What Headphone should I get for around ~$600??
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kejar31

1000+ Head-Fier
I have around $600 to spend although $400 is held up right now in store credit
angry_face.gif
(oh well I hope to get that resolved soon enough) . I no longer have an amp or a dac but plan on picking up a new one in another month or two. What headphone I choose will determine what amp I get. I don't care if the headphones are open or closed.

My favorite artists are Nine Inch Nails, Jack Johnson, Gomez, Tool, Depeche Mode, The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, David Bowie and The Doors

I have owned quite a bit of headphones and I can eliminate some of the right up front

I owned some HD580's for about a year and really liked some of the things they did. Although in the long run the Sennheisers were just to boring/polite. I need something with a little more energy.

I have also had some Grado SR-80's SR-325's and RS2's while all of those sounded great for some music I found myself missing out on some of my favorite bands such as NIN, Depeche Mode and Tool. I also listen to music at work most of the day and found the Grado's fatiguing.

What I am looking for is something that has the bass impact of the Sennheisers but at the same time clean tight upper mids and highs that are not sibilant or fatiguing.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you simply max-out your cans, then buy and amp/dac/source upgrade?

I plan on spending the full 600 on the headphones. I will get the amp after I get the headphones with different funds.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have around $600 to spend although $400 is held up right now in store credit
angry_face.gif
(oh well I hope to get that resolved soon enough) . I no longer have an amp or a dac but plan on picking up a new one in another month or two. What headphone I choose will determine what amp I get. I don't care if the headphones are open or closed.

My favorite artists are Nine Inch Nails, Jack Johnson, Gomez, Tool, Depeche Mode, The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, David Bowie and The Doors

I have owned quite a bit of headphones and I can eliminate some of the right up front

I owned some HD580's for about a year and really liked some of the things they did. Although in the long run the Sennheisers were just to boring/polite. I need something with a little more energy.

I have also had some Grado SR-80's SR-325's and RS2's while all of those sounded great for some music I found myself missing out on some of my favorite bands such as NIN, Depeche Mode and Tool. I also listen to music at work most of the day and found the Grado's fatiguing.

What I am looking for is something that has the bass impact of the Sennheisers but at the same time clean tight upper mids and highs that are not sibilant or fatiguing.

Heh nice... well i wish you lots of luck in finding a pair. Just noticed that we have some quite similar favourite artists. Depeche Mode is quite awesome

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We are looking for the same exact thing and feel the same about those headphones you listed down. My next venture is the audio technica ad900. Depeche Mode for example sounds great on the ad700 but lacks impact and i am hoping the ad900 cures this.

For more bass while having the characteristics you describe, I would try the the esw10jpn or an MD2000 with wood cups. I am trying those after the ad900s. Just leaving the closed cans last cause i got the feeling no matter what people say that they will still sound... for lack of a better word... CLOSED

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 25
If you have a big head like me, the ad2000s are not that great sounding. The top end highs arent there and the mids sound cupped and are too strong in volume compared to the other frequencies. I hear stretching the headband makes them open up in sound but I was too afraid to mess up my ad2ks

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 25
If someone gave me $600 that had to be spent on headphones, I'd buy an AD900 and HD600 to compare to my AD700 and K701, and determine which of the four headphones I liked most.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
used rs1. Hands down.

Yea I tried to buy some but the sale got held up (long story)

Anyways I am also worried that if they sound anything like the RS2 I wont like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a big head like me, the ad2000s are not that great sounding. The top end highs arent there and the mids sound cupped and are too strong in volume compared to the other frequencies. I hear stretching the headband makes them open up in sound but I was too afraid to mess up my ad2ks

Thanks for the heads up because I have a huge head.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 25
They don't sound like the rs-2. Not IMO, anyway. You might want to check them out. Are you coming to the mid illinois meet next saturday? I am bringing my rs-1s and you can have a listen there.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone gave me $600 that had to be spent on headphones, I'd buy an AD900 and HD600 to compare to my AD700 and K701, and determine which of the four headphones I liked most.

The HD600, AD700 and K701 are all headphone that don't present the sound quality I am looking for.

I already explained what I didn't like about the Sens

The AD700 and K701 will not have the bass I am looking for (I'm not looking for a ton of base jsut as much as the HD600's)

IDK about the AD900's though I will look into them.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't sound like the rs-2. Not IMO, anyway. You might want to check them out. Are you coming to the mid illinois meet next saturday? I am bringing my rs-1s and you can have a listen there.

Yea I will be there. In fact Steve from Decware is sending me some of his equipment (the ZenHead and hopefully the CSP2) to bring as well.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 25
V4 Darth Beyers. That is probably what I am getting. Unless I can get the 800s lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back