What Headphone should I get for around ~$600??
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$600 will get you a Stax Lambda Pro and an SRM1/MK2 to amp them. It's time for you to cross over.

Yea, I have thought about going to a STAX setup but there is one big problem with that. I can't/won't wear those to work LOL. I am already dorky enough, adding big brick shaped devices to the sides of my head wont help either
tongue_smile.gif
. I need headphones for home and work and I work on computers for a living so I spend allot of time with the headphones on.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V4 Darth Beyers. That is probably what I am getting. Unless I can get the 800s lol.

I hated the DT770 pro 80 so I wont walk down the Darth Beyer path. The HD800's cost more then twice as much as I want to spend (although I would love to get a pair if they are as good as everyone lets on).

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hated the DT770 pro 80 so I wont walk down the Darth Beyer path. The HD800's cost more then twice as much as I want to spend (although I would love to get a pair if they are as good as everyone lets on).

I hate the 770 stock too.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #19 of 25
What about the Denon D5000. I have heard its sibilant, is that true? I am also afraid they will be to bassy. I am thinking about picking up a pair form HeadRoom and If I don't like them I have the 30 day return policy.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V4 Darth Beyers. That is probably what I am getting. Unless I can get the 800s lol.

let us know how the beyers sound vs stock if you get them
darthsmile.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 25
$600 is about the cost of the modified D5000 or re-cupped and cabled D2000. Yes, the MD5000 has a lot of bass, but I felt this gives body to the music and makes it enjoyable, rather than overwhelming it. They are completely polar-opposite Grados.

Back to HD600s though, they start to shine re-cabled along with a powerful amp.

Hmm, Ultrasone Pro 900s? If they fix the tonal imbalance of the ED9 they could be the go.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have around $600 to spend although $400 is held up right now in store credit
angry_face.gif
(oh well I hope to get that resolved soon enough) . I no longer have an amp or a dac but plan on picking up a new one in another month or two. What headphone I choose will determine what amp I get. I don't care if the headphones are open or closed.

My favorite artists are Nine Inch Nails, Jack Johnson, Gomez, Tool, Depeche Mode, The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, David Bowie and The Doors

I have owned quite a bit of headphones and I can eliminate some of the right up front

I owned some HD580's for about a year and really liked some of the things they did. Although in the long run the Sennheisers were just to boring/polite. I need something with a little more energy.

I have also had some Grado SR-80's SR-325's and RS2's while all of those sounded great for some music I found myself missing out on some of my favorite bands such as NIN, Depeche Mode and Tool. I also listen to music at work most of the day and found the Grado's fatiguing.

What I am looking for is something that has the bass impact of the Sennheisers but at the same time clean tight upper mids and highs that are not sibilant or fatiguing.

With some minor tweaking, I would say that our experiences with and opinions of the sennheiser-grado continuum are identical. I am also pretty sure what you are looking for now is what I was looking for before and what I have found in the D7000s. The smoothness of the Sennheisers but without the veil and with a much more impressive bass in my opinion. It can be too much for some, but it is not for me and for many others. They also are more forward and brighter but not quite to the same degree as the Grados. They are closer to the Grados than to the Senns in this department. The sound is very full-bodied, speaker like. The are nicely transparent and will show the sound signatures of your amps and sources. I have yet to find a genre, CD, artist, track that I thought the D7000s could not do very well. They are a lot of fun too. They just fit my tastes so much better than any other headphones I have heard before. They do not work out for everyone so well and they may not for you. But, from what you wrote, I think these are worth considering.

Happy hunting.

beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 25
Hum, maybe I will give the D5000 a try. If I like them, after my 30 day trial from HeadRoom, I will modify it myself. I will also take advantage of the meet I have coming up and compare the D5000's I get to the RS1's. If the RS1's completely smoke the Denon's then I will still have time to return them and refocus on the RS1's.

That is unless someone can come up with a headphone that will match my earlier specifications better the the D5000/MD5000.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 25
I much prefer the D7000 to the D5000 and MD5000. Both are good, and I would definitely prefer the MD5000 to the D5000. The D5000 bass is just not controlled well enough. It doesnt always show up, but for much of the music I liked, the D5000s faltered in the low end. The MD5000s definitely correct this and sound great, but I definitely preferred the sound signature of the D7000s. Of course, they are similar but when you are familiar with the sound of one and change to the other, the contrast is somewhat stark. Most of it will be preference; one will fit one person's tastes and the other a different persons tastes. But, I do feel there are some other qualities in which the D7000 is superior. I think the bass is more impressive in the D7000s. It is big but never boomy. It is quite controlled. The MD5000 bass is definitely controlled, but to me, it sounded damped as opposed to controlled. Also, there is less detail and texture.

I am sure many many others will disagree with me, but I had them side-by-side for three weeks and that is the impression I had.

There is a fair amount written about both. So with a little searching you can probably collect many view points for consideration.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 25
Stax SR-404, no questions asked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back