What headphones are you currently rocking?
Aug 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #301 of 1,757
I went out and tried some stuff out at Guitar Center earlier, but by true intention was to get a low-end pre-amp. Currently not listening to headphones, therefore, since the vinyl setup that needed new kit is my living-room surround-sound setup.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #302 of 1,757
Been giving mt DT1350 some love through my amp. pretty sweet set of cans.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #305 of 1,757
Sep 5, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #308 of 1,757
Grabbed the AE1 off of Ebay. Liked them but didn't use them too often. Gifted them away to a friend who's into records/vintage audio. He loves them. 

Got a sick deal on AKG K701's. Most detailed things I've ever heard. Blowing my mind. Didn't quite realize what I was getting into. Stuck using an integrated amplifier to drive them until I can buy a dedicated headphone amp/preamp. 

AKG K422. Great for portable use. Pretty low key wearing around school but sound great. Got via the Musician's Friend deal. $20 well spent. 

Grado SR60i down for modifications. Tan leather headband and G-cush pads. I think they'd make a great pair of highly functional fashion 'phones to wear around school. 

Bose AE2 still in the mix. Can wear for hours. Use for Netflix and web streaming. Going to take them on an airplane for the first time tomorrow since everything else I have is open. 

Audio Technica ATH-AD700. About to be a gift to lady friend. 

Superlux HD681. Sell? Or give to friend who wants to improve his audio at home but spends all his money on stupid craft beer... 

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #309 of 1,757
Last couple weeks it's been too hot to use a headphone that doesn't isolate very well, so I haven't had much CD900ST time. They still have dat mid range.

Seriously, I can't get over how well they do vocals. Last weekend I had the chance to put some good time on the Hifiman HE-400's and HE-500's, and they still trailed behind the CD900ST's in that regard.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #311 of 1,757
Quote:
Hey, someone else with an F1!
biggrin.gif

We are a rare species indeed. I rate it the equivalent of the HD800 when powered properly.

Only trouble is powering it.I have gone through half a dozen amps but no luck.

It just doesn,t seem to sound perfect, I mean the potential is there but it cant seem to be brought forward.

Any suggestions obob?

Edited for clarity.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #314 of 1,757
We are a rare species indeed. I rate it the equivalent of the HD800 when powered properly.

Only trouble is powering it.I have gone through half a dozen amps but no luck.

It just doesn,t seem to sound perfect, I mean the potential is there but it cant seem to be brought forward.

Any suggestions obob?

Edited for clarity.

I like them with amps that don't have an issue with their (silly) low Z and can provide appropriate current for that load. That's usually a receiver or similar - I've never been disappointed driving them with my old Yamaha, Kenwood, or JVC equipment. But with some "headphone amps" they seem a bit, I don't know, thinner? That isn't really the right word for it - they're still all there, but they aren't. I don't know about the HD 800 comparison (I have never heard the HD 800), but I think they're pretty competitive with my ESPs (they're very airy and effortless, and they do something fantastic to strings and vocals), and I liked them more than the MDR-SA5000.

Anyways, I'm listening to my new ATH-M50s/LE right now. I'm really liking these thus far - I can understand why they're so popular. :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #315 of 1,757
Ditto with the SA5000.

They sound thin because they dont get fed enough. I am thinking of building an amp good enough for them.

Dont wanna sell them because of the rarity and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back