What have you been listening to?
Oct 2, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #76 of 90
Over the last few days.

KEITH WHITLEY - Wherever You Are Tonight on my PCDP

ANDROID LUST - Resolution whilst out Cycling

Arthur Lee and LOVE - Forever Changes. Right at this very moment as I type.

Oct 13, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #77 of 90
Pole, 90/90 -- a single, my first introduction to them. Not impressed.

Venetian Snares frenzy: printf("shiver in eternal darkness/n"); (still my favourite), Doll Doll Doll (my second favourite), Find Candace (starts with a remix of "Befriend a Child Killer", so not sure if this is a "real" album) and Winter in the Belly of a Snake

LFO, Sheath

Gwei-lo -- kind of Tortoise-y/Mogwai-y

Anders Johansson, Jens Johansson and Allan Holdsworth, Heavy Machinery -- excellent electric fusion, highly recommended.

Yes, Relayer, Tales from Topographic Oceans and Going for the One, both HDCD versions, and the more recent remasters by Rhino -- getting familiar with both, in preparation of doing a head-to-head comparison. They are different (besides the bonus tracks).

Peter Gabriel, Up and Long Walk Home -- I was talking about these with my sister, so I had to play them.

Disco Inferno, D.I. Go Pop -- weird. Would like to hear them before they went pop.

Melissa Etheridge, (---), Deluxe Edition -- great, of course.

Placebo, Sleeping with Ghosts, Special Edition with bonus disc of covers ("Johnny and Mary", "I Feel You", "Big Mouth Strikes Again", etc.) Some nice choices, but you're only going to like the covers if you like Placebo, they don't do anything as inventive as, say, Notwist covering "Johnny and Mary"

Prids, Love Zero and Glide Screamer -- I like the EP better, sounds a little like New Order.

Cretu and Thiers, Belle Epoque -- very 80's. Sounds a lot like Mike & the Mechanics.

Type O Negative, Life is Killing Me -- not exactly his best record.

Rob Zombie, Past, Present & Future -- see separate Rob Zombie thread started by DarkAngel.

Zentriert ins Antlitz, Genozid -- instrumental industrial! A first, as far as I know.

Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man, Out of Season -- beautiful, I think I listened to this like a thousand times. Very patient, delicate, with lots of interesting production. And one huge climax in "Funny Time of Year". Just came out domestically, go out and get it if you don't already have it. See my comments elsewhere.

Android Lust, The Dividing -- I loaded this at night, then started it the next morning. Forgot what it was, just enjoyed it. Very cool hard electro/industrial w/femme vocals. Didn't notice the loopiness that I did on previous listens. Very, very enjoyable.

A Perfect Circle, Thirteenth Step -- not my favourite, but very good.

Notwist, 12, Shrink, and Neon Golden -- these guys are so great, I'm going to go back and get their first two albums. Also, the single of "Pick Up The Phone" with a fantastic video. Very inventive. The art of the video is not dead.

Various:

Dr. Speedlove Presents Vol. 2 -- lot of remixes of Invisible Records artists

An Industrial Tribute to Ministry -- this is surprisingly good, although I'm disappointed that someone already covered the one track I intended to cover ("Angel"), and that no-one covered anything from the first album in the "Land/Mind" style ("Work For Love", "Effigy"). Still enjoyable. The originals are still better. I forgot how much I liked "So What".

Sonics Everywhere -- dark minimal techno, don't know how else to describe it. If you're familiar with Possible, then you know what you're getting into. Maybe a little bit Tresor, yet noisier. Maybe "minimal" is the wrong term...

(Felix Da Housecat), Kittenz and Thee Glitz -- (FDH is a DJ, so this is one of those "mix" discs). Very electroclash.

Location is Everything Vol. 1 -- got this for the Girls Against Boys exclusive track.

Classical:

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition on Naxos, w/two versions of "Night on Bare Mountain" and a beautiful little piece from the opera Khovanshchina called "Golitsin's Exile"

Also, another version by the Fine Arts Brass Ensemble -- a "horny" version

Also, the SACD version by Gergiev, which is good.

