What high-end DAP should I buy?
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #31 of 45
I love it. :)

As to its capacity to play DSD, I can't say. I own no DSD files. I'm perfectly happy with standard res FLAC. :D

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #32 of 45
  - the FiiO X7 does streaming but doesn´t support MQA, it supports Bluetooth but not aptX, and to have a „better“ SQ (the AM2-module) and/or a balanced out and/or a better amp, you have to pay extra and swap modules. I know it seems unfair to mention this as a negative, after all the idea behind this is the versatility, but I personally prefer the all-in-one-solution, even if there are slight compromises

Some thoughts about the X7:
MQA:  As much talk as there is about it, there isn't any MQA music. It's not even worth thinking about right now.
DSD: Nor really is DSD. It attempts to fix one problem by causing another, and the files take up whopping amounts of space. All but a tiny amount of DSD is derived from PCM anyway.
APTx: I thought the X7 did support it. I'll check because I'm in the middle of preparing a review of it.
Balanced: If you don't have balanced IEMs, don't worry about it either. 
Modules: You buy it with the module or modules you want, or get the AM0 and just use it as a transport. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #33 of 45

Some thoughts about the X7:
MQA:  As much talk as there is about it, there isn't any MQA music. It's not even worth thinking about right now.
DSD: Nor really is DSD. It attempts to fix one problem by causing another, and the files take up whopping amounts of space. All but a tiny amount of DSD is derived from PCM anyway.
APTx: I thought the X7 did support it. I'll check because I'm in the middle of preparing a review of it.
Balanced: If you don't have balanced IEMs, don't worry about it either. 
Modules: You buy it with the module or modules you want, or get the AM0 and just use it as a transport. 

You are certainly right about MQA and DSD. Actually these sub-items influence my decision of buying a DAP just marginally. I still mentioned them like in kind of a checklist, because others might find those functionalities more important than me and maybe would like to know about it when reading this thread on their search for a DAP...
About aptX, I´m pretty sure the X7 doesn´t support it because I´m remembering this being a big deal back in the days it made it´s apperance.
As I won´t use the DAP solely as a transport but also as kind of a variation to my usual sound-chain (and of course on-the-go), the AM0 is not that appealing to me. In fact just the AM2 and the AM3 are. Balanced still seems interesting to me, because I could also get a nice belanced cable for my PM-3s and furthermore (one might expect as I take so long to decide which DAP to buy
tongue.gif
)I am planning to use the DAP for AT LEAST 3-4 years, so balanced CIEMs at some point don´t seem too far-fetched 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #34 of 45
About the ongoing debate on A&K´s company policy regarding stripping down the functions of their so-called "lower-end" DAPs.

My two Cents about why they are doing this...

Short answer: Because they can.

Long answer: Astell&Kern is a so heavily established DAP-brand, holding some of the most well-regarded DAPs ever in their Portfolio, why should they undermine their own carefully designed image? From a consumers perspective of course this seems frustrating, but in the economic world, it´s everyday business (not that I´m an expert, just saying).

Let´s take car companies as an example. A new company, trying to get their share of the pie, of course tries to make an appearance in equipping their smaller or mid-sized cars with some more progressive technology, maybe partially boldly above the price-point. Why should a well-established company suddenly do the same in implementing all their superior technology of their high-end car-model(s) in their less expensive cars? All the owners of their flagship-car would feel kind of "betrayed" or ...."hurt" in their believe of having achieved something superior by paying a high cost for it. It´s pretty obvious if you look at it like this. And in DAPs, there are a lot less possibilities to find a spot where they can apply some leverage...

As long as the major-points (like DAC-Quality in general or even the looks of the device) aren´t affected, for this kind of tiered pricing, actually this isn´t a bad deal/bad company behaviour at all, IMHO...

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #35 of 45
Concerning my personal journey of finding the perfect DAP for an estimated budget of 1000 $/€ (all the same nowadays – thank you EU)…..well…..in the meantime…..I tossed the towel.

Why? 

I managed to organize a listening-session (about 2 hours in relaxed and quiet atmosphere, of course with my one of my own 128 gb micro-SD-cards) with the AK 300, the AK 320, the Calyx M and my Chord Mojo on the guest list, as were my own headphones (Oppo PM-3 and Fostex THX00-PH).

