What headphones to buy as a worthy upgrade over the HFI-780s?
Jun 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

floeezy

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings all Head-Fiers,

2 years ago, I was one who listened to white iBuds because everyone else did and I knew no better. For my birthday, I received a pair of $30 JVC headphones which were an improvement over the apple ones; this piqued my interest for headphones. When those broke in a matter of weeks, I did a bit of research and bought the Denon AH-D1001 headphones; the headphonia addictiona disease had now successfully infected me. I still wasn't completely satisfied with the Denons, so a year later I bought the Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones. Next came the Meier-Audio Corda Headsix portable amplifier. Finally, I am getting a soon to arrive Cowon J3 to use as a source. Now I stand as a high school student with the disease still going strong.

Enough about the past, lets move on to the reason why I started this thread; I need you guys to enlighten me on what headphones to purchase next. I want these new headphones to be a significant improvement over my Ultrasone HFI-780s; what I like about the HFI-780s is that they have a nice bass impact and overall sound balanced to me; on the other hand, what I dislike is that they sound very linear (2-D) in regard to the soundstage and, even though they have velor ear-pads and a custom headband, comfort is not too great for long listening sessions. I would love for my new cans to last me a good five years and be somewhat portable (e.g. long car rides; this requirement might limit my options so portability can be sacrificed if necessary). I think I'll leave the true portability to my Ultrasones (e.g. walking down the street). My music library is basically only composed of electronic music: house, electro, progressive, trance, and even hardstyle; however, I do listen to the occasional Pink Floyd/Queen/Led Zeppelin and Beethoven/Mozart, so headphones that can do electronic music perfectly but also other genres decently would be ideal. Please keep in mind that nearly all my music files are 320 kbps MP3s. After MANY hours of eye-straining Head-Fi searching, I am still lost in regard to what headphones would be best for my needs. I am currently considering the following headphones:

(Street prices are in US$ and don't even include the outrageous shipping costs and custom duties that haunt any cross-border Canadian buyer)

Closed:

Denon LA2000 (Markl modified D2000) - $730
Audio Technica ATH-W5000 - $700
Denon AH-D7000 - $600
Ultrasone Pro 900 - $550
Audio Technica ATH-W1000X - $540
Darth Beyer V4 (Larry modified DT 770/80) ~ $500

Open:

Ultrasone Pro 2900 - $550
Sennheisier HD650 - $380
Sony MDR-SA5000 - $350
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 ohm - $260 (‘03 or ‘05 version?)
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 250 ohm - $250 (^)
AKG K702 - $250

As you can see the prices vary quite a bit; however, I've come to realize that price is more a measure of how many units a company thinks it can sell, to make the largest profit, than a realistic measure of performance/quality. Frankly I have no idea how much I want to spend, but a $700 maximum seems reasonable (LA2000 excluded because they are so sexy!). I think I'm going to regret this purchase on the long run ((d[X_X]b)). Anyways, you have most definitely noticed that all these cans have very different characteristics/signatures, which is one reason why I call for much-needed guidance in my choice. One other thing I would like to address is the issue of properly amplifying those above mentioned headphones, but I think this question belongs in another forum; nevertheless, I do want to say that if my new headphones could perform at no less than 80% of their full potential when amplified through my Headsix, I would be a VERY happy person (-edit: this can be ignored if obligatory).

I apologize for the rather long post, but I felt that I had a lot to put out there since this will be quite a bit of money for me since I am a 10th grader. I do understand that auditioning the headphones you're going to buy before actually getting them is by far the smartest way to go; however, I live in a  rather remote area where this would be impossible, so this is why any opinions, suggestions for other headphones, advice, or even criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Headphone-addict till death!
- Florent

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 55
Here is a list for quick reference, detailing the must-haves for my new headphones:

