What foods won't you eat?
Sep 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #196 of 424

Quote:
I didn't really mention any diet, did I?  I just said what I didn't eat. But no, you would not offend me at all by saying you found my diet to be boring.   If your folks are great chefs then you should know food that is good for your health does not have to be boring.  I think I know what you mean, though - there was a time I might have said the same thing.  It doesn't really pan out that way though, at least not in my experience.  When you eliminate all the crap that's screwing with your bodies natural abilities to regulate, things just get quite different.   I can't tell you I'm the picture of health either.  My doc tells me I'm healthy, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.  My dad's doc told him he was healthy too, year after year, decade after decade, until one day he didn't have that to report.  Many of the folks fighting cancer, old and young, can tell you the same thing - they might have been the picture of health one day, and a month later they are fighting for their life.  That scares me. If I have anything to say about it, I don't want to die that way. Getting old is effortless really, you don't have to do anything, just show up and it happens.   There are some rewards in that process, and if you look around you you'll see there are many really amazing older people enjoying their lives still and who have wonderful things to contribute.  If you choose to focus on the negative,  indeed, there are some aspects of it that really suck.  I'd like to make it as enjoyable as possible and that's one of the reasons I choose to try to eat healthy and educate myself on the subject.   I wouldn't let getting older scare you though.  There are much worse things in life than getting old. 

I guess but with age comes many things i don't want.

Weakness, loss of sight, loss of hearing, loss of mobility, needing to get help from people. I don't like the sound of that. It isn't really that i eat unhealthy all the time as i am fed healthy food it's just that i am lazy. And i feel if i am spending money on food i want to buy something i would enjoy.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #197 of 424

Quote:

I may try to change my life but i don't really want to. I don't like walking places without a clear destination. I don't enjoy working out. And i am gladly happy wasting away my life at a computer. Perhaps i will die young. But if i die at 40 that would actually be great. I really don't want to make it past 50 anyways. Being old scares me.

No problem dude. You should live your life the way you see fit, but its not a bad thing to keep your options open. There's nothing urgent to worry about, and you do have a lot of time and leeway to figure it out.

I had a fat and salt heavy diet most of my life, but luckily have been active and in top condition most of the time as well (injuries excepted). 

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #198 of 424
Discussion on diet is interesting.

I wasn't interested in it at all - until recently (last 12 months) when I finally decided to do something about myself - looked in a mirror and didn't like what I saw.

It's actually funnier than that (although I didn't see it at the time).  I took a client to Queenstown - and he wanted to bungy-jump, so naturally I had to as well (I do not like heights either).  One of the things they do is take a photo at the top - they also weigh you to make sure the bungy cord is the right tension.  They write the number on your hand - and also transmit it to the jump station.  When we got to the top of the bridge, the operator looked at my hand, and just made one comment - "oh - big boy".  Anyway, did the jump, and went to the counter to collect the photos.  Didn't realise how much weight I'd put on over the last 10 years.

I'm just on 6ft, and at the time, weighed 103kg (227lb).

I'm 44 - and I suddenly realised that if I didn't change something, I was rapidly heading toward heart attack territory.

12 months ago a group of us (from work) got together and ran a light-hearted competition.  The aim was to lose some weight - and we made it a bit of a competition.  The nice thing about a group doing it - motivation is easier.  Anyway - the competition lasted 12 weeks - everybody set a goal at the beginning, we learnt about nutrition and exercise - and although it was hard work, it was worth it.  I ended up at 82kg (~181 lb) - a 21kg (46lb) loss.  If you'd asked me before I started if I thought in my wildest dreams that as a 44yo it was possible - I wouldn't have believed it.

Here's the thing though - I didn't 'diet' by cutting down my food.  I changed my diet by altering what and when I ate, and increasing my exercise.  It's also a great way to switch off for an hour, and simply listen to music - while you work-out.

It is absolutely amazing what you can do by understanding your body and how it works - then making a few changes, and watching the results.  Your body is just a machine really.  Feed it the right ingredients, work it a bit more, and weight loss is guaranteed.

Unfortunately - over the Winter I've been pretty lazy, and let myself slip (currently just on 90kg) - so time to take stock again.  My own fault - slipped back into bad habits.

Question - for anybody contemplating shedding a few lbs.  If I set up a thread in the members lounge - would there be enough interest to run a program for 10 weeks?  All you'd need to do is be willing to participate, post your progress twice a week, and at the beginning set a target.  If enough interest, I'd set it up.  With enough people doing it, motivation becomes easier for everyone.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #199 of 424

Quote:
Discussion on diet is interesting.