Here we go: First the Calyx M. …. . Wow. Honestly. It blew me away. No, I DID NOT expect this. At all. But it surprised me, on every (sound-)level it surprised me with it´s sheer quality. My own Chord Mojo kind of further grew on me within the first two weeks after the purchase and I indeed love it´s sound and don´t want to miss it any time soon. However the Calyx M grabbed me from the very beginning.
Full bodied, musical, smooth but still energetic and dynamic, phenomenal bass, compared to the Mojo more punchy with a better/wider = excellent stage and maybe even more refined highs. However female vocals sounded „reduced“ in direct comparison on the Calyx, and the layering/separation seemed a tad better on the Mojo to me. So much for that. The UI was laggy. When scrolling down quickly, I even managed to make the music stutter on two different occasions during the listening-session. And all in all the interface was just OK. It needs endless amounts of time for booting and scanning the SD-card (around 12 minutes in total, however it´s a steady process with constant file-attaching). The magnetic volume-thingy first seemed kind of quirky to me (and beforehand I considered it a negative), but it turned out to be very smooth and nice. And the device seemed quite powerful to me. I never exceeded 25-30% of the analog adjustment.
Of course, there still are a few strong negatives, the ridiculous battery live, no balanced-out, no wifi/bluetooth … but the soundquality really impressed me.

So, moving in to the AK300. There have been a few moments, when I almost (so close…) bought it blindly based on the first tier of impressions and it´s abilities/functionalities only. It seemed the perfect sub-1000$-package to me and no other device combined the whole „decent battery life, nice UI, very good SQ, perfect connectivity, good looks, reliable company, balanced out,…“ – criteria like this one did …
And boy, was I dissapointed!
I really do believe that maybe, if I´d listened to the devices the other way round, my verdict would have been milder, but coming from the Calyx M, it sounded like ….yeah, I have to say it… stale. VERY neutral, by far not as warm and smooth to my ears as I was expecting it to sound, but still all in all kind of….dark and imploding, not as engaging as the M or the Mojo, very poor soundstage in total. Still excellent details, don´t get me wrong, this is a definite strength, but in total not suiting my taste at all. Maybe it was too laid-back in combination with the PM-3/there wasn´t a good „synergy“, anyway the Fostex-sound also didn´t grab me as much as listening through the Mojo did. Poweer also seems tob e a serious issue! I had to go up to about 100 to 105 on the scale for a decent sound (and I tend to listen to my Mojo on the double-red-setting for reference). The volume-knob/-wheel was annoyingly sensitive. EVERY TIME I tried to scroll through a list, picking up the device with my right hand, I touched it and changed the volume. What I also really disliked was that all the cover-art is presented in a „tile“-manner and the constant „buildup and blanking, laggy buildup and blanking all over“ when scrolling up and down….hm…. Another basic miss for me, is that you cannot jump to a certain letter in album-mode, there simply is no alphabetic sidebar (yes, it´s a details, however I am using this funtion all the time). On the plus-side: scanning the library was significantly faster than on the Calyx.    

Last but not least, I grabbed the 320. There is (or at least there was a few weeks ago) a common argument saying that the sound-difference between the 300 and the 320 is not audible (one having a single implementation and the other one a dual-DAC-implementation of the same DAC). I also was of that preformed opinion after reading a few very convincing posts describing the nature of implementing two DACs in a device as pure marketing. I 100% expected and also absolutely WANTED them to sound the same. But I was proven wrong. To me, there is a clear difference and it is much in favor of the AK 320. It was like the sound of the 300 finally came to life in form of more engaging dynamics and simply a more full-bodied sound. The difference wasn´t overwhelming, but it was the well-dosed pinch of salt that made the whole listening experience more enjoyable and…..tasty. You have to simply trust me when again I´m emphasizing the fact that I was convinced that I won´t be able to hear anything better out of the 320 than out of the 300, but to me the difference is DEFINITELY there. Is it worth 1000 $/€ more? Probably not. The rest of the package is exactly the same, same UI-issues I had with the 300 and so on, although – and this admittedly now is very subjective – the gun-metal finish looks much better and nicer than the black version. Sadly, I ran out of time and wasn´t able to compare it directly to the Calyx M in the end.

SO, my personal conclusions are, that at the moment, the market does not offer me a solution that I am completely pleased with - at least not for 1000 bucks (or less). I am very happy and satisfied with my phone/Mojo-combo right now. TOO HAPPY, to invest this kind of money in something that would leave the urge to upgrade one day. There simply are other things I would rather buy (talking about our common musical hobby only right now). I definitely planned to purchase a new DAP but now I´m convinced that those other things would just give me more in return.

