What have you been listening to?
Jul 9, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #46 of 90
Kruder & Dorfmeister - K&D Sessions
Gladiator soundtrack
Faithless - Outrospective
Ishq - Orchid
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia

Jul 9, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #47 of 90
[edit] I didn't read the whole post commenting on rating and describing in detail about my recordings. So here goes:

Ratings are from 1 to 4. 1 is poor, 2 is ok, 3 is very good, and 4 is superb.

1. Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Max Bruch, Pinkas Zuchermann as solo violinist [Currently in CD player]

Very good recording of the famous Bruch violin concerto. I do not know much about it because it was a gift from my violin teacher and is a burned CD so you'll have to do some scouting to find it. I think it has good separation of instruments. First violinists are way to the left and Cello is way to the right. My amp gives it that vast deep rich sound that I like from symphonies.

3/4 (4/4 for classical music lovers).

2. Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

A really cool and well-known funky rock recording from I think 1995 or so. Really groovy, this album explodes with violent emotion and lyrics throughout. Explosive from start to end. Really great rock music and it's decently recorded. No glaring flaws.

3/4.

3. Trance All-Stars - five-artist, 2 CD compilation

This is one great trance mix. Contains origionals by such greats as Schiller, ATB, and the like. Lots of the songs on this are mundane and a bit to rave-y for me (repetitive bass and that's about it). I really enjoy this 2 CD set now and then.

2/4.

4. B.B King - Blues on the Bayou

Hey, what can I say? This guy is a legend and this album is great! I listened start to finish without a second thought.

3/4

5. Tool - Lateralus

Cool band, unique ideas presented through a really different look at rock in general. Their latest album lacks some of the unrefined raw energy of their earlier work but opens new doors melodically speaking for Tool. Tool is not for everyone; many find this album boring and repetitive which in my opinion it is definitely not.

3/4

6. Mark 'O Connor - Legends

If you want to hear a violin fusion duet, check this out. It's the famous violinist at his best.

4/4 *top pick*

Listened to these pretty much straight through today. I have done limited listening during the past week (lots of LAN parties though). Today was a serious listening day.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:13 AM Post #49 of 90
I have been listenning to Schubert Piano Trio Op.100 for the last few days. All four movements are great! It was also mentioned by another forum member just a few days ago. I think after this, I will listen to Brahm's 3rd symphony, I have promised myself to do so.

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #50 of 90
Maybe this isn't something that a "decent head-fier" should listen to, but I can't stop listening "Darude - Rush"-CD... the CD has been under heavy usage for a couple of weeks now.

For those who don't know who Darude is: he is a Finnish dude, who's probably known best from his single "Sandstorm" outside Finland and "Rush" is his new album.

Jul 12, 2003 at 12:40 PM Post #51 of 90
The Roling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (1986)
Chicago Greatest Hits (Chicago IX) (1975)
Best of George Benson: The Instrumentals (1996)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Déjà Vu (1970)
The Who, Who's Next (1971)

edit: added to list

Jul 13, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #52 of 90
I'm on to Inner Circle both before and after Jacob's death, just skipping around, not any particular album. I'm waiting for A New Chapter in Dub to get here
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Then it'll be back to Aswad!

Jul 16, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 90
Stuff I've been listening to lately: ie stuff I've bought in the last couple of weeks

Radiohead - OK Compter: Just amazing. My favorite Radiohead. I've known the album forever and I just now finally purchased it.

Amélie OST by Yann Tiersen: Truly unique and very very fitting soundtrack. Track 4 ( Compte d'une autre été: l'après midi ) has to be one of the most beautiful piano pieces I've ever heard.

John Coltrane - Blue Train: I can't stop listening. Really. I have A Love Supreme, but I never really managed to get into it. Blue Train seems more accessible to me somehow. I gave ALS another few spins recently and found I enjoy it more now after having listened to BT.

Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits: Half the tracks in this album are from Time Out which is most excellent, and all of the rest never miss either. I think I'm going to use this a way of exploring other Brubeck albums.

Queen Greatest Hits: Enjoyable for me as a non hardcore Queen fan, just someone who likes their greatest hits. Somehow, this CD is missing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool: For some reason I just cannot get into this album at all. I think it may have something to do with the nonet... I think I'm very partial to smaller jazz bands... ie quintet or smaller.

Stan Getza and the Oscar Peterson Trio: I can't wait to give this a good listen. I haven't really had time for it yet. Should I expect good things?