Requirements

1. Price can vary from $250 to $700
  2. Must be a significant improvement over my Ultrasone HFI-780s in terms of sound quality
  3. Must play electronic music (house, electro, trance, etc.) especially well, and can play other genres reasonably well
  4. Open or closed; however, I see the advantages of both
  5. Should have an expansive soundstage (depth/width/3-D like); this is where open cans would be beneficial
  6. Would be nice if they were somewhat portable (e.g. long car rides); this is where closed cans would be beneficial (-edit: not a requirement at all just a nice bonus)
  7. Must be comfortable for long listening sessions
  8. Can perform at no less than 80% of their full potential when amplified through my Meier-Audio Corda Headsix (-edit: this can be ignored if obligatory)

Other Things to Consider

1. Nearly all my music files are 320 kbps MP3s
  2. Please tell me if using a Cowon J3 (an upgraded S9) as a source for my new headphones would be a smart idea. If not, please suggest some other portable sources I could use.
  3. I will definitely buy a dedicated desktop amplifier in the future; however, if my new headphones require a >$1000 amp to even start sounding decent, I think I can forget about it
  4. I haven’t explored the possibility of planar headphones yet, but if anyone believes this type of headphone could be my cup of tea, please say so

Again, many thanks for any suggestions, opinions, or advice the Head-Fi community might have.

Cheers

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 55
After going over the requirements for my new headphones, I've noticed that the "must-haves" are way too strict and limit my options. If anyone has suggestions for headphones that would fit just a few of my needs, please speak up because I am really in need of advice.
Thanks

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 55
From your selection I only have experience with the W1000X and the pro900's, As far as portability goes the Pro900's are clearly superior, the plastic is strong and looks like it'd take a few beatings along with the inclusion of 2 different cables. The W1000X doesn't even include a 1/4 to 1/8 converter unlike the majority of the lower end audio technica models. They both have a different sound signature, I haven't heard the HFI-780's but with the pro900's the kees mod is almost mandatory. Personally its a bit of a toss up between the two headphones on some songs the pro900's sound better on others the W1000X are better. The Pro900's are better value for money considering they can be routinely found used for around $350. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 55

Quote:
A very used Ultrasone Ed 8/9?

Fixed 
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 55
Thanks for all the feedback guys; I couldn't reply earlier because it was passed midnight when I last posted.

Mr Joboto,

The Ultrasone edition 8s would be the ideal headphones for me because they are very easy to drive and still sound amazing. On the other hand, I believe the soundstage is not up to par when compared to other headphones of its price range (which is too high for me at the moment), but this is to be expected from a closed headphone; however, I think I would accept the limited soundstage for the isolation and the looks. I kind of regret not taking the plunge and buying them when they were listed at $995 on HeadRoom's B-Stock a few days ago!

tisb0b,

Ultrasone Pro 900 seems like a viable option for me, except I believe Ultrasone is revamping their entire line-up this month, and I was wondering if any sonic changes (driver, etc.) would come about for the Pro 900? Also, how comfortable are the 900s and can they be driven by a portable amp and still sound very good?
The W1000X seem like a viable option as well, but the thing that might bother me is the 3 m long cable (this is probably very fixable with a termination but I would lose the beautiful wooden plug
frown.gif
). Furthermore, they look just so...delicious... I think AT got it bang on when it comes to woodies. After reading more about them, I've come to realize that they might not sound all that great with my Headsix portable amp, but I might as well hurt my wallet even more and buy a desktop amplifier.

dub Beatz,

Just by your name, I must assume that you listen to house. PM me and our great minds can work together and discover some wicked tracks; it's really too bad electronic music isn't recognized in North America.

Lastly, 320 kbps MP3s shouldn't limit my listening pleasure all that much? I would really appreciate it if anyone could comment on the quality of 320 kbps MP3s, when listening to them through high-end headphones.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 55
Iva,

What amp do you use for your HD650? I'll consider the Sennheiser's as well if they prove to be good for electronic music.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 55

Quote:

Lastly, 320 kbps MP3s shouldn't limit my listening pleasure all that much? I would really appreciate it if anyone could comment on the quality of 320 kbps MP3s, when listening to them through high-end headphones.

