What headphones to buy? $800-900aud
Aug 30, 2013 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there,

I have approx $800-900 to spend on a pair of cans.
I have just come from a pair of LCD2's.

I sold these for 2 reasons.

1) People at work unhappy with noise
2) Too heavy (I have hurt my neck and I can no longer wear them, gives me neck pain and migraines)

It was almost still worth it, I actually still have the headache from my listening session 2 days ago.

The new cans dont have to be closed back, but would greatly prefer, as I can then use them on the train to commute, at work and at home.

I mainly listen to Rock/Metal, however I listen to almost all genre's on occasion.
I like bass.  I am not a bass head, but I like to be able to feel a bit of impact and texture. (Cello on the LCD for example... MMMM)

I dont want anything too bright if possible as I listen for extended periods and well coming from the LCD's I appreciate that darker tone.

My source is either a Gen 4 iMod and e12 fiio amp while moving and
Foobar to AudioGD 15.32 Amp/Dac at home/work.  This is quite a musical dac so it will take a little bit of the sparkle out of brightish headphones, but still.

I have the following short list.

Open:
HD 600
HD 650
Grado P500

Closed:
TH900 LOL for $800-900
TH600
Mad Dogs for now then Alpha Dogs once available.
D7100

I am open to other suggestions however I think most closed back headphones worth mentioning are outside my budget.

So hit me with your suggestion stick, headphones in general with a  preference for closed in aid of practicality.

Scott

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 5
I think the mad dog/Alpha dogs might work for you. you'll get the "no leakage" and it doesn't steer to far away from the sound of the LCD2.  You will also get the deep natural bass you want. They are lighter and good with most genres.  The Alpha dogs of course I'm just guessing as only a handful have actually heard them.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 5
Having the lcd2 and just having sold my mad dog, I would say the mad dogs are probably the right one for you. Similar to the lcd2 in sound, lighter more comfortable, and don't leak almost anything. I have listened to metal with them with no trouble, also the audio gd shouldn't have any trouble with them as I also have the NFB 5.2 along with my other amps.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I think the mad dog/Alpha dogs might work for you. you'll get the "no leakage" and it doesn't steer to far away from the sound of the LCD2.  You will also get the deep natural bass you want. They are lighter and good with most genres.  The Alpha dogs of course I'm just guessing as only a handful have actually heard them.

You have no idea how glad I am to hear that :p

I got impatient and order a pair of Mad Dogs with Express shipping.

I am eager to order the Alphas...
Neutral, flat response with the ability to tailor the bass.  Not to mention almost no bass roll off.

Now I wait :)

Scott

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Having the lcd2 and just having sold my mad dog, I would say the mad dogs are probably the right one for you. Similar to the lcd2 in sound, lighter more comfortable, and don't leak almost anything. I have listened to metal with them with no trouble, also the audio gd shouldn't have any trouble with them as I also have the NFB 5.2 along with my other amps.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I look forward to hearing them and ordering the alphas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back