What headphones to buy as a worthy upgrade over the HFI-780s?
Jun 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #16 of 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a hot button issue and taking a stance on either side is going to draw some criticism, but let's just say that 320kbps mp3s are quite good. Many will argue that they can't tell the difference between 320s and FLAC (I'm among that crowd with most recordings), but others will say that they can. I have no doubt that there are a blessed few with incredible ears and high dollar systems who can, but I think most people are subject to a placebo effect - they simply think they can hear the higher quality, but a blind test would prove otherwise. All ears are unique - do some testing and see if you can really tell the difference. If not, there's nothing wrong with 320s.

I've noticed some recordings sound superior in lossless formats while others are absolutely identical in 320kbps/V0.  As a rule, if FLAC is available grab it.  Being that the thread starter likes electronic, he no doubt has Bleep bookmarked.  They do a great job of having FLAC as an option.

As a matter of fact, electronic-based or highly synthetic music seems to be the most noticeable improvement when comparing FLAC to MP3. (to my ears, at least)  On the other hand, I've heard vinyl rips of purely instrumented music with basic production values that definitely benefitted from the lossless treatment.  By this logic, it's on an album-by-album basis in my opinion.

EDIT: Bleep has supported both FLAC and WAV formats.

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 55

Quote:
I have honestly been trying to identify and listen for a soundstage but I'll be damned if I can tell a difference.between any of my headphones as far as soundstaging goes. 

Thanks for the reply; I've heard that many people can tell the difference between "soundstaging" (say the AKG K701/2 vs. Denon D2000), but like cables, this issue might be subjective to the listener's preferences and the placebo effect might be incorporated. However, have you ever noticed that some headphones sound "in your head" and others sound more open and kind of "around you"? Could you please comment if the pro 900 and w1000x sound like either (I think they might be more "in your head" because they are closed headphones after all). On another note, I will have to check out that Kees mod for the pro900 since it's free and seems easy to do. The new Ultrasone Pro 2900 headphones, an open variant of the 900s, has just been released; so far, I haven't seen any reviews of it, but this might be potential headphones that fit my needs.

Quote:

I've noticed some recordings sound superior in lossless formats while others are absolutely identical in 320kbps/V0.  As a rule, if FLAC is available grab it.  Being that the thread starter likes electronic, he no doubt has Bleep bookmarked.  They do a great job of having FLAC as an option.

As a matter of fact, electronic-based or highly synthetic music seems to be the most noticeable improvement when comparing FLAC to MP3. (to my ears, at least)  On the other hand, I've heard vinyl rips of purely instrumented music with basic production values that definitely benefitted from the lossless treatment.  By this logic, it's on an album-by-album basis in my opinion.

Very helpful information you posted Curly21029. I think I should acquire more FLAC music from now on when the opportunity allows it.
I actually haven't heard of Bleep before; I will definitely check it out for future purchases.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:
Thanks for the reply; I've heard that many people can tell the difference between "soundstaging" (say the AKG K701/2 vs. Denon D2000), but like cables, this issue might be subjective to the listener's preferences and the placebo effect might be incorporated. However, have you ever noticed that some headphones sound "in your head" and others sound more open and kind of "around you"? Could you please comment if the pro 900 and w1000x sound like either (I think they might be more "in your head" because they are closed headphones after all). On another note, I will have to check out that Kees mod for the pro900 since it's free and seems easy to do. The new Ultrasone Pro 2900 headphones, an open variant of the 900s, has just been released; so far, I haven't seen any reviews of it, but this might be potential headphones that fit my needs.

Very helpful information you posted Curly21029. I think I should acquire more FLAC music from now on when the opportunity allows it.
I actually haven't heard of Bleep before; I will definitely check it out for future purchases.