That's a hot button issue and taking a stance on either side is going to draw some criticism, but let's just say that 320kbps mp3s are quite good. Many will argue that they can't tell the difference between 320s and FLAC (I'm among that crowd with most recordings), but others will say that they can. I have no doubt that there are a blessed few with incredible ears and high dollar systems who can, but I think most people are subject to a placebo effect - they simply think they can hear the higher quality, but a blind test would prove otherwise. All ears are unique - do some testing and see if you can really tell the difference. If not, there's nothing wrong with 320s.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 55
The W1000X do not need amping to sound great I've briefly tested them out of my sansa clip and didn't notice any difference from my current desktop rig but that my change when my concerto and stagedac arrives >:D The Pro900's do need some juice to sound their best but they certainly aren't demanding. I find my 900's to be comfortable but YMMV. I really haven't read much about ultrasone revamping their entire line up but that would be the perfect excuse to grab a cheap pro900 just be aware they do need plenty of burn in and the kees mod to sound their best.  

Quote:
tisb0b,

Ultrasone Pro 900 seems like a viable option for me, except I believe Ultrasone is revamping their entire line-up this month, and I was wondering if any sonic changes (driver, etc.) would come about for the Pro 900? Also, how comfortable are the 900s and can they be driven by a portable amp and still sound very good?
The W1000X seem like a viable option as well, but the thing that might bother me is the 3 m long cable (this is probably very fixable with a termination but I would lose the wooden plug
frown.gif
). Furthermore, they look just so...delicious... I think AT got it bang on when it comes to woodies. After reading more about them, I've come to realize that they might not sound all that great with my Headsix portable amp, but I might as well hurt my wallet even more and buy a desktop amplifier.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 55

Quote:
That's a hot button issue and taking a stance on either side is going to draw some criticism, but let's just say that 320kbps mp3s are quite good. Many will argue that they can't tell the difference between 320s and FLAC (I'm among that crowd with most recordings), but others will say that they can. I have no doubt that there are a blessed few with incredible ears and high dollar systems who can, but I think most people are subject to a placebo effect - they simply think they can hear the higher quality, but a blind test would prove otherwise. All ears are unique - do some testing and see if you can really tell the difference. If not, there's nothing wrong with 320s.

Thanks for the info hazardous. I've done the test myself between FLAC and 320, and couldn't really tell the difference. At the time, I though I couldn't distinguish between the two because I blind-tested using low/med-fi headphones and a relatively cheap amplifier, but IMO more and more things are telling me that our human ears aren't acute enough to notice a difference. However, I personally have never listened to a high end audio system and done the blind-test, so my opinion on this issue is very subjective.

Quote:
The W1000X do not need amping to sound great I've briefly tested them out of my sansa clip and didn't notice any difference from my current desktop rig but that my change when my concerto and stagedac arrives >:D The Pro900's do need some juice to sound their best but they certainly aren't demanding. I find my 900's to be comfortable but YMMV. I really haven't read much about ultrasone revamping their entire line up but that would be the perfect excuse to grab a cheap pro900 just be aware they do need plenty of burn in and the kees mod to sound their best.  

That's great to know that the w1000x don't need expensive amping power to sound great. It was mentioned but not confirmed here that Ultrasone's ProLine was being revamped/refreshed.
It seems like it really is a battle between the Pro 900 and the ATH-w1000x, which are both closed, and I think the deciding factor for me would be which one has the most expansive/engaging soundstage (depth/width/3-D like). Of course, soundstage is an artificial means that headphone manufacturers use to create the "space" where the music was recorded in. I was hoping that you tisb0b could comment on which of the two headphones most accurately reproduce that "space", since you've listened to both.
Thanks

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 55
I have honestly been trying to identify and listen for a soundstage but I'll be damned if I can tell a difference.between any of my headphones as far as soundstaging goes. 

Quote:
That's great to know that the w1000x don't need expensive amping power to sound great. It was mentioned but not confirmed here that Ultrasone's ProLine was being revamped/refreshed. It seems like it really is a battle between the Pro 900 and the ATH-w1000x, which are both closed, and I think the deciding factor for me would be which one has the most expansive/engaging soundstage (depth/width/3-D like). Of course, soundstage is an artificial means that headphone manufacturers use to create the "space" where the music was recorded in. I was hoping that you tisb0b could comment on which of the two headphones most accurately reproduce that "space", since you've listened to both.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back