I listened to the Hisound Studio 6, the FiiO X7 (only with AM1), the Astell&Kern AK 300, the AK 320, the Questyle QP1R, the Calyx M, the FiiO X5ii and the Cowon Plenue P1 (I had the Luxury&Precision L5Pro literally in my hands over at Layton Audio in Montréal, when the battery died just 5 seconds after I picked it up and when I returned a few days later, it already was sold - maybe we were not meant for each other…).
If I HAD/was FORCED to decide which one to buy, I think I would have gone with the Calyx M. It´s that appealing to me soundwise and in an ideal universe I could cope with it´s negatives. But I can´t. If I could afford spending twice the money on a DAP and it wouldn´t hurt me a bit financially, I would take a closer look at the AK 320 again. But I can´t. So I go on living a happy life with my Mojo (and maybe wait for the DX200 to appear
tongue.gif
).

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #36 of 45
  I managed to organize a listening-session (about 2 hours in relaxed and quiet atmosphere, of course with my one of my own 128 gb micro-SD-cards) with the AK 300, the AK 320, the Calyx M and my Chord Mojo on the guest list, as were my own headphones (Oppo PM-3 and Fostex THX00-PH).

Hello, HPLobster -

Thanks for your post. I am also in the market for a DAP, so your findings interest me.

I do have questions. Did you try to match the volume across each of the DAPs? Often the loudest DAP will sound best simply because it's easier to hear. Also, what about the QP1R--how does the sound quality compare with the other players?

Best regards,
Brian

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #37 of 45
SO, my personal conclusions are, that at the moment, the market does not offer me a solution that I am completely pleased with - at least not for 1000 bucks (or less). I am very happy and satisfied with my phone/Mojo-combo right now... ...I listened to the Hisound Studio 6, the FiiO X7 (only with AM1), the Astell&Kern AK 300, the AK 320, the Questyle QP1R, the Calyx M, the FiiO X5ii and the Cowon Plenue P1 (I had the Luxury&Precision L5Pro literally in my hands over at Layton Audio in Montréal, when the battery died just 5 seconds after I picked it up and when I returned a few days later, it already was sold - maybe we were not meant for each other…).
If I HAD/was FORCED to decide which one to buy, I think I would have gone with the Calyx M. It´s that appealing to me soundwise and in an ideal universe I could cope with it´s negatives. But I can´t. If I could afford spending twice the money on a DAP and it wouldn´t hurt me a bit financially, I would take a closer look at the AK 320 again. But I can´t.

Thanks for sharing your "journey" with us - very interesting results!
beerchug.gif

It just goes to show you that buying blind is always a risky proposition, particularly when dealing with €€€ DAPs (or DACS or Headphones or...).
2hrs in a relaxed environment is 100x better than going by the one or other review. Even is said review is by a VIP. Simply put, even with the ample glossary of terms used to describe an audio device's sonic qualities and overall signature, your ears (-> brain) are your own and thus nothing beats personal "hands-on" experience.

It's unfortunate for us all that we cannot "rent" three ~ four DAPs (or DACS or Headphones or...). in order to test them over a longer period of time because - as you noted:
Calyx M > AK300 < AK320 doesn't guarantee A/B results between Calyx M and AK320.

Regarding the 300 vs. 320 difference... I would like to think that separate channel paths (2 x DAC, ...) would result in a verifiable difference, particularly in light of the costs associated with the latter. However I am trying to instigate a conspiracy theory** that maybe, just maybe, companies like Onkyo and A&K are tweaking their units to produce a sonic difference. It's hard to "sell" the 380's price tag on native DSD-processing (and improved housing materials) alone, if 9/10 "experts" would say they sound 100% identical.  I would gladly shell out 25~50% more for added functionality and improved materials, but 100% more... ? Tough. Very. I guess we can say the same of the 300 and 320 - only worse, as the materials are the same so we are "banking on" a sonic improvement on channel separation alone.
**I jest, of course
biggrin.gif

Interesting "interview" about a collab between Teac & AKM (from 2015).

What struck me most was the 5 "sound-tuning" options available with the AK4490 chip...

Untitled.png

Makes me wonder how A&K configured them* for the 300/320/380.

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #38 of 45
Thanks for sharing your "]I am trying to instigate a conspiracy theory** that maybe, just maybe, companies like Onkyo and A&K are tweaking their units to produce a sonic difference.