As a correction, I've seen Bleep do both FLAC and WAV.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 55
I love trance/electronic music as well. I used to own a pair of ultrasone hfi-780's until I dropped them on my hardwood floor one too many times
triportsad.gif
. I was looking for an upgrade to my 780's as well and after a lot of research decided on the Denon D7000's. At first I was dissapointed, although I did only run them off my pc's soundcard. I got an amp and dac shortly afterwards and they really made the Denon's come alive. I can not tell you these cans are a 100% upgrade from ultrasone 780's, the Denon's sound is definitely different. A deep soothing warm bass is the overall sound signature I can describe for these D7000's. I can tell you I enjoy the D7000's very much for trance/electronic music although a decent amp is recommended. One area where Denon's really are incomparable is the comfort factor, the big cushy leather pads are extremely comfortable and feel very luxourious.

One thing I'll add is that ultrasone and electronic music go very well together, like they were made for each other. If you really enjoy the 780's I'd say try to improve them by buying a better amp and/or dac, or what I was planning was modding them with the ALO-780 mod. I've heard very good things about that mod.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 55
It's probably more in your head for both headphones 

Quote:
However, have you ever noticed that some headphones sound "in your head" and others sound more open and kind of "around you"? Could you please comment if the pro 900 and w1000x sound like either (I think they might be more "in your head" because they are closed headphones after all). On another note, I will have to check out that Kees mod for the pro900 since it's free and seems easy to do. The new Ultrasone Pro 2900 headphones, an open variant of the 900s, has just been released; so far, I haven't seen any reviews of it, but this might be potential headphones that fit my needs.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 55

Quote:
However, have you ever noticed that some headphones sound "in your head" and others sound more open and kind of "around you"?

That's generally a characteristic of closed and open headphones, respectively.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 55
^ hate to shill (in a vague sense) but sounds like time for an amplifier upgrade, I know the Pro900 has a decently big soundstage. Otherwise, it would be the kind of recordings you listen to, classical and jazz are always good tests for soundstage... Don't you the instruments sound further part on some of your headphones?

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #24 of 55
If that was directed at me I do have the stagedac and concerto en route which should be arriving any day now I also listen exclusively to metal and a bit of rock which probably isn't going to provide me with the best examples of a soundstaging. 

Quote:
^ hate to shill (in a vague sense) but sounds like time for an amplifier upgrade, I know the Pro900 has a decently big soundstage. Otherwise, it would be the kind of recordings you listen to, classical and jazz are always good tests for soundstage... Don't you the instruments sound further part on some of your headphones?

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 55
Yep, that was
biggrin.gif

I'm not at sure about metal, I might do some tests in the morning, but usually I think of rock being these 5 guys back standing a next to each other on the stage, a lot of people like a cozier representation, and there are so many bad recordings out there that's missing the soundstage information, probably burned out by the volume wars.... But nevertheless you should be able to find something, good luck with the Concerto.

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #26 of 55

Quote:
I love trance/electronic music as well. I used to own a pair of ultrasone hfi-780's until I dropped them on my hardwood floor one too many times
triportsad.gif
. I was looking for an upgrade to my 780's as well and after a lot of research decided on the Denon D7000's. At first I was dissapointed, although I did only run them off my pc's soundcard. I got an amp and dac shortly afterwards and they really made the Denon's come alive. I can not tell you these cans are a 100% upgrade from ultrasone 780's, the Denon's sound is definitely different. A deep soothing warm bass is the overall sound signature I can describe for these D7000's. I can tell you I enjoy the D7000's very much for trance/electronic music although a decent amp is recommended. One area where Denon's really are incomparable is the comfort factor, the big cushy leather pads are extremely comfortable and feel very luxourious.

One thing I'll add is that ultrasone and electronic music go very well together, like they were made for each other. If you really enjoy the 780's I'd say try to improve them by buying a better amp and/or dac, or what I was planning was modding them with the ALO-780 mod. I've heard very good things about that mod.