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #55 of 90
Will put mine up for the last several weeks later, just wanted to post a few comments:
LOTW: several -- De-Loused in the Comatorium being one of them. Good call, Chris. Got several more Venetian Snares -- Find Candace and Winter in the Belly of a Snake. printf... continues to be my favourite.
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
I didn't read the whole post commenting on rating and describing in detail about my recordings.

The short answer is: you can do anything. You can skip rating them entirely, you can rate them on some standard rating system (1-10, up to 5 stars, etc.), or you can make up your own. Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
I have been listenning to Schubert Piano Trio Op.100 for the last few days. All four movements are great! It was also mentioned by another forum member just a few days ago.

I talk about this one all the time, so it is probably me. Completely under-rated.

Jul 28, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Will put mine up for the last several weeks later, just wanted to post a few comments:
LOTW: several -- De-Loused in the Comatorium being one of them. Good call, Chris. Got several more Venetian Snares -- Find Candace and Winter in the Belly of a Snake. printf... continues to be my favourite.

Glad you liked Volta, Dusty. As for Snares, make SURE to get "Doll Doll Doll"; that's his masterpiece by far, in my opinion. His other albums on Planet Mu (the glue one and the numbers one) are also excellent, though not as thematically coherent as DDD.

(edit: Oh, and Dusty [or anyone], if you're fond of Venetian Snares, do yourself a favor and check out Doormouse. Especially his latest album "Freaked Out Mess" -- which will soon be re-released on Tigerbeat6 as a double CD with a DJ mix he did. Highly recommended.)

As for me, I've been listening to tons of hardcore techno lately. Dunno why. I guess the raver in me is crying for attention. I'm sure it'll pass eventually...

- Chris

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #58 of 90
Klaus Schulze, Live @ Klangart (1 & 2) -- if you're familiar with this guy, you know what to expect. I, however, can never have enough.

Chris Meloche, Wireless -- not the best by him, but still good.

Venetian Snares + Speedranch, Making Orange Things -- noise.
Venetian Snares, Winter in the Belly of a Snake -- this is deep, for glitch. It's going to require repeated listenings, I can hear it now.
Also, Find Candace

Sealey/Oddie/Spybey -- very cool abstract ambient collage stuff.

Girl Eats Boy, Thrilled by Velocity & Distortion -- a bit teutonic/Detroit techno (whatever that means).

Kmputor, Implant -- not to be confused with Komputor, this is also a bit teutonic.

Firewater, The Man on the Burning Tightrope -- I read a review that described this as "...wanting to be Swordfishtrombones." I don't hear it, but I'm not a big Tom Waits fan. I do hear the Tom Waits comparison, though.

Devin Townsend, Infinity -- his "happiest" album.

Razed In Black, ...damaged -- nice variety for the genre, which is beginning to become a bit generic, what with the glut that Cleopatra laid upon us several years ago. I predict this band will "survive" (along with Cruxshadows).

HIM, Love Metal -- not their best album.
Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 -- one of my favourite albums by them, purely on guitar tones.
Also listened to the Sacrament single and Razorblade Romance

ohGr, SynnPsyOp -- (great pun on the title, BTW. "sunny side up", anyone?) I wasn't even sure Mark Walk was on this album, I had to double-check the credits. Gets better with every listen.

cEvin Key/Ken Hiwatt Marshall, The Dragon Experience -- sounds like instrumental early Skinny Puppy, with some weird stuff thrown in to keep things interesting instead of Ogre's vocals. Very cool, melikes.

Merzbow/Pan Sonic/V -- not sure what this is called. Very good, though.

Skepticism, The Process of Farmakon -- simple little 2-3 song EP, will pursure this band further. (See "Darkest Desires II" thread.)

v/a, Synthetic Broadway -- synth-pop bands, some obscure, cover show tunes. Familiar tracks like "The Impossible Dream" and "Walking In Space"/"Flesh Failures" (aka "Let The Sunshine In") get discofied. Great fun. Ends with the penultimately Muzak-y "Theme from A Summer Place".

Classic FM Discovery Guide: Opera -- meh, I still don't like Opera. Too much. This was tolerable, but I'm not about to become a big afficianado.

Assemblage, Vol. Two -- all over the place, but the good tracks are real good. This is from the Extreme label, usually famous for their ambient/sound collage artists, and this one includes dub, amongst things usually from their stable of artists, just to give you an idea.

Guitar Zone -- some way cool shredders. Andy Summers pulls off a surf tune, Buckethead, Gary Moore, Pat Metheny, et al.

Selected Vibes, Part 1 -- shrug. Good, I guess, I haven't been doing too badly in the arena of various artists electronica compilations, lately, so the competition is fierce, and I don't have the memory nor the attention span to tell you how they all differ.

