What have you been listening to?
May 12, 2003 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Sort of a compliment to the "What Are You Listening To RIGHT NOW?" thread for those who feel kind of weird posting something new every time they change, I submit to you the following recommendation:

Post a list of what you've been listening to for the past week or so. Optional extra credit: try describing it. Even more optional extra credit: rate it.

I'll start:

Lots of Kraftwerk: the Tone Float album (originally recorded as The Organisation); 1, 2, Ralf & Florian, Autobahn, Radioactivity, The Man Machine, Trans-Europe Express

Sunn O))) - White 1 -- KR's right, these begin to drag just a little bit after three albums. Maybe I'll listen later when I miss this "sound".

Mentioned in scrypt's thread:

Autechre, Draft 7.30
Blue Man Group, The Complex
Phaser, Sway
Justin Sullivan, Navigating by the Stars

And NP:

Aphex Twin, 26 Mixes for Cash -- kind of teutonic.

Those are all I remember for right now.

So, what have you been listening to?

Jun 7, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 90
Just this past week ive started really enjoying radio, i liked them before but was NEVER in the mood for them.
Ben Folds live is an incredible cd that im listening to alot, Bandages by hot hot heat is one of the top rock songs in recent history (too bad their other stuff isnt nearly as good)
also the usuals DMB, NERD, Tenacious D

Jun 7, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 90
I've been listening a lot to Edward McDowell's piano sonatas. This is big-boned romantic stuff: kind of like a cross between Brahms and Rachmaninoff. I recommend it highly! It even sounds good on a pcdp and ksc-35s with all the big bass lines, chords and arpeggios.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 90
Right now I'm listening to:

Bumblefoot: Forgotten Anthology
It is hard to describe this music, but I'll try - a mix of alternative metal, funk, traditional rock, funk, rap (often in the same song) with the guitar virtuosity of Steve Vai/Jeff Beck, the humor and complex arrangements of Frank Zappa, and the vocal abilities and versatility of Mike Patton.

Freak Kitchen: Move
Same as above except no rap and great straightforward vocals.

Craig Erickson Project: Shine
Heavy blues based guitar with hints of Hendrix, Trower, and Frank Marino with the great vocalist Rob Lamothe guesting on six songs.

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 90
Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Vrioon: glitchy piano ambience. Sort of like Brian Eno or Harold Budd with glitches. It's very good and memorable. I've listened to it at least 12 times in the past week.

Elysian Fields - The Dreams That Breath Your Name: I've been listening to the promo for their new (not yet released) cd. The first few songs might sound a little more pop than their previous work, but track 4 introduces a tabla which is really cool. It's still overall gloomy and loungey rock as usual, with very sexy vocals. This is Jennifer Charles' band, the girl who did vocals with Mike Patton in Lovage.

Pharoah Sanders & Graham Haynes - With A Heartbeat: new cd from Pharoah Sanders. It's jazz/world fusion, (literally) with a heartbeat. Bill Laswell plays bass and also produced this. Highly recommended to fans of Pharoah Sanders or Bill Laswell's usual world fusion stuff. The heartbeat adds a nice touch to it.

Pain Of Salvation: I personally just discovered this group recently. I'm a fan of progressive rock, but I don't like many progressive metal groups because of their cheesy vocals (I'm looking at YOU, Dream Theater). I like this group because of the wide range of vocals, and of course great musicianship. They remind me of Faith No More and Queensrÿche at times, but definitely have their own sound.

Tosca - Dehli9: recent cd from Richard Dorfmeister. It's the usual ambient dub/chillout/trip-hop stuff, just a little more upbeat than usual, and with some guest vocalists. It's hard to choose favorites, but I at least like it as much as Suzuki, maybe more. I just ordered Richard Dorfmeister's new mix cd, I hope that's as good as this.

Camel: I bought their live dvd, Coming Of Age recently. I haven't had time to watch the whole thing at once yet, just a few songs at a time. I like anything Camel, so it goes without saying that I'm happy with this dvd.

Jun 7, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 90
Zero 7 - Simple Things
Just discovered these guys last month and really enjoy their work. Really mello triphop type music, very relaxing.

Mark Knopfler - Ragpicker's Dream
What can I say...its Mark Knopfler! IMHO, this has to be one of his best solo works so far. This guy is most certainly in touch with his roots, and it reverberates through his music.

