1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What headphones out there have a v-shaped signature, but an even better soundstage than the DT990?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by velorium, Jun 21, 2014.
  1. Velorium
    I love the v-shaped signature of the DT990 but I want more height out of the soundstage. A few weeks ago I was able to listen to the AKG K612 with an Aune T1 with the E88CC Golden Lion tube. The soundstage was great and I could actually hear sounds coming from below ear level, basically from the floor. However, the K612 is a little too analytical for my day to day listening. I plugged my 990s into the same setup and the tube amp definitely helped, but I think I found the 990s limit with regards to soundstage. Any suggestions?

2. viralcow
    Interesting, so you think the K612 has a wider soundstage than the DT990? I had the opposite impression. At least, the DT990 shouldn't have as wide of a soundstage as it does, considering its bass impact.

To answer your question, I think you'll have a hard time finding what you're looking for - in my experience the DT990 is about as good as it gets if you're looking for visceral bass + open soundstage.

3. Velorium
    The K612 definitely was opened up by the tube. We rolled about a half a dozen through the Aune that day just messing around and I really can't speak highly enough of the soundstage. In comparison, the 990s feel like a wide hemisphere dome around my head directionally. The distance of the K612 was definitely confined a bit, but it was essentially a complete astronaut helmet of sound. I'm laughing at my own descriptions here but that's the best I can describe it.