Grieg, Peer Gynt (Neville Marriner on EMI Classics) -- might be one of my favourite versions of this great almost-opera. (This is the incidental music version with singing, not the two orchestral suites version without singing.)

Schubert, the two piano trios by Voces Intimae

Schubert, 2nd Piano Trio in E-flat and Beethoven, 1st Piano Trio in E-flat, Pablo Casals on Cello version.

Dvorak, Symphony No. 9 -- several versions, my Gold Edition 2 by Ancerl on Supraphon is my favourite so far. (Also listened to a version on Harmonia Mundi, an organ version, a cheapy live version also by Ancerl.)

Westminster Bell Choir -- some really beautifully recorded bells and organ

Astor Piazzolla & Jose' Angel Trelles Collection No. 6 -- I like non-vocal stuff better, so the last three tracks are my favourites. Will have to look up the rest of the collection, though, still enjoyable.

Oct 13, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #78 of 90
Hey I was in my trusty music store today and they were playing that Placebo Sleeping With Ghosts special Ed. Since I already own the regular Sleeping With Ghosts, I couldn't justify getting this special edition, but it was nice to listen to (the covers)

OK well lately I have been listening to:

Yo La Tengo - And I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One Wheee it's great!
The Rapture - Echoes Utterly brilliant, kinda a mix between The Cure and The Music, "Dance/punk" as described by pitchfork, and as I do not entirely disagree with this description I will quote it.
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Very nice to listen to while the sun is setting
Cornelius - Point Fun and tasty
Dizee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner This one had a lot of good word of mouth going behind so I had to get it. Garage rap from the UK, a la The Streets, though to me, not as immediately accessable. Gotta give a few more spins to give better judgement.

Oct 14, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #79 of 90
Black Label Society- The Blessed Hellride.

Seems like typical nu-metal to me. The singer sounds the same as the guy from Godsmack, Nickleback etc.
The music is okay, nothing really grabbed me, and nothing really annoyed me either. A couple of slow songs in there.

I guess it just didn't make much of an impression on me.

I am glad it is a borrowed CD as I would be P.O.d if I had paid money for it.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #81 of 90
I just discovered E.S. Posthumus and have fallen in love with their "Unearthed" album.  I actually have it playing now.  Also Ludovico Einaudi's "Una Mattina" and have been playing Rittz's "Next to Nothing" since that was released.

Not sure my current listening choices could be any more different.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #82 of 90
If any of you really like E.S. Then go check out the latest thread for John Kimblers new album The Last War it is a beautiful orchestral soundscape concept album targeted at HiFi lovers and this album sounds GREAT running through my sennheiser hd or vmodas,just about any hifi headphone will really shine with this album its truely a masterpiece !!!!
The link to sample it is cdbaby.com/johnkimbler

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #85 of 90
I have been dreaming about this moment for so long.

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=2c2_1427996287

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #87 of 90
I've been listening to Elton John's Captain Fantastic and Brown Dirt Cowboy.
For so long, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was my favourite but ever since I discovered the track "Curtains," I cannot stop listening to it. 

Another song I've been spamming a lot of Deep Purple's "April".
This song is just so epic.

If people have not heard "Curtains", definitely check it out.
The drum in the outro sounds phenomenal with a good pair of headphones.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #88 of 90
Just finished listening to a couple albums:

2014 Forest Hills Drive by J. Cole (fav. Wet Dreamz, Apparently)
Adventure by Madeon (fav. Innocence,  Home)
Holy Fire by Foals (fav. My Number)
You Haunt Me by Sir Sly (fav. Inferno)
IV by Bravestation (fav. Ancient Kids)

Liked all of these with the exception of 2014 Forest Hills Drive where I didn't like a lot of songs.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #90 of 90
I would say.... 

-Major Parkinson (Twilight Cinema and their title album)
-Swans (Children of God)
-Tobacco (Ultima 2 Massage) 
And...Shoot! I still need to pick up that new Bjork album!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back