What happened to the DVD963SA thread?
Jan 27, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #46 of 73
<<< am not a fan of the noisey transport and some chassis work is a must.When the player is placed on a solid surface the rotation of the disc and movement of the laser can be felt through the surface as vibrations.These types of damping problems are usually bi-directional,which means vibrations are likely just as easliy transferred back to the player.>>>

Tuberoller, what do you suggest one do to overcome this issue? Have you found a solution yet? If nothing else, I was thinking of possibly getting a good quality foam pad to isolate between the surface where I will place it, and the unit itself.

JC

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #47 of 73
I have the cover off my player right now and I'm gonna add some Dynamat material to the inside cover.I will also place the place on an dampner platform to see if this helps.I'll keep you guys posted and take some pics of the results.

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #48 of 73
Just read something from the folks at VPI about a cheap isolation platform they use with their turntables. They take 1"mdf and place it on top of a piece of 3/8" bubble wrap. They then put their table on top of that. I haven't tried it but the price certainly seems right.

FWIW

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I have the cover off my player right now and I'm gonna add some Dynamat material to the inside cover.I will also place the place on an dampner platform to see if this helps.I'll keep you guys posted and take some pics of the results.

Ewwww... Dynamat. Won't that smell up the box for a month or so? I don't think it makes a big difference in the sound, at least not to computer cases. Maybe 1 or 2db, tops, according to reviews. Thicker layers of other foam, combined with doublestick tape, would seem to work much better, as long as it's still dense, flexible, and closed cell.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #50 of 73
Tuberoller,

Be carefull about applying TOO MUCH Dynamat to player. It can "deaden" the sound of the player too much. I have tried it and found that sticking more than 2 square inches of Dynamat will make the player sound too "constricted".

I simply place a small piece of mable (2" X3") and a cube of ebony (about 1" cube) on to of the player to damp the vibration. I also place the player on 3pc DH cone (Large) with DH square. It is inturn placed on a large IKEA 1.5" chopping board isolated on some elastoma similar to Focal Pods.

If you want to go all the way, you can try making a custom copper top chassis. But again nobody can be sure of the result.

Happy experimenting.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #51 of 73
I have used Dynamat before and it does sometimes muddy things a bit.I am still experimenting but this player can most certainly use the help.I will try some cone feet as well as a solid platform.I don't know if isolation or vibration damping or a combo of both is the solution but I will try them all to see and let you guys know.

BTW the newer dynamat is thinner and doesn't smell as bad.

Jan 27, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #52 of 73
I have used dynamat on the inside of players. The best I have found is too use a rectangular piece (size varyed among players but ranges from 2"x2 to 4" x 6" right above the transport.

I then use a set of vibrapods or cones under the player. Again this depends on the specific player. Currently my NS500V uses vibrapods and my 333ES uses cones.

Lastly for all my players I have used a sheet of sorbothane cut to fit the top with a piece of 3/4" oak on top of that. Not only does this damp cabinet resonances but at least in my case it increases WAF, which to me is priceless
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #53 of 73
I just spoke to a J&R salesman named Woody. I asked about the 963A and was told (verbatim quotes follow) "they're gone."

Excuse me, I said. Are you saying you're sold out at the moment?

"No, I'm saying they're not coming back."

But this isn't a discontinued model. It's a brand new one. Are you sure you don't mean you'd like me to buy something else because you don't have these right now?

"No, sir. I'm telling you we won't have this model any more."

Yeah, right. Or perhaps you're just strengthening my resolve never to buy anything from a J&R salesman named Woody.

Edit:

Just spoke to another J&R salesman. It seems the 963SA is on back order again. The price is $399 and the next shipment is expected in ten days. J&R is currently accepting orders.

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #54 of 73
Oh, BS. I just spoke 20 minutes ago with a guy named Richard at J&R. He told me they had 9 in stock(8 now
biggrin.gif
) . Also, he sold it to me for $390 which includes shipping. I said "Hell yea, let's do it!" So, I think I'll have one in my hands by the end of the week.

P.S. I don't think I like you guys anymore. You're all bad influences on my wallet!

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #56 of 73
Yea, I was shocked too! I called with the intention to confirm the price hadn't changed and when I gave him the J&R part number, he quoted $399. I then asked him how many he had as I wanted to think about it before I bought. He then said "Well, I have 9 in stock and I'll give it to you for $390 shipped." Umm, ok!

I am concerned about scrypt's update on his last post that said they are on backorder. This does seem to vary a bit from what I was told. I may call in this afternoon to confirm my order # and all just to see what they say.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
What's Richard's extension? If that guy's misinformed, I like his misinformation the best.

I just called and talked to /Paul/ who said they were sold out and would have new stock in two to three weeks (9:50 PST).

confirm: that salesperson was Paul not Jim.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by zoomin
I just called and talked to /Paul/ who said they were sold out and would have new stock in two to three weeks (9:50 PST).

confirm: that salesperson was Paul not Jim.

this is actually good news for me. it'll give me some time to pull together the money and regain some composure after this 963SA frenzy dies down a bit on these boards.

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
What's Richard's extension? If that guy's misinformed, I like his misinformation the best.

I wished that I'd asked for his extension now. I need to run out to my car and get my order number because I was definitely left with the impression that they had some. Regardless, I can wait as long as I get the good price. I'll post again once I've called about my order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back