Electric Light Orchestra - Greatest Hits Remastered
I had to buy this one because they bring back a lot of memories...my first concert..my first taste of herb
cool.gif
I aleays liked the mix of instruments, and the classical infusion. Jeff Lynne is a very talented guy, but their later stuff went a little too far to the pop side for me

Pink Floyd - DSOTM
I had to get the SACD disk and I'm glad I did. On the Run is awsome!

Coyote Oldman - In Beauty I Walk
Surreal Native American flute work. Both spiritual and haunting.

Dido - No Angel
IMO, one of the best female vocalists around. She definately has a sound of her own, and extremely easy on the eyes
wink.gif
I love her style, and anxiously awaiting her new release due out this fall. When I listen to this CD, I'm transported to a different world.

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by tehpressman
Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Vrioon: glitchy piano ambience. Sort of like Brian Eno or Harold Budd with glitches. It's very good and memorable. I've listened to it at least 12 times in the past week.

Tosca - Dehli9: recent cd from Richard Dorfmeister. It's the usual ambient dub/chillout/trip-hop stuff, just a little more upbeat than usual, and with some guest vocalists. It's hard to choose favorites, but I at least like it as much as Suzuki, maybe more. I just ordered Richard Dorfmeister's new mix cd, I hope that's as good as this.

Have you tried other Sakamot stuff? like 1996?

And ditto on Tosca Dehli9

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 90
9.0 Hall and Oates - Big Bam Boom
8.5 Annie Lennox – Diva
8.0 Skid Row – Skid Row
8.0 UB 40 – Labour Of Love
9.0 Prince – 1999
8.5 Dave Mathews Band – Under The Table And Dreaming
9.0 Crash Test Dummies – God Shuffled His Feet
8.0 Korn – Follow The Leader
9.0 Slaughter – Stick It To Ya
9.0 Janet Jackson – Rhythm Nation 1814 is what I am listening to right now.

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 90
Quote:

Crash Test Dummies – God Shuffled His Feet

This is a great CD. Love Brad Roberts voice. I really like it when someone different comes along, and puts a new twist on presentation. That is what music is all about....personal interpretation and the ability to use that talent to reach out to people. The CTD are just one of those bands that really clicked with me

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Have you tried other Sakamot stuff? like 1996?

The only other one I've heard is Discord, but I didn't like it that much. I'll probably look into some of his other work since I liked Vrioon so much.

Jun 7, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by tehpressman
The only other one I've heard is Discord, but I didn't like it that much. I'll probably look into some of his other work since I liked Vrioon so much.

Sakamoto's work varies a lot from album to album.

I didn't very much care for 'discord' either.

This is a sureal sort of simple trio: piano, violin and bass. Japanese import HDCD version also available, too.

Jun 7, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 90
Coldplay

The Notwist

.... lots of this minimal pop-rock stuff as of late.

Jun 7, 2003 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 90
Porcupine Tree - why, I don't know. They're great, but they're not the kind of stuff I usually listen to. Progressive rock, but with enough electronic and experimental flair to make them really interesting. "Signify" is absolutely an incredible album.

Radioactive Man - Radioactive Man is Keith Tenniswood, also known as half of the Two Lone Swordsmen. Awesome bumping electro that makes you get down and jiggity.

Various - Ikebana (Merzbow's Amlux Rebuilt Reused and Recycled) - an incredible compilation, this. This isn't a "remix" album per se; rather, it's a bunch of artists getting together and making music the way they would normally make it.... from Merzbow samples. Almost all of the tracks are outstanding and it offers a great range of genres: Plug's ragga jungle to Bola's noisy IDM to Cornelius' ambience to Lasse Marhaug's brutal noise. Very great stuff.

Tons of bad gabber - I am such a sucker for ****ty tongue-in-cheek gabber. Knifehandchop and various guys on Planet Mu have me wrapped around their finger. I eagerly await Delta 9's "Revolution 909" to arrive in the mail...

Breakcore DJ mixes - I also love breakcore and noisy, harsh drum'n'bass, but I often find it sounds best in a "mix-disc" situation. That way, you get a lot of good tracks strung together so it won't get boring. If anyone actually cares about this, they can PM me for more details.

I haven't been listening to "Vrioon" recently, but I will definitely second the recommendation. It's a brilliant, beautiful album. Alva Noto's wonderful glitchy rhythmic clicks are accented perfectly by Sakamoto's stark piano playing. Another plus: the bass notes on this album go SO FRIGGING LOW it's perfect to test bass response on headphones.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back