I wasn't interested in it at all - until recently (last 12 months) when I finally decided to do something about myself - looked in a mirror and didn't like what I saw.

It's actually funnier than that (although I didn't see it at the time).  I took a client to Queenstown - and he wanted to bungy-jump, so naturally I had to as well (I do not like heights either).  One of the things they do is take a photo at the top - they also weigh you to make sure the bungy cord is the right tension.  They write the number on your hand - and also transmit it to the jump station.  When we got to the top of the bridge, the operator looked at my hand, and just made one comment - "oh - big boy".  Anyway, did the jump, and went to the counter to collect the photos.  Didn't realise how much weight I'd put on over the last 10 years.

I'm just on 6ft, and at the time, weighed 103kg (227lb).

I'm 44 - and I suddenly realised that if I didn't change something, I was rapidly heading toward heart attack territory.

12 months ago a group of us (from work) got together and ran a light-hearted competition.  The aim was to lose some weight - and we made it a bit of a competition.  The nice thing about a group doing it - motivation is easier.  Anyway - the competition lasted 12 weeks - everybody set a goal at the beginning, we learnt about nutrition and exercise - and although it was hard work, it was worth it.  I ended up at 82kg (~181 lb) - a 21kg (46lb) loss.  If you'd asked me before I started if I thought in my wildest dreams that as a 44yo it was possible - I wouldn't have believed it.

Here's the thing though - I didn't 'diet' by cutting down my food.  I changed my diet by altering what and when I ate, and increasing my exercise.  It's also a great way to switch off for an hour, and simply listen to music - while you work-out.

It is absolutely amazing what you can do by understanding your body and how it works - then making a few changes, and watching the results.  Your body is just a machine really.  Feed it the right ingredients, work it a bit more, and weight loss is guaranteed.

Unfortunately - over the Winter I've been pretty lazy, and let myself slip (currently just on 90kg) - so time to take stock again.  My own fault - slipped back into bad habits.

Question - for anybody contemplating shedding a few lbs.  If I set up a thread in the members lounge - would there be enough interest to run a program for 10 weeks?  All you'd need to do is be willing to participate, post your progress twice a week, and at the beginning set a target.  If enough interest, I'd set it up.  With enough people doing it, motivation becomes easier for everyone.

I am slightly interested actually.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #200 of 424

Quote:
I am slightly interested actually.

Well if I get 10-12 people interested (or more), it would be worth trying.  All it would need is personal honesty, a bit of application, and a set of scales.  Good part is that there should be enough people who know some things about nutrition on here to help out the ones who don't.  I'll wait and see if anyone else is interested.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #201 of 424

Quote:
Well if I get 10-12 people interested (or more), it would be worth trying.  All it would need is personal honesty, a bit of application, and a set of scales.  Good part is that there should be enough people who know some things about nutrition on here to help out the ones who don't.  I'll wait and see if anyone else is interested.

I wouldn't mind getting into shape and losing a bit of weight it's just motivation that could be tricky.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #202 of 424

Quote:
I wouldn't mind getting into shape and losing a bit of weight it's just motivation that could be tricky.

I found the motivation came when people started recording their weekly weight losses.  It can start getting competitive - and that leads to motivation to do better.  I also found that with a group - there was a lot of encouragement plus we all ended up swapping ideas for what worked and what didn't.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #203 of 424
I want to opine that health food is potentially great without the compromise of flavor. There is this common perception that eating healthy is the void of flavor and that the fatty foods is the real deal of enjoying food.

This is true in many ways as I love fatty foods and the high cholesterol stuff. Pork fat rules and I am a bonafide butter lover. However, I love Vietnamese food  as well and a lot of the Mediterranean healthy foods as well which happens to be much leaner and less red meat oriented. 

Some people will say that the Western Diet (the meat and potatoes style- Western pattern diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the true way to enjoy food but I strongly disagree. The diet of Vietnam and the Mediterranean area is outstanding and in no ways is a watered down way of eating. I have never seen a fat Vietnamese person and they do not feel deprived of great food. So in recent times, I have eliminated a lot of the Western Diet in my intake and decided to eat healthy and I feel more energetic and over all better. To me, it's not about trying to live longer. It's about increasing my energy and quality of life.

My prediction for the future is that the Western Diet will become less popular as society is getting more creative with really good alternatives. I do feel that many of us are brain washed into thinking that the meat and potatoes diet is the best way to eat but in reality it's just one of the choices of great food. There are other possibilities of awesome food out there and we are entering the age of better awareness.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #204 of 424

Quote:
I want to opine that health food is potentially great without the compromise of flavor. There is this common perception that eating healthy is the void of flavor and that the fatty foods is the real deal of enjoying food.

