What exactly IS an iMod?
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

JennaFF

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've seen them around and for sale, and I checked out the website...I really don't get what they DO. What are the differences between normal ipods? Is it worth buying one? What are the advantages? Disadvantages?

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 48
because some wire is very expensive and so are the connectors used. that and people have to charge a lot to keep their small businesses running. There are $10,000+ cables out there for full sized systems don't forget.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 48
^ Also some of those cables have special capacitors inside them to work with a 5/5.5g iMod which also adds to their bloated price.
Basically an iMod changes the internal circuitry to allow the audio signal to bi-pass the internal amp and go directly to the Line Out and then onto an external amp of your choosing.
As it says on their website the modding process will allow for; 
Quote:

1. Tighter, more articulate bass (not necessarily more bass quantity… but much improved bass control and definition)
  2. A richer, more seductive midrange
  3. A less flat and more expansive imaging (the soundstage needs to open up and become more 3D… more wide, more deep, and with a better sense of height in recordings that offer this level of resolution).
  4. Improved transients/dynamics
  5. More detail retrieval and overall transparency
  6. Superior treble extension and sweetness, as well as better decay of long held notes and delicate harmonics

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 48
I think you mean 'amp'? Bypassing the DAC will be in the territory of Wadia iTransport.

Quote:
Basically an iMod changes the internal circuitry to allow the audio signal to bi-pass the internal DAC and go directly to the Line Out and then onto an external amp of your choosing.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 48
^ Sadly made me chuckle.
popcorn.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 48
Aug 6, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 48
So if I were to get an imod ipod, would it be better to get an older 4G model so I don't need the expensive 200 dollar cables? Also, I can't find a price on what it costs to get one modded, does anyone here know?

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 48
Keep in mind that iPods are engineered to have a four year lifespan.  How much do you want to spend on an iPod that already has one foot in the grave?

Also, Apple probably won't repair a modded unit.  If it fails, you'd either have to cannibalize another iPod for parts or start over again with a new one.

I love my stock iPod.  But I see it as a disposable music player.  It can't be affordably repaired and when it dies, the new ones will be much better, so I'll buy a new one.  Instead, I dumped money into the tube gear and turntable.  All of those can be repaired and should easily outlast me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back