built in USB DAC) was a resounding MEH.  In a technical sense it blew away the above setup for soundstage, dynamics, extension, and all that, but it had very little emotional involvement or musicality for me.  I'd put it on and WANT to like it since it was so damn expensive, but I'd just take it off maybe just a couple songs later.  There was absolutely nothing that I could really say that was bad about the sound... it just didn't captivate me on a emotional level, I guess.  

With the built in usb-to-spdif converter you've heard about 30% of the capabilities of this rig. It's real, musical, emotional high-end system when fed by good material. I'm listening to V200 and LCD-2r2 with Weiss DAC202U using balanced connection and can describe this with two words: pure music.
I see SR-007 are mentioned here. If dynamic range limitation and lack of impact are musical then go with them :) My SR-007II are retired since I have the audezes.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 54
Impact can be tuned by bending the arcs.  They're never going to slam like the Audeze, but you'll at least have more than half of the audible frequency response represented.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:
Quote:
Audeze LCD2 + Violectric V200 (using its built in USB DAC) was a resounding MEH.  In a technical sense it blew away the above setup for soundstage, dynamics, extension, and all that, but it had very little emotional involvement or musicality for me.  I'd put it on and WANT to like it since it was so damn expensive, but I'd just take it off maybe just a couple songs later.  There was absolutely nothing that I could really say that was bad about the sound... it just didn't captivate me on a emotional level, I guess.  

With the built in usb-to-spdif converter you've heard about 30% of the capabilities of this rig. It's real, musical, emotional high-end system when fed by good material. I'm listening to V200 and LCD-2r2 with Weiss DAC202U using balanced connection and can describe this with two words: pure music.
I see SR-007 are mentioned here. If dynamic range limitation and lack of impact are musical then go with them :) My SR-007II are retired since I have the audezes.

Yep. I've never tried the USB but I read it was pretty bleh and they usually are. I use a Lifatec SILFLEX Optical and Q with my LCD-2 R.2, V200 and Rega. Very warm and musical and fun. Also, very kind to poor material.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #24 of 54
The Grado PS1000 are amazingly engaging headphones(if connect with right AMPs/DAC).

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:
May I also ask what amps for the O2 would also have the audio characteristics I desire?  From the $1000-$2500 range, used/new?  Preferably towards the lower end of the price range :)

You have already Dynamic Pre Amp , Please buy Stax Sr 007 mk 2 with the electrostatic Srm 727 mk 2

You can use your Stax Srm 727 mk 2 as your power amp for your Stax sr 007 Mk 2 and drive the volume controll from your Pre amp.

Sr 007 mk 2 cost $ 2650 USD and Srm 727 mk 2 cost 2200 USD

The benefit : you can still use your Pre amp to drive your dynamic and Ortho Headphone

Sound Quality : SR 007 mk 2 is The Best Headphone i ever heard after SR 009 with the set up above

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #28 of 54
seconded some of the suggestions here. kgss if you could find used, i just sold mine recently at around USD$1,600. use it to drive 007 then you're all set for one of the most musical setup in the head-fi world. make sure you have a good source as its sensitive to sub par source. if you could stomach it and wait ,get 009 instead since its easier to drive vs 007. but if you can wait 1 year or so, might as well get bhse and pair it with 007 and you're at audio nirvana.

edit: saw you have mdht stockholm. never heard this but fwir, good feedback on havana so i assume its better if not comparable to havana. make sure also this is a neutral dac, not darkish character as 007 + kgss is already a reasonably dark combo

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #29 of 54
kgss can make sr-007 to sound detailed, smooth, transparent and analog-like but you'll never have the efortless presentation, dynamic contrasts and the punch that give you the emotion of the music.
The only electrostats I've heard that have enough dynamic range and punch were HE-90.
SR-007 are not for those who want maximum emotion from music.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 54
Just to add to everything that's been said, I still haven't heard anything that comes close to the SR-007 in musicality - only the HE90, but even then the Stax is usually mellower and considerably warmer.

It's easily the most seductive and involving listening experience I've ever had, and the only reason I haven't bought one back is because I'm saving up to try an SR-009 and see what I think of it. But there's a pretty good chance the SR-007s are my definitive headphones. Mine was an MKI and I used it with an eXStatA - I know, hardly the best amp around, but the combination still beats everything I've heard in musicality terms, apart from the Orpheus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back