What happened to the dedicated CD transport ?
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #91 of 95
Quote:
 I started this thread from simple frustration around the state of USB DACs, specifically the need to buy a second expensive  box simply to be able to get what you paid for when you bought the DAC, but it has devolved somewhat into the merits of dedicated CDTs. I accept that I might have titled it more appropriately, but 'Frustration about USB DACs' probably wouldnt have garnered a single hit. The irony is that going to a boutique CDT-DAC combination would cost as much as something like the Offramp->DAC combination I'm ranting about, and you would still be juggling CDs - hardly a winning proposition, but then I look at the money folk are prepared to pay for a good phono stage. It would seem that, whatever the medium, there is a price to be paid for getting the best from the pits and furrows which hold all that digital and analog magnificence.  

I actually think having a second box (USB-->spdif) is a good thing at this point in computer audio.  Technology for usb to spdif conversion is progressing quicker than DAC technology and having a separate box means you don't have to scrap the DAC when when new conversion tech comes out.  Audio GD alone has had like 4 different versions of their digital interface and by all accounts each one is better than the last.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #92 of 95
Quote:
Here's one.  Left over from the Audiophile equivalent of the Neolithic era.

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/cd555

$20,000, Yes that's right. It's thousands rather than a decimal point. All it does is play CDs. In a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a $20 optical drive and regular SoC DAC assembly.

When I compared my integrated optical players (one cd and two dvd) using their s/pdif outs into my Schiit Gungnir the difference between all three was surprisingly dramatic.  I didn't expect it as I was using the same stand alone DAC with each.

So I'd be willing to bet you could hear a difference between the CD555 and a random $20 optical drive.  Not necessarily an "improvement" but definitely a difference.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #93 of 95
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #95 of 95
I own a CD transport that plays "red book" it is a CYRUS XTSE2 [latest spec. ] It is specially designed by the digital design engineers in Cyrus with extremely  low jitter. the feed-in isn't a tray but a slot-NOT a car type but one SPECIALLY designed by the team NOT a "bought in " product -very smooth feed.
                    I also have a dedicated PS that plugs into the transport-can play without it  but reproduction of CD is enhanced by adding it.
                      All in an non-metallic box of die-cast construction.
                        Many companies sell hi-fi gear and you see in posts here people comparing products but for many that's it.
                          Not Cyrus they have a continual business policy of sending your Cyrus product into the factory for upgrade [a small portion of the full price item]   They use STAR -earthing and their equipment is tuned for NATURAL reproduction with an emphasis  

on the CORRECT amount of sibilance.
                The owners were originally employees in a 1970s/80s loudspeaker company in the UK who formed the new company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back