What Format is Your Music?
Mar 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #136 of 216
I use my ALAC-files everywhere, easiest way. So what if I can´t get everything from it with my portaPro and iPod? At least the sound is as good as it can with that equipment.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #139 of 216
Mine is mostly Apple lossless, its worth the increased filesize over 320kbps MP3 in my opinion.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #140 of 216
10% LAME (V0, rarely V2)/75% 320/15% FLAC and Lossless derivatives (WMAL, ALAC, etc.).

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #142 of 216
My music is all MP3 in the highest bitrate I can get my hands on. It's free music produced and distributed by independent artists for free. When I'm lucky, it's available in 320kbps, but it could sometimes go down to 160kbps. I usually avoid 128kbps tracks entirely.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #144 of 216
CD, Vinyl (recorded at 24/96), SACD, Hi-Res download.
Portable: all Apple Lossless.
Stationary: full, uncompressed on HDD.
L3000.gif

Never MP3.

shane

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #146 of 216
It's ludicrously ignorant to call anything below 256 kb/s 'low quality' :p

I own many CDs, but I rarely listen to them directly. I rip them to FLAC for archiving, and then transcode the FLAC files to OGG Vorbis 192 kb/s for listening. I could probably go to 160 or lower but I haven't done the research and I'm not hurting for 10 megabytes of space per album yet.

In short: CDs get stored on the shelf, FLAC gets stored on my external HDD, and OGG192 gets stored on my PMP. If I find out a lossy format becomes even more efficient and can sustain transparency at lower bit rates, you can bet I'll start encoding to that for my regular listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soaa- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My music is all MP3 in the highest bitrate I can get my hands on. It's free music produced and distributed by independent artists for free. When I'm lucky, it's available in 320kbps, but it could sometimes go down to 160kbps. I usually avoid 128kbps tracks entirely.

128 kb/s mp3 is pretty good if they're encoding with the most recent version. In abx listening tests users could only find a difference in 50% of tracks, and that's only one momentary part of the song with extremely careful listening. You probably will not notice in normal listening sessions, so you should give their music a chance :p :p I find it a bit ironic though that someone willing to spend a lot of money on audio equipment (or at least, presumably since you're here), would be such a penny pincher about buying CDs. And if you are cheap enough that you are listening to your music with a pair of 20 dollar headphones, I don't really understand why you are so concerned with the minimal amount of distortion you might hear from a sanely encoded mp3 file and not concerned with the relatively high amount of distortion that will be coming from your headset... Just food for thought. The independent artists you listen to probably aren't recording with the greatest equipment ever anyway, though I sense this is a thinly veiled attempt to hide that you are stealing music
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #150 of 216
CDs mostly and some vinyls.And some MP3 albums.

Its not that hard to start having a lot of albums.
Like I like band I like a album I get 4 more,a few more and next thing you know you own the whole discography of a band except maybe the live albums or even those too.
I know some people just likes some albums or songs. But I think with quality headphones I just enjoy music more.I enjoy albums.
So I like some bands entire discography sure albums are better than others and songs are better etc.. but I like all the albums.

BMG Music service was a pretty cool way of getting albums too bad they closed it their excuse nobody cares about CDs anymore just MP3s.Although sometimes the selection wasn't the greatest but sometimes it worked out great.11 cds (free somewhat) $2.79 ea(shipping) just buy 1 for $18.99
I got almost every Rush album for just $2.79 just paid shipping and a bunch of other stuff.There was also always free albums just pay shipping coupon codes out there.

Collecting albums is part of the hobby for me.
No satisfaction in just having the MP3s.
Someone might say oh how materialistic no its not like a movie or something and I'm done with it so I just rent it.
There is just something cool about and satisfying about owning the albums having all 16 Judas Priest studio albums for example.
I'm sure other music fans here know what I mean.
And I'm sure everyone has something or some hobby where they have a collection.
And some stuff I don't like that much so I only own a few albums or just 1.
Or nothing at all I just listen to their stuff and nope nothing.
So its not like I have to have the entire discography its just for some bands/artist I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back