What foods is your locale famous for?
Nov 28, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
So how does that vegimite (sp?) taste?

Well...being such a multicultural place I was born in Uruguay and was 3 years old when we came to Sydney. I wasn't fed vegemite as a child and I think vegemite is an acquired taste so I have never liked it. Actually, I really dislike it. I was going to say I'm not the typical Australian, but actually I think there is no typical Australian. My wife likes vegemite a lot. She was born in Sydney from Lebanese parents.

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #77 of 90
I grew up in Philly so The Philly cheesesteaks is the famous sandwich associated . But I would argue that pizza is more common, mainly because it’s cheaper.

I also say pizza because If you venture to other regional parts of the USA, pizza is less common and more expensive and not as good. So I would say pizza for the Philly, New Jersey, New York region and other neighboring states (within about the 300 mile area)

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #78 of 90
I've been all over, and I personally find Chicago to have a rich blue collar food culture which jives with me. Taste of Chicago is probably worth visiting for a lot of people. Vienna beef and Kronos. I do really like the BBQ from the South, particularly Texas.

I want to visit Japan and Korea to experience the creative cuisines there as well. In the modern times, there seems to be a big rise in interesting cuisines there.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #80 of 90
In Chicago, I attended this university surrounded by different ethnic communities. The best sub sandwich I had was from this Italian corner store with a deli.
The first time I walked in a Subway and saw their sub, I almost laugh. The best gyro I ate was from this small gyro sandwich shop in a Greek neighborhood.
And there was pizza at Gino's on Rush street. And Chinese food in Chinatown, my friend who was half Chinese ordered from a Chinese menu not english menu.
The best polish sausage sandwich was from the Polish neighborhood.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #81 of 90
Arthurs Paradise diner Bootmill Sandwhich Dbl bacon xtra cheese... famous breakfast sandwich in Lowell, Ma

AAF6E318-B9A5-463C-9E23-667AFDF8F558.jpeg

Donut grinders... all donut! Donnas donuts Tewksbury, maDA19E74C-0307-449C-9290-78CDB59C6FA5.jpeg

Attachments

• D82F50CB-331E-4102-96F7-F295047197AD.jpeg
    D82F50CB-331E-4102-96F7-F295047197AD.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #82 of 90
For anyone visiting Japan, the most famous city for local foods is probably Osaka. I spent about 8 days there and loved the their local specialties like the Okonomiyaki (it’s like a cabbage pancake) and Kushikatsu (fried meat on a stick). You can find these items in America but it’s not as good so you need to hop on a plane!

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #84 of 90
I went to Suzhou several times and got to taste the famous stinky tofu. This guy I worked with said once you get passed the smell its actually not bad. Well, I never got passed the smell.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #85 of 90
I saw this video and realized how much innovations in food is happening in other countries. This is Korean breakfast toast sandwiches, and it evolved into this. I've been in the US long enough, and besides the food cultures that evolved in different cities from immigrants over the years, it's usually the same these days, not much changes.

I think countries developed to a good level for disposable income, and dense urbanization causes competition and people's drive to innovate and compete for customers, and results in things like this. Is you go to rural areas in the US, you won't see anything new.

I know the US like to place their chains in developing countries, but they become unpopular after awhile because when the country develops, the country develops better food chains.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #86 of 90
I've have yet to find any other place that can make Polish sausage dog as good as this. And I remember when Maxwell Polish was super cheap. Same place had porkchop sandwiches as well.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #87 of 90
B8B7377E-AAB9-4486-84D2-806E679B7C8A.jpeg

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2019/06/chris-shepherd-best-chef-in-the-world-robb-report

Chris Shepherd (pictured above) was voted as the best chef in the world by Robb Report in 2019 for constantly fusing cultural influences into his cuisine. Even the current pandemic has not slowed this guy down as he has many chefs making personal meals for the local H-E-B supermarkets to sell. More on him here:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/wo...fect-ribs-montana-dreams-and-more-01592414127

Even if the three main cuisines in Houston is still BBQ (American Central-to-Atlantic), Cajun Creole (American SouthEast-to-Gulf-Coast), and Tex-Mex (US-Mexico border), a ton of cultures have restaurants all over the Greater Houston area. Even as this one Bosnian restaurant that was featured on “Dine-Ins, Drive-Ins, and Dives” closed down (Cafe Pita Plus, and my bro thinks that this show curses the eateries they feature), I found at least two other Bosnian restaurants on a recent Houston map. Even if you read Chris Shepherd’s cookbooks, there are still many different cuisines to discover in Houston. I will end it there. :wink:

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #88 of 90

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #90 of 90
In Chicago, I attended this university surrounded by different ethnic communities. The best sub sandwich I had was from this Italian corner store with a deli.
The first time I walked in a Subway and saw their sub, I almost laugh. The best gyro I ate was from this small gyro sandwich shop in a Greek neighborhood.
And there was pizza at Gino's on Rush street. And Chinese food in Chinatown, my friend who was half Chinese ordered from a Chinese menu not english menu.
The best polish sausage sandwich was from the Polish neighborhood.
I think a good rich food culture arrises from immigrants as we are all a bunch of either immigrants or later gneration kids of immagrants. This is what makes culture a bit richer when it comes to changes in cuisine because the customers are not homogonous, but of other ethnicities, and certain food types will thrive over other among the general populous.

I think mainly Greeks run the mom and pop fast food in Chi-town that serve variety. The various menu option came out of melting pot of immagrants and developments in food from reaction of the general populous. Lots if Mexican restraunts, lits of good ones. I also like the American Chinese food there as well. They use quality ingrediants for pizza, lots of cheese, and sweet tomato sauce, and best pizza is italian sausage. Quite a bit of italian influence in food creations as well.

The subs you want to eat in Chicago are from mom and pop stores. Italian run deli always has the best italian sandwiches anywhere you go.

Polish food is something I didn't try really. The city has a large Polish population. I recall trying Polish sausage and saurkraut that a Polish friend's mom made though.

I feel like there a good amout of food creations resulted earlier on with the melting pot of immagrants in Chicago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back