What headphones should I get for $400USD?
Dec 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 29
You want some Stax 207's. On another note, I can't believe you bumped your own thread after 30 minutes because there wasn't someone here telling you where to spend your money. Can't you at least pretend you did some research prior to this?

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 29
I get migraines from looking at computer screens for long periods of time. It's hard for me to read.

Thank you for the advice on the headphones!

Quote:
You want some Stax 207's. On another note, I can't believe you bumped your own thread after 30 minutes because there wasn't someone here telling you where to spend your money. Can't you at least pretend you did some research prior to this?

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
I get migraines from looking at computer screens for long periods of time. It's hard for me to read.

Quote:

Perhaps you should invest that money into a better computer monitor or some glasses!

What kind of amp and source do you have? Are you looking for portable or a home rig? Prefer open or closed? Will you be sending me a cheque and/or muffins?

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 29
Denon D5000 is right on the cusp of your budget if you want full-size.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 29

I'm pretty new to full-sized headphones, so no, I current have no amp.

I'm looking for a portable rig, portable or open would be fine.

I'll bake you some muffins if you'd like but unfortunately I can't help a Leafs fan :p
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps you should invest that money into a better computer monitor or some glasses!

What kind of amp and source do you have? Are you looking for portable or a home rig? Prefer open or closed? Will you be sending me a cheque and/or muffins?

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 29
um, I should also probably add before you go taking my advice that the 207 would need a electrostatic amp as well, so don't expect to be able to plug these directly into a computer/cd player. (they use 5 pin connectors rather than conventional 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jacks.)

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 29
Ok portable changes things, I will save you sOme coin as you learn what you want, go Audio Technica M50 it will be ok from most portable sources and leave room for an amP later.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 29
Those look good.

What do you think of the Dennon AH-D7000?

Can my iPod ride those?

Quote:
Ok portable changes things, I will save you sOme coin as you learn what you want, go Audio Technica M50 it will be ok from most portable sources and leave room for an amP later.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:

There are way more requirements to portable headphones then beinhgable to drive it. The M50's are "portable" they isolate well, sound decent unamped, and do not leak much but they aren't the smallest headphones in the world.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 29
The D7000 are the nicest headphone I have owned, simply awesome! But they are not portable. The M50 are supposed to sound like the D7000 smaller brother according some head-fi members who have both. As someone has mentioned they are a bit (no way near as big as the D7000 though), so may not be best for portable use unless you don't care about appearance (I know I wouldn't).

If size is an issue you could also look at the Shure 440.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back