King Crimson, Larks' Tongues in Aspic -- because I had to.

Antimatter, Lights Out -- very cool. I think I like the fidelity on this one better, but the music on the first one better. Not sure, will have to listen to them back to back.

Sigur Ros (sic), DVD/single thingy. The new track isn't exactly fantastic, not like some of the tracks on the last album, however it's still worth getting if you're a completist, like me (though I still haven't gotten the first album), plus it's got all the videos on the DVD part. If you're not into videos (and I'm usually not, but I'm into these), then just get the little 3" jobby.

godhead, Evolver -- still good, I still like their earlier, with-The-Method stuff the best (Nothingness and Power Tool Stigmata). It's certainly better than 2000 Years of Human Error.

Naglfar, Sheol -- blasting heaviness. Sort of The Crown meets Dimmu Borgir?

Steve Hackett, To Watch The Storm -- great for the proggers. Nice variety. Some interesting Pro-Tools modern-ness combined with classic 70's proggy-ness. It was LOTW one of the last few weeks.

Lacrimas Profundere -- really digging these guys. Gothic melodic metal. Memorandum is probably their least good -- rather cliche'-ridden, but still enjoyable. Burning: A Wish and Fall, I Will Follow are both highly recommended.

Redeye, Arizona Tracks...hmmm...don't remember. Fax, if that tells you anything (which, lately, it doesn't necessarily).

The Rip Off Artist, In Through The Out Door -- more wacky glitchy weirdness from the master.

Mike Oldfield, The Killing Fields -- I should probably add this to my top 3-5 soundtracks ever.

Sonna, Kept Luminesce/Mirameko -- should have been flavour of the week amongst the indie hipsters recently, but I have a feeling there aren't enough weeks for every single different flavour of the week, so a few get lost through the cracks. I will be pursuing other albums by this artist.

John Foxx, Cathedral Oceans -- if you like things like Lisa Gerrard's Whalerider soundtrack, definitely get this -- much better example of that beatless, amorphous, ambient style of music, IMHO.

Christopher Franke, Babylon 5, Vol. 2: Messages from Earth -- another great scorer.

Haujobb, Vertical Theory -- LOTW! Great stuff. Could put electro-industrial back on the map, if life was fair. It's going to be one of my favourite releases of this year, I can tell already.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, Soundtrack from the Original Motion Picture -- probably my favourite recording by Ryuichi Sakamoto, culminating with the David Sylvian collaboration, "Forbidden Colours".

Bill Withers, Live at Carnegie Hall -- I can see why this is at the forefront of Tuberoller's mind, what with the parallels between the time when this was recorded, and now. Tough act to follow.

Auditory Sculpture, Merge -- why aren't these guys bigger? Techno/electronica/whatever you want to call it (not House, though).

Lisa Carbon, Standards -- :)

Lights of Euphoria, Blood Brothers -- I thought these guys were instrumental, what are all those vocals doing in there? I really like it, almost EBM. I'll have to see if these guys did anything else like this.

Lustmord, Zoetrope -- great dark ambient.

Android Lust, The Dividing -- Projekt's "big" "mysterious" signing. Who? Well, she's a chick, you see, and she does all her own music...and it shows. Personally, I kind of like it, it just sounds a little "home-made" for a "big" signing. PS Doesn't sound anything like a typical Projekt recording -- lots of energy, it actually "rawks" throughout, EBM-y.

Lamb of God, As The Palaces Burn -- kind of Opeth meets Dimmu Borgir? Highly recommended to fans of either. LOTW at one point.

Mogwai, Happy Songs for Happy People -- stupid title for a good record, more like it. Without listening to the others, this may be my favourite album by them. "Fear Satan" is still their best song, though.

Skeleton Key, Obtainium -- funk metal (well, hard rock, anyway). Fun, in a nu-metal-no-it's-not kind of way.

Voyager One, From The New Nation of Long Shadows -- contemporary indie shoegazer. Worth it for the cover of "Daytripper" alone (which they slow down to half...no, quarter speed, and give it a totally ludes-and-psychedelics feel).

Panic Strikes A Chord, I Can See Electricity at the Proper Distance -- great title, doesn't quite live up to it. They're spending too much time being clever, not enough time being interesting. Still recommended.

Thighpaulsandra, I, Thighpaulsandra -- very cool. All over the place. RIYL World Serpent, etc.
Also, the Some Head EP.