This is true in many ways as I love fatty foods and the high cholesterol stuff. Pork fat rules and I am a bonafide butter lover. However, I love Vietnamese food  as well and a lot of the Mediterranean healthy foods as well which happens to be much leaner and less red meat oriented. 

Some people will say that the Western Diet (the meat and potatoes style- Western pattern diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the true way to enjoy food but I strongly disagree. The diet of Vietnam and the Mediterranean area is outstanding and in no ways is a watered down way of eating. I have never seen a fat Vietnamese person and they do not feel deprived of great food. So in recent times, I have eliminated a lot of the Western Diet in my intake and decided to eat healthy and I feel more energetic and over all better. To me, it's not about trying to live longer. It's about increasing my energy and quality of life.

My prediction for the future is that the Western Diet will become less popular as society is getting more creative with really good alternatives. I do feel that many of us are brain washed into thinking that the meat and potatoes diet is the best way to eat but in reality it's just one of the choices of great food. There are other possibilities of awesome food out there and we are entering the age of better awareness.

Agree - and when you look into the science of it as well - we're much better off substituting complex carbs (esp green leafy vegetables / salads) for the simple carbs (potatoes, breads, pasta) anyway.  Body takes longer and more energy to process the food - you still get your carb intake - but it takes more energy to process it. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #205 of 424

Quote:
I found the motivation came when people started recording their weekly weight losses.  It can start getting competitive - and that leads to motivation to do better.  I also found that with a group - there was a lot of encouragement plus we all ended up swapping ideas for what worked and what didn't.

For a bit of motivation and encouragement, do check out the one film I mentioned previously, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" - which was made by and Aussie who came to the same realization you have.  His was a bit more far gone, though around the same age as you, as was the other person he ends up helping.  Again, not suggesting it's the only way to go, as far as how to loose weight and be healthy, but its all good fuel for thought.  That film and "Forks Over Knives" will really get you (anyone) thinking about their diet.  Good on'ya for a great idea -  you should just create the thread in the general forum and see if you get more interest since more might see it.  Hell, I could use to loose about 15-20 lbs myself.  I might join you in that. 

And for bcasey25raptor - in that latter film, Forks Over Knives, the two very prominent researchers in that film are currently in their 70's.  One of them started out trying to help his family farming business which was in the meat industry.  You might just be inspired to see what 70+ can look like and be like in the case of those two guys. It doesn't have to end in dementia, diabetes, loss of senses, teeth, mind, etc.  I guess that's what I'm wanting to avoid. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #206 of 424
There's this radical new study that found if you reduce your caloric intake and increase caloric burn you loose weight.  Freaking crazy!

Btw, Dr. Campbell from 'Forks over Knives' is so full of crap and bad science he even has no choice but to basically concede it if you actually read his study.  He tucks it away and buries it.  Watching that movie was like reading most of the stuff in the 'science' forum here.  The logical flaw should be easy to spot in the analytical linkage he makes with his conclusion.  That guy is a borderline shill.  It's just a diet gimmick like all the rest.  

Don't eat crap and don't overeat.  The answer has always been there.   

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #207 of 424

Quote:
Agree - and when you look into the science of it as well - we're much better off substituting complex carbs (esp green leafy vegetables / salads) for the simple carbs (potatoes, breads, pasta) anyway.  Body takes longer and more energy to process the food - you still get your carb intake - but it takes more energy to process it. 

Don't get veggies mixed up with complex carbs. Complex carbs are whole grains that haven't been refined. An example is brown rice which is the whole grain and therefore complex, vs. white rice which is a simple carb because it has been refined. Or 100% whole wheat flour vs. white flour, the latter has had the germ removed. Simple carbs will last in storage much longer than the complex carbs, that is why we started processing whole grains into simple carbs in the first place. For example a bag of white rice will last much longer in storage than a bag of brown rice. One exception that I know of is steel-cut or rolled oats, they will last quite a while in storage and are complex carbs/whole grains. Potatoes are a little different since they are starchy and not a grain, white potatoes have no nutritional value but the colored ones do; both have a good amount of dietary fiber. Sweet potatoes/yams have good nutritional value but also have a lot of sugar in them. The ultimate simple carb is refined white sugar so it's not always grains.

The main issue is that if you want to eat healthy and/or boost your metabolism to lose weight, avoid carbs in general and simple carbs completely. Everyone has different issues though, like some people need to avoid sugars to keep their blood sugar or candida (yeast) in check, and some need to avoid gluten because of allergies and celiac disease. THere are others that must avoid certain foods because of allergies. Fruit isn't a good dessert for those that have metabolistic sugar issues, as it wants to be digested rapidly and will ferment and cause problems if eaten after a meal. It's better eaten as a snack or an appetizer, on an empty stomach so it has room to rapidly digest. There are so many issues with eating healthy, but in general it's best to eat whole foods, that are as fresh and locally produced as possible, and avoid chemical additives and processing as much as you can.

