What headphones you plan to buy next
May 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 192
I'm going to be buying K702's and a DAC/amp. Hopefully, if I can sell my MDR-V6's (hint hint), I can also get some KSC75's with the headband mod and Sennheiser PX200 pads.

May 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 192
Absolutely nothing! I'm so tired of headphones. I'm losing out on money and I'm just about set on two or three pairs. For those that don't mind me rambling on, here's what i've been through in the last two months(!) in order of what i've liked the most:
(ranking is not based on just sound quality, but a combination of how much I liked them overall, based on price, sound quality, comfort and fit)

Sennheiser HD-600 (favorite headphone i've heard so far. I won't go past the $400 price point. It's a keeper and my primary headphone. Strangely, I hated the HD-650 and almost skipped this)
Triple Fi 10 (I had to put this here despite them being an IEM and having used them for the last THREE years! Never getting rid of these)
Shure SRH-840 (sound is so good that I'm keeping them despite a poor fit. It probably isn't "better" sounding then the 702)
AKG 702 (strangely my old 701 sounded better and had a better fit?! No longer own. These lost out vs the Sennheiser HD-600 due to specific accuracy with some instruments)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (keeping, perfect fit, but doesn't sound as good as the SRH-840, but I like the bass! The highs are also a lot less annoying)
Creative Aurvana Live (no they don't sound better then Beyers, I just don't like the Beyer sound as much as some people)
Beyer Dynamic DT-880 32 ohm
Beyer Dynamic DT-990 32 ohm (the sound of the two Beyers get on my nerves, but they have a ton of detail. Too much to me)
Sennheiser HD-25-1 II (sounds like a $75 headphone. Vocals don't seem accurate)
AKG 240 MK II
Sony MDR-V6 (perfect fit and comfort with upgraded pads. Very recessed mid-range)
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (the worst fitting headphone in the world for my small head. I liked these for the first few days, but then realized how bad they were for some music)

Ok I lied.. kind of.
I actually want to find out if the Shure SRH750DJ has a better fit then the SRH-840. If so I might try that. If it sounds just as good and fits well, i'm going to sell my 840.

May 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 192

Quote:

Yes he has, and I think, just "liked" them. (Correct me if I'm wrong please. The sig length max has sadly (or not. It usually slightly bugged me besides the few times like this) been shortened.

Anyways, I plan on getting a pair of K340s or maybe a black SR325. I want a shift from neutral. There's also the DT48A that KBI has me searching high and low for. After that, I'll be looking for a W11JPN. And when AKG finally comes to their senses and make a K1000 successor, Id probably get that too. I've also been interested in a modded HFI780, but I'll have to hear them at Canjam this year to consider them.

These plans might (hopefully) be pushed aside when I build a pair of nice open baffle speakers this summer and pair them with a nice tube amp.

May 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 192

Quote:
here's what i've been through in the last two months(!)

all that in two months?  jeez-lou-freakin-weez!!!! 
confused_face.gif

yeah.  i'd recommend a brief break from headphone purchases.  hahaha. 
biggrin.gif

i recall reading a thread recently where someone bemoaned how much they had spent on head-fi throughout the year.
i think it was under a grand.  and the general response from other head-fiers was "aw, isn't that cute", patting him on the head.  hahahaha.

of course, that prompted me to add up what i had bought thus far in 2010. 
and it was not pretty.

your post, on the other hand, makes me feel like a miser. 
wink.gif

May 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 192

Quote:
I will probably won't get new gear in the next 6 months or so because lack of cash,but when i will it will probably be the ultrasone ED8 which i started to check out only recentely or the grado PS1000.

Hey plonter,

Isn't that position in your avatar from a Paul Morphy game?

As to headphones, I had been planning to, and finally yesterday I bougth a set of HD-600. Havent' done much listening with them but little as I have heard, these are here to stay :)

cheers!

May 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 192

Quote:
I have a JVC DX700 coming next month so that is my next purchase....

The biggest thing for me really now is deciding how much money I want to pour into a DAC... I am thinking either getting the Oppo B83SE with the new Emotiva DAC or only getting the AudioGD ref 7... big difference in price but I am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to fully balanced on the DAC end so that when the time comes, I only have to recable my headphones and get a new amp instead of upgrading everything. Audio GD would be like 1/2 of my summer earnings too... so that is pretty rough.

Since you are happy with the Meier Concerto why not get the StageDac?

May 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 192
I plan on buying a new DAC first, but my next headphone purchases will probabaly by Sennheiser HD600 and Shure SRH840 (a closed headphone would be nice to own).

May 8, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #23 of 192
Hmm maybe a esw10 for me, after i get over my esw9...
Also considering the ultrasone line, but unsure yet....

May 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 192
Well I missed out on the special pricing... maybe Jan will honour it if I buy it soon enough, but I am not really into the whole crossfeed thing and, at least on a psychological level I feel some of the money is put into that when I would never use it... makes it seem like less of a good deal. Thats the only reason why I guess, also I could be wrong but I don't think it reclocks the data which seems to be a big deal in a dac. I do like that he uses two different PSUs though. Maybe I should shoot an email Jans way. I should probably feel like I am getting a better deal though because Jan is very notorious for giving excellent performance for very modest prices.

Basically I want to go big, or just get the oppo. I might end up getting the stagedac, but the sabres in the oppo really have my attention. Blu-ray with epic sound might be enough to get me to enjoy movies again too.

The emotiva DAC looks real good for the price 299.99 and I would use it with my xbox, ps2 and all my other things to get a better sound if I got the Oppo. Thats the plan anyways.

Spending on audio gear is really getting out of hand so I gotta start making as perfect as purchases as possible ^___^

May 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 192
I've got a pair of 650's, and some shure se420's for monitoring.  I'm really looking for a nice closed can for studio work.  Definitely leaning toward the M50

May 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #26 of 192
I dont actually have any plans to buy any headphones. I'm quite content with what i have. My gear needs upgrading though, my amp doesn't go with my DT880/600's and well yeah. It sucks. MS-1i's have a cool SSig although uncomfortable so i dont think i'd ever get a pricier Grado/Alessandro. TF10's.. i'm pretty comfortable with those as my portables. I'd just like to get a tube amp (maybe next week) and get a source that doesn't have RCAs on the front :frowning2: lol.

May 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 192
I'm planning to buy some Alessandro MS-1i's in the near future, and perhaps some AD700's for gaming. Some closed headphones might be nice in the future, maybe some Ultrasones. I'll probably be getting a DAC fairly soon too, maybe a Zero, Sparrow, or uDAC. I don't really need any IEM's at the moment, I'm happy with my Super.fi 3's. I wouldn't mind an iBasso T3 for my iPod, but the sound is good enough for me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back