What happened to that Virtudal Dynamics Thread?
Feb 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

furball

100+ Head-Fier
Been pretty busy with other stuff lately, so haven't paid attention to what's going on in the forums lately. But what happened to that LONG Virtual Dyanmics thread? Did it get moved elsewhere?

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 17
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/my...er-3-a-293165/

I heard they're gonna make it a sticky.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 17
what's the value in that?

Maybe we should take apart an HE90 and display how Sennheiser can sell a collection of seemingly inexpensive parts for $5k

Even better, why don't we take apart an edition9 and trying to ascertain how can companies charge $1000 for a collection of plastic parts and some copper wires.

why don't you fund those 2 projects...I bet we can make it a sticky
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the value in that?

Maybe we should take apart an HE90 and display how Sennheiser can sell a collection of seemingly inexpensive parts for $5k

Even better, why don't we take apart an edition9 and trying to ascertain how can companies charge $1000 for a collection of plastic parts and some copper wires.

wink.gif

I can safely bet a whole lot more effort, research, and thought went into making either of those headphones. Considering 90%+ of the parts had to actually be designed and manufactured by the company (or manufactured by a third party exclusively for them), I'd say they were fairly priced. Thats even before you LISTEN to those headphones. You cannot judge the value of it by its raw materials (plastic, wood) alone, I'm sure the dies that they use probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each. Whereas a VD cable is just assembled out of pre-existing low quality parts requiring no engineering AT ALL. I severely doubt they even have a single engineer or anyone with professional scientific knowledge on payroll, yet they claim to be a technology company, bull****.

Honestly, I hate these back and forth arguments and I should probably ignore them, but sometimes I can't.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 17
Very Well said!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can safely bet a whole lot more effort, research, and thought went into making either of those headphones. Considering 90%+ of the parts had to actually be designed and manufactured by the company (or manufactured by a third party exclusively for them), I'd say they were fairly priced. Thats even before you LISTEN to those headphones. You cannot judge the value of it by its raw materials (plastic, wood) alone, I'm sure the dies that they use probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each. Whereas a VD cable is just assembled out of pre-existing low quality parts requiring no engineering AT ALL. I severely doubt they even have a single engineer or anyone with professional scientific knowledge on payroll, yet they claim to be a technology company, bull****.

Honestly, I hate these back and forth arguments and I should probably ignore them, but sometimes I can't.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 17
Cheeseman, I don't have that kind of money. Remember, the lack of funds is what kept me out of this whole Virtual Dynamics monkey business in the first place.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 17
furball, you know the next comment is going to be, "you're just jealous because you can't afford a fine cable (read: garden hose filled with birdshot) like this!"

See ya
Steve

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Even if I had the money, which I don't at the moment, I would rather spend that money on filling myself up with buffets than on buying garden hose.
tongue.gif

Oh wait, at $550, I think that's like 50 buffets, man, that's 2 months worth of buffets right there! (Usually when I go to buffets, I only eat that one meal in the whole day...
tongue.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
furball, you know the next comment is going to be, "you're just jealous because you can't afford a fine cable (read: garden hose filled with birdshot) like this!"

See ya
Steve

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Thats even before you LISTEN to those headphones. You cannot judge the value of it by its raw materials (plastic, wood) alone,

Exactly the same applies to a VD cable. If you (and several others) actually listened to a few of them before making comments like this, you would realize how foolish you sound.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 17
The only way to get one without paying WAY too much for it is to say lots and lots of reeeealllly nice things about Virtual Dynamics in this forum and wait for them to drop a few freebie "loaners" (wink wink) on me to "salt the pot". If I get real nasty and insulting about it, perhaps they will make me their "official representative" on HeadFi and I can move into their garage to live with them like one big happy family.

See ya
Steve

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly the same applies to a VD cable. If you (and several others) actually listened to a few of them before making comments like this, you would realize how foolish you sound.

That was exactly what he stated in that thread, see below, same none factual answer, and same non factual reactions, is that a pattern to follow for the beleivers??? I suggest to at least try to find more creative answers...he was talking about the DBT, but at the end could be applied here as well...

Quote:

Im sure, because cable believers tend to violently defend their cases with absolutely no factual evidence. So they just tell us, "If you listen to it, you'd know what I was saying". How can I reply to that? DBT would be ideal, but I can't use that. It kind of unbalances the playing field. Then when we want to argue the science of it, they just say, "Well thats what I'm hearing, the best piece of measuring equipment is your ear." (Acoustic Chef said something to this effect in a PM to me). They just ignore the obvious fact that they are completely wrong in this respect, as measuring equipment is thousands of times more sensitive than the human ear. Then they cite some obscure properties of conductors like skin effect and the like, disregarding the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the audible frequency range. Though it may make slight differences to the whole picture, these differences are inaudible, regardless of how good you think your hearing is. The list goes on and on. I always wonder why everyone perceives the same differences whenever they buy some uber-cable. Just about everyone claims "tighter bass" and "blacker background" and improved "detail" because thats what they expect from hearing what everyone else has said about a cable. Then good old Mr. Placebo kicks in. Of course I could rant all day, but it is inevitably futile, because common sense takes a back seat to subjectivity when it comes to cables.

All this bickering can be solved with DBT. Because they are irrefutable when correctly practiced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See ya
Steve

Now I posted those two commnet before mine, as I do not want that you beleive that is personal, I have nothing against the messenger, but the message itself This is plain wrong!!!

Now what makes you think that we the skeptics, have never tried them and listened them?
It is true that we may be skeptips by nature, but have you ever think that that could be also for the lack of psycial evidence, and I mean with that, simply becasue we have not found anything that we have tried that make us change our minds...Do you expect that we will try all possible existing variables to make up our mind?

FYI I have sold a few high end cables myself, after trying them, and realizing the kind of scam they were, as they did absolutelly nothing to my system, that is not that bad neither BTW...

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 17
FYI I have sold a few high end cables myself, after trying them, and realizing the kind of scam they were, as they did absolutelly nothing to my system, that is not that bad neither BTW...[/QUOTE]

X2, I used to have 3,000.00 speaker cable feeding my watt/puppies.
Then I tried magnet wire. That was the beginning of my reformation to at least a skeptical subjectivist.

I will gladly sell my 3,000.00 cable at a vastly reduced price to anyone who thinks it makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back