I have completed a couple of training programs in raw foods and vegan/vegetarian and ethnic healing cuisines and have been a spa chef, if anybody wants to know more I can answer most specific questions regarding special dietary needs and therapeutic cuisines. I do eat meat, but as a rule in the West we eat way more meat that we can process from a nutritional/dietary standpoint.

Edit: I just want to make a couple of points about fat and calories. You can lose weight on a high-fat diet if you eat the right kind of fats in the right ways, and that calories are best viewed thermodynamically as they are basically units of stored energy that need to be burned off so they don't become harmful. But our body's first choice for energy are fats.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #208 of 424
Thanks for the correction grokit.

I do know that some veggies contain complex carbs though (http://www.listofcarbohydrates.net/).

What I basically did was cut out spuds, pasta and bread - and ate more cabbage, lettuce, etc.  So I guess I reduced my carb count right down - but you definitely can't cut it out altogether.  Surprised me with what the body does when it gets deprived of certain things.  Cutting too many carbs - led to the 'fuzzy brain' feeling.  Getting the proper balance was interesting to say the least.  What surprised me further was little tips and tricks I learnt along the way .... like drinking green tea can raise your metabolism by up to 3%.

I'll definitely get in touch for advise if the 'weight loss' thread gets realised.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #209 of 424
That is a weird-looking list to me, I have never heard of green vegetables for example being termed as carbohydrates. It seems that anything not a protein is a carb to them, yet they include legumes which contain protein. When you go to the about us page, comments are deleted and closed. But they are trying to sell a book after all. When I google complex carbohydrates it seems that every page I look at has a different interpretation of what that term encompasses.

This (truncated) explanation makes more sense to me, as I am trained in natural/whole/healing foods, and am not a nutritionist or chemist:

"All carbohydrates form glucose when digested. Glucose is transported around the body via blood and taken into cells to be converted into energy. The slower the release of glucose and hormones, the more stable and sustainable the energy levels of the body. The more refined the carbohydrate, the faster the glucose is released into your blood. This can cause peaks and drops in your blood sugar level and less stable energy levels in the body. Complex carbohydrates provide a slower and more sustained release of energy than simple carbohydrates. In their natural form they contribute to long-term good health, appetite control and sustained energy levels."

I just can't relate to things like spinach or broccoli being converted into glucose, I see them more as a source of essential nutrients and fiber. 

The wiki carbohydrate page has some interesting info:

"Foods high in carbohydrate include fruits, sweets, soft drinks, breads, pastas, beans, potatoes, bran, rice, and cereals. Carbohydrates are a common source of energy in living organisms; however, no carbohydrate is an essential nutrient in humans.

Historically nutritionists have classified carbohydrates as either simple or complex, however, the exact delineation of these categories is ambiguous"

It goes on to explain that the definition of a complex carbohydrate changes depending on who is using it:

"However, the term complex carbohydrate was first used in slightly different context in the U.S. Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs publication Dietary Goals for the United States (1977). In this work, complex carbohydrate were defined as "fruit, vegetables and whole-grains". Some nutritionists use complex carbohydrate to refer to any sort of digestible saccharide present in a whole food, where fiber, vitamins and minerals are also found (as opposed to processed carbohydrates, which provide calories but few other nutrients)."

The way I was trained carbs are grains and the more starchy vegetables, and simple carbs are processed grains and all sugars.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #210 of 424

Quote:
Thanks for the correction grokit.

I do know that some veggies contain complex carbs though (http://www.listofcarbohydrates.net/).

What I basically did was cut out spuds, pasta and bread - and ate more cabbage, lettuce, etc.  So I guess I reduced my carb count right down - but you definitely can't cut it out altogether.  Surprised me with what the body does when it gets deprived of certain things.  Cutting too many carbs - led to the 'fuzzy brain' feeling.  Getting the proper balance was interesting to say the least.  What surprised me further was little tips and tricks I learnt along the way .... like drinking green tea can raise your metabolism by up to 3%.

I'll definitely get in touch for advise if the 'weight loss' thread gets realised.

You're definitely on the right track though, which is the most important thing. As adherent of the Atkins diet know, you can cut carbs out completely (at least carbs the way I define them), but only temporarily. When you start to approach your target weight that's the time to gradually re-introduce the complex carbs. Nobody needs simple carbs in their diet at all, even if they are fun in a "let them eat cake" kind of way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back