What happened to our privacy controls?
May 7, 2010 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grokit

Headphoneus Supremus
Seems like they're gone, now whatever is in our profile is open to search engines like Google?

Is our demographic information being harvested and sold now? To whom? Why is our birthdate and zip code now so suddenly important?

Seems like there's more control on Facebook now!

May 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 9
hehe, I clearly won't input any personal data on any public forum....google is watching us
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 8, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 9
yep, thats why I have no birthdate and show as global citizen on my personal info. looks like I won't be able to edit my profile though since those area have become required....

May 8, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
yep, thats why I have no birthdate and show as global citizen on my personal info. looks like I won't be able to edit my profile though since those area have become required....

Exactly - I was going to change some details in my profile, and it required my birthday and all this other info before I could save it.

May 8, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 9
I agree that the requirement for a birthday should be removed, and people's profiles not be public, certainly not readable by search engines.

May 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Indeed, profiles are accessible without logging in. What?! Common sense alone should tell that this isn't a good idea to put it mildly. Things like that do NOT inspire confidence...

May 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 9
It is true that the information available in your profile is now available to unregistered users.  Because anyone could access it immediately by registering an account, it was generally viewed as public information, but I understand your concerns.  If you have concerns about your privacy now, you can always remove that information from your profile.

Because of COPPA guidelines, we are required by US law to collect your birthdate to ensure that you are at least 13 years old.  This information, however, will never be made public unless you specifically elect to make it public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back