It's very nice to hear that there are other EDM (Electronic Dance Music) lovers out there
dt880smile.png
The D7000s are headphones I have been seriously contemplating to purchase as well; could you comment on the isolation and build quality of the D7000s? FWIR, they are rather loose fitting and don't block out sound that well; however, I wouldn't mind the lack of isolation, since I'm also considering open headphones.
Looking at your signature, I see that you have both the Ultrasone Edition 8s and the D7000s; I do realize the Edition 8s are out of my price range but if they prove to be worth what they cost, I'll really think about them. What is your take on this?
Since you say the D7000s need a good amp to shine, what entry-level desktop amp would you recommend I get for the D7000s, if I do indeed get the Denons?
I have one last question if you don't mind: I know that others, such as tisb0b, don't notice differences in the expansiveness of soundstage between headphones, but I was wondering if you could mention if the D7000s sound wider, deeper, and more 3-D than the HFI-780s. I believe that "soundstage" really gives me that
basshead.gif
factor and truly makes the music I'm listening to more engaging.
Many thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Yep, that was
biggrin.gif

I'm not at sure about metal, I might do some tests in the morning, but usually I think of rock being these 5 guys back standing a next to each other on the stage, a lot of people like a cozier representation, and there are so many bad recordings out there that's missing the soundstage information, probably burned out by the volume wars.... But nevertheless you should be able to find something, good luck with the Concerto.

I have read over and over again how amazing the concerto is.  Would you recommend the concerto for someone with my needs? Or should I wait until I get into the really high-end 'phones, such as the HD800s?
Cheers

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 55
I'm in the same position as you are in. I'm a huge electronic music fan and want something that really suits this type of music well. I've gotten tired of my hfi-780s because it's too painful to wear for extended periods of time and the soundstage is very 2D (for games, at least). The construction and quality of the build is also subpar. The bass, however, is almost exactly what I've been looking for (imo bass is the most important thing to consider for EDM :D), although it's just a little too taut. I've been looking at the MDR-SA5000, ATH-AD2000, DT990-600, and D5000/7000 but I can't make a decision yet. If Ultrasone is revamping their lineup I'll probably wait a bit and see what they release.

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:
... The bass, however, is almost exactly what I've been looking for (imo bass is the most important thing to consider for EDM :D), although it's just a little too taut. I've been looking at the MDR-SA5000, ATH-AD2000, DT990-600, and D5000/7000 but I can't make a decision yet. If Ultrasone is revamping their lineup I'll probably wait a bit and see what they release.

Sony SA5000 and AD2000 will be very bass-light in comparison, they are open and airy, albeit fast but lack impact. DT990-600ohm I haven't heard but from reading seems to be more of a mid-bass than sub-bass, the higher the ohm the better the SQ but at the cost of bass extension. D5000/7000 are very bass heavy, I owned the D2000 for a period of time and the bass was overly bloated... I enjoyed the hfi-780 bass for electronica, it was nice and fast but the D2000s bass (D5000 has even more) was slow and sloppy, perhaps better suited to D&B and hip hop.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #29 of 55

Quote:
I'm in the same position as you are in. I'm a huge electronic music fan and want something that really suits this type of music well. I've gotten tired of my hfi-780s because it's too painful to wear for extended periods of time and the soundstage is very 2D (for games, at least). The construction and quality of the build is also subpar. The bass, however, is almost exactly what I've been looking for (imo bass is the most important thing to consider for EDM :D), although it's just a little too taut. I've been looking at the MDR-SA5000, ATH-AD2000, DT990-600, and D5000/7000 but I can't make a decision yet. If Ultrasone is revamping their lineup I'll probably wait a bit and see what they release.

Demon, we are like twins.
Your past concerns with the HFI-780s, the headphones you're looking into, and your music preferences mirror mine perfectly. It seems that many people are in the same boat as I, and together, we shall find the ultimate headphones for Electronic music...

Electronic music lovers and fans, from the far reaches of the Head-Fi galaxy.... UNITE!!!!!

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #30 of 55

Quote:
Sony SA5000 and AD2000 will be very bass-light in comparison, they are open and airy, albeit fast but lack impact. DT990-600ohm I haven't heard but from reading seems to be more of a mid-bass than sub-bass, the higher the ohm the better the SQ but at the cost of bass extension. D5000/7000 are very bass heavy, I owned the D2000 for a period of time and the bass was overly bloated... I enjoyed the hfi-780 bass for electronica, it was nice and fast but the D2000s bass (D5000 has even more) was slow and sloppy, perhaps better suited to D&B and hip hop.

yeah that's why I've held off purchasing the SA5000s and AD2000 because I don't think the bass will suit my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back