What file format for music do you use?
Oct 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

boy1234

New Head-Fier
So what threshold (ie 192kbps, 128kbps) do you limit your music at for your portable music player?

So for example if you cannot tell between a 192kbps file to a FLAC file, your threshold would be 192kbps...(as you can see I may not be using the right jargon sorry I'm new to the whole audiophile thing)

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 24
No limit here. All FLAC, all the time. Phone is 80GB storage, have a selection of my favourite music on there, otherwise I stream from a 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite drive (really can't wait for 128GB micro SD cards to come out, then will be able to go all FLAC directly on the portable).

Don't think going FLAC is a must by any means, but got tired of maintaining my collection in two forms, and once the S3 came along with USB audio meaning I could use stuff like my T5p/Ed8/W3k from my phone via a quality DAC/amp combo I just ditched the mp3s. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 24
By the way guys, how do we check the MP3 quality of the file?

Is there a certain program that you guys use? Is the audio properties in the windows tab to be trusted?

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 24
By the way guys, how do we check the MP3 quality of the file?

Is there a certain program that you guys use? Is the audio properties in the windows tab to be trusted?

If you're using windows you should be able to right click on the track and select properties >> details and it will tell you the bitrate. if you have dBpower amp it gives you a lot more information such as 16 / 24bit the frequency 44.1 KHz, compression rate etc etc. but for basic checking of MP3's just right click as mentioned above.

I used to use 320kbps but started using FLAC 16bit 44.1 KHz for everything, I tend to ignore anything 320kbps now, though it's the lowest I would go...

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 24
What I'd actually expect from an audiophile community!

To be honest, I can't really tell the difference from a 192kbps to a flac. Hopefully I can pick up the subtle differences after I spend some time listening to 320kbps-flac only files. :3

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 24
What I'd actually expect from an audiophile community!

To be honest, I can't really tell the difference from a 192kbps to a flac. Hopefully I can pick up the subtle differences after I spend some time listening to 320kbps-flac only files. :3

Well for me it depends what IEM using too. If I'm using a $35 pair of SoundMAGIC E10 I won't notice the differences between 192kbps to 320kbps as easily, (though I still can). If however the headphone / source / IEM is of higher quality and rather revealing the changes are noticed easier for me. So it depends on your gear as well.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 24
All my material is ripped to FLAC on my pc, but i convert it to 256 kbps oggs for mobile use. The portable gear I use is either an 80gig 5.5 ipod or my phone (64gig xperia), listening with my ultimate ears super fi 5 pro's. Don't see the point in using flac's on the go because I won't notice the difference in sound quality
ph34r.gif
due to too much background noise most of the time on such things as a simple walk around town or my commute and I really don't have that much spare room left for my music.
The audio quality of the phone is pretty aweful as well, I tend to find that even 256 is way overkill for use on there but I haven't got round to convert the lot again. Why do I still use the phone then? Because as I've said in some situations (subways for example) even with good iems I wouldn't notice the quality difference and one less device to carry around in my pockets when I don't feel like packing too much.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 24
Since iTunes added the option to convert to 256kb/s AAC a while back, that is the one I use. With ALAC my library didn't quite fit the iPod Classic. Certainly good enough for portable use, and no drawback in usability. Would prefer 320kb/s but that's no option yet.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
All my material is ripped to FLAC on my pc, but i convert it to 256 kbps oggs for mobile use. The portable gear I use is either an 80gig 5.5 ipod or my phone (64gig xperia), listening with my ultimate ears super fi 5 pro's. Don't see the point in using flac's on the go because I won't notice the difference in sound quality
ph34r.gif
due to too much background noise most of the time on such things as a simple walk around town or my commute and I really don't have that much spare room left for my music.
The audio quality of the phone is pretty aweful as well, I tend to find that even 256 is way overkill for use on there but I haven't got round to convert the lot again. Why do I still use the phone then? Because as I've said in some situations (subways for example) even with good iems I wouldn't notice the quality difference and one less device to carry around in my pockets when I don't feel like packing too much.

Just searched those earphones on google and they're $300 on amazon. That is absolutely bonkers! I'm guessing those have a lifetime warranty? ;o

Also, I plan to use a set of IEMs for jogging...which ones under $50 would you recommend? (preferably hooks)

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
Just searched those earphones on google and they're $300 on amazon. That is absolutely bonkers! I'm guessing those have a lifetime warranty? ;o

Also, I plan to use a set of IEMs for jogging...which ones under $50 would you recommend? (preferably hooks)

Bonkers? Man you are in the wrong forums...
tongue_smile.gif
 Wait until you start looking into custom IEMs(you will. Give it time).
biggrin.gif

All FLAC all the time here.

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
ph34r.gif

sounds like you may want am iem with better isolation, or try different tips with the sf5?

Quote:
Bonkers? Man you are in the wrong forums...
tongue_smile.gif
 Wait until you start looking into custom IEMs(you will. Give it time).
biggrin.gif

All FLAC all the time here.

only reason is that the sf5 is discontinued, they're not actually that good...
try the sony mh1s, that's what i use when i'm just going for a quick trip with only my phone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret
$22 shipped on ebay, i use these more than my IE8, since it's got a mic + control and close sound quality...
It sounds comparatively brighter and more exciting.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 24
WAV all the way for me, works on anything and gives the best sound, none of my players show artwork

originally i did everything at 320/aac, but aside from my Nokia N8, ,nothing else plays them

Wav is the most reliable format and best sounding, so for me its a no brainer, especially now large hard drives are so cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back