Zoar, Clouds without Water -- lots of guest vocalists, which is an interesting change of pace. I like their first album a lot, and I have a feeling this project could have worked better if it wasn't the "difficult sophomore" album. That second album is just really hard to right something that's as good as the first, yet being different enough to be worth it to the people who don't want to hear something that's been done before.

Soft Cell, The Twelve Inch Singles -- you know what this sounds like, if you're as old as I am.

Ilya, Poise is the Greater Architect -- kind of Sade meets Portishead. Very cool, melikes.

Passenger -- very cool! Metal with keyboards! Finally!

Plumb, Beatiful Lumps of Coal -- a little too croony, and she's not up to par with recent excellent croony albums by Annie Lennox and Alison Moyet.

Out of Phase, Machine Head 2001 -- he strikes again. The only track really worth the price of entry is his cover of "Smoke On The Water", which he somehow makes like sprockets.

Anymore, Umani -- earlier band from the members of Halou. Adds guitar, takes away originality, but still a very excellent example of the genre -- shoegazer with guitars and electronics.

Halou, We Only Love You -- excellent! In some ways, I like it better than Wiser -- it's edgier, more psychedelic, more "indie". The first track is downright hard. Several of the tracks were re-recorded for Wiser, but in at least one case ("I'll Carry You"), this one "makes more sense", if that makes any sense.

Manual, Ascend -- I'm just going to have to pick up everything on the Morr Music label.

Led Zeppelin, How The West Was Won -- overhyped.

Kraftwerk, Tour De France 03 -- had to get it. Not as good as "classic" Kraftwerk, but neither was that Expo thing.

Third Eye Foundation, In Version -- excellent! I now have all of his "important" releases. Anyone into D&B, clever electronica, ambient, whatever, should get this. Or at least something by this guy (Matt Elliott). Anyone already into this guy should definitely track down this single. ****! Just did a search and somewhere along the line, Matt Elliott released an album as Matt Elliott, and I forgot that that's the name of the guy behind Third Eye Foundation. Just got bumped to the top of my wishlist. Boy, I sure do have a lot of things up there.

Pale Saints, The Comforts of Madness -- been having trouble finding anything by these guys, ever since a friend recommended them to me. It's okay, but nothing like some of the best albums of the genre.

Spock's Beard, Feel Euphoria -- great! Second only to Snow.

Elliott, U.S. Songs -- what I like about these guys is that every album sounds different. Song in the Air is still my favourite, but False Cathedrals was a "grower", a "slow burn" as it were, so I have a feeling this one will take several listens before I reach its full depth.

Versus, Shangri-La EP -- bunch of covers of different songs called "Shangri-La" (and one original, also called "Shangri-La", the only one with which I'm familiar is the one by ELO. What next, "Xanadu" (Rush, Jeff Lynne, Versus)?

David Bowie, Aladdin Sane remaster, book version -- pretty cool. Didn't realize how un-familiar I am with this as an album.

Mars Volta, Tremulant EP and De-Loused in the Comatorium -- LOTW, definitely! Very cool stuff, recommended to anyone who likes to rock hard, interspersed with great stretches of weirdness. Hooky as all get-out, too.

Newt, 37 degrees Celsius -- sounds cold, doesn't it? It's not. EBM. Good.

Natalie Imbruglia, Beauty on the Fire -- I got this one for the cover. No, I'm serious:

beautyonthefire.jpg

The music's actually pretty good, too.

Saga, Money Talks/Don't Give Up single.

Disco Inferno, D.I. Go Pop -- weird. I'd like to hear more by them. Strange use of samplers in an "indie" band.

Shalabi Effect -- very cool. Total space out from a distant relative of GYBE.

Frankie Sparo, Welcome Crummy Mystics -- vocal music from another distant relative.

Set Fire To Flames, Telgraphs in Negative/Mouths Trapped in Static -- yet another distant relative.

Karate, The Bed is in the Ocean -- pretty cool, but it's more "indie" than shoegazer. I'll be checking them out further.

Aug 4, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #59 of 90
Hot damn, Dusty ... that's a lot of music. And a lot of variation. Nice
cool.gif

But you STILL ... STILL .. haven't purchased Doll Doll Doll. Do I have to send you a CDR copy?
tongue.gif
(I will if you really want me to
tongue.gif
)

- Chris

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
But you STILL ... STILL .. haven't purchased Doll Doll Doll.

Do you want to know something funny? As computer literate and internet savvy that I am (and I do consider myself comp-lit and int-sav), I still like to shop in local stores. (Yes, I have actually found those four releases in real, walk-in, usually-incompetent-help stores.)

No worries, I will get it eventually, even if I have to order it online, thanks for the offer, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back