That's my theory, as well.That's just about the only thing that can account for the AK120ii and AK240 sounding so different (as all the reviews state). Apart from DSD capacity, they possess all the same hardware and specs, yet everyone hears the 240 as warmer and more organic. I suspect it is simply tuned in software to achieve that sound. Literally just a hidden EQ.

That is all it would take to convince the mind of the superiority of the more expensive player. "It MUST be an increase in quality, not just an increase in mid-bass." Even though we know it's the same DAC and Amp inside, the price difference, combined with the sound difference, MUST equate to one being more "organic and refined". :D

Of course, I could just be trying to justify my contentment with the AK120ii. :cool:

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #39 of 45

Hello, HPLobster -

Thanks for your post. I am also in the market for a DAP, so your findings interest me.

I do have questions. Did you try to match the volume across each of the DAPs? Often the loudest DAP will sound best simply because it's easier to hear. Also, what about the QP1R--how does the sound quality compare with the other players?

Best regards,
Brian

Hi Brian,

I actually tried to volume-match the devices because I certainly am aware of an influential effect concerning dynamics and details, that higher volumes oftenly induce. But due to time limitations (and the lack of dedicated equipment), it all comes down to basic „subjective-impression/volume-matching“ only. Actually the AK 320 DID sound louder on the same settings in the beginning as I mirrored the settings, I had to adjust it´s volume down to around 92 on the volume-scale to be in the same loudness-level. 
I know that many people out there make a BIG deal out of accurate volume-matching and ignore any comparisons made without one. All I can say is that I did my very best in trying to maintain/adjust similar volume-levels. I don´t think I did a terrible job as I´ve been an ambitious musician all my life, but I´m no robot of course, so there for sure is no 100%-accuracy. I post these personal impressions as subjective descriptions only, all readers must decide for themselves what they make of it.

Talking about the QP1R, I intentionally didn´t post any detailed description of it, because the circumstances of listening were rather poor (not relaxed but in a hurry – no possibility for an „in-depth“ sound-analysis and/or listening through my favorite tracks). However I afterwards instantly dumped it from my list because I was insanely put off by the interface/“wheel“. It´s a user-friendliness – …… abomination! In an otherwise seemingly great device. It´s a shame….
I happened to talk to the owner/operator of one of the biggest online-retailers of the device, he revealed to me that their return quota for the QP1R was 100%. Because of the wheel. That is why they (and most of the German retailers) won´t sell the Questyle anymore.
As this probably turns out to be a pretty unhelpful response to you
tongue.gif
, let me tell you that –sound only – if I let my short listening-session sink in, I personally would still tend towards the Calyx M and the Mojo. The QP1R bluntly presents it´s much more analytical sound-signature (not necessarily a bad thing), very good resolution, fast… , but unfortunately, I can´t give you a more detailed sound-analysis.  

Just one last remark: As I was visiting Layton Audio in Montréal, one of the employees got aware of my interest in DAPs and told me that he owned quite a few of them, his favourite one being the AK 240. According to him, after owning the Questyle-DAP for some time, he would eventually classify his QP1R as 100% on par, sharing the same sound-signature.

Hopefully you are not more confused now than before
beyersmile.png

Best regards,

Michael

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #40 of 45
All I know is that I love my Questyle QP1R. Either with my Shure SE846s, or with my Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GMs.

May 6, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #41 of 45
i thought i'd reopen this thread esp since the Apple 10.3.1 OS issues now creating havoc for those of us
using various dacs/amps etc with apple devices.
Apple iOS update prevents DACs working with your iPhone
https://www.whathifi.com/news/apple-ios-update-prevents-dacs-working-your-iphone

so what device would replace a mojo for sq and an ipod touch for it's good UI and wifi
(I also stream tidal, in addition to having flac)...AK300, ibasso dx200?...others?

http://avprogear.com/top-10-best-portable-music-players-for-audiophiles/

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 45
Yes The QP1R is a great sounding Dap but if you have the coin the AK380 with the amp is all that.

May 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #44 of 45
Yes The QP1R is a great sounding Dap but if you have the coin the AK380 with the amp is all that.
I will try it if I win the lottery. I am thankful that I can enjoy the sound I do without breaking the bank. I actually like the Questyle QP1R better than the AK240SS, but have never tried the AK380/Amp combo.

May 8, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #45 of 45
I will try it if I win the lottery. I am thankful that I can enjoy the sound I do without breaking the bank. I actually like the Questyle QP1R better than the AK240SS, but have never tried the AK380/Amp combo.
Yes I agree it is very expensive for sure and about zero chance I'll buy it but